Mention career alternatives on PS??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wildhorse

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be a bad idea to mention that I will also be applying to other healthcare programs, including DO programs?? Is this seen positively because it shows commitment to the field more than the degree?? Is it a mistake to admit I may be satisfied with what some people see as a lesser degree??

Members don't see this ad.

You want to do your best to convince programs that you're applying to that those programs are what you want. That being said, how do you think mentioning other programs/degrees will influence how MD programs will view your app?

It seems you're suggesting it's a bad idea?? I see your point, but it's a double-edged sword. It shows I'm not fully committed to MD over DO, but let's be honest, the differences are shallow. Applying to one MD & one DO program isn't a lot different than applying to two MD programs. It seems ridiculous to think adcoms want to believe you applied as a one-&-only love type of thing??
If one were to admit to applying to MS or PA programs as further preparation for med school, shouldn't it only show greater devotion, or at the very least that you won't be knocked down by rejection??

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't do it. Even if it's not the case, it will lead adcoms to believe you're not dedicated to their specific program and the commitment required for med school. Also, it makes you seem undecided about what you want to do.

Reactions: 1 user
Would it be a bad idea to mention that I will also be applying to other healthcare programs, including DO programs?? Is this seen positively because it shows commitment to the field more than the degree?? Is it a mistake to admit I may be satisfied with what some people see as a lesser degree??

Pretty sure that's not a double-edged sword, it's just a sword. What could be the advantage of telling someone in an interview or on an application that you're considering doing something else? It's not like you're going to leverage a med school spot.

You're not showing them that you're humble by saying you'd be happy elsewhere in healthcare. You're showing them that medicine isn't a perfect fit, just one of the many things you could see yourself doing.

I would say no. Most likely most places will not care, but it could also potentially be seen as a negative. I would say it at best would be neutral and at worst would look bad, so there's no reason to mention that. Plus, much like re-applicant stigma, if they see that you are applying to DO programs that might make them think "so whats wrong with the app that makes him/her think he/she might not be able to get into an MD program?"

I can't imagine a scenario where it helps you.. You show "commitment" through other means, not by applying to other programs.

Don't do it. Even if it's not the case, it will lead adcoms to believe you're not dedicated to their specific program and the commitment required for med school. Also, it makes you seem undecided about what you want to do.

The specific program?? Again, I ask do you think they want to believe it's a "you're the only one for me" love story?? If they're willing to accept applicants typically apply to multiple MD programs, why not accept that they also apply to DO programs too??

Pretty sure that's not a double-edged sword, it's just a sword. What could be the advantage of telling someone in an interview or on an application that you're considering doing something else?

The advantages:
1) prove you're not arrogantly over-confident
2) prove you're honest
3) prove you're not an idiot with no backup plan
4) show you view the job as more important than elitism

Avoiding a stigma seems to be the only real reason to avoid it. I'll admit that I haven't got the strongest app. I believe I'm competitive, but not a shoe-in. If I do mention applying to MS/PA programs, I will assert it's with the ultimate goal of becoming more prepared for med school, but DO would be considered an on-par alternative, of course. It's essentially the same thing.

if they see that you are applying to DO programs that might make them think "so whats wrong with the app that makes him/her think he/she might not be able to get into an MD program?"

If that's the case then why would anyone apply to both Stanford & Davis??

The specific program?? Again, I ask do you think they want to believe it's a "you're the only one for me" love story?? If they're willing to accept applicants typically apply to multiple MD programs, why not accept that they also apply to DO programs too??

The advantages:
2) prove you're honest

Avoiding a stigma seems to be the only real reason to avoid it. I'll admit that I haven't got the strongest app. I believe I'm competitive, but not a shoe-in. If I do mention applying to MS/PA programs, I will assert it's with the ultimate goal of becoming more prepared for med school, but DO would be considered an on-par alternative, of course. It's essentially the same thing.

People might APPLY to both of those schools, it doesn't mean they are going to talk about it in their app or secondary..

The advantages:
2) prove you're honest

There's a certainly level of honesty that is not appropriate. Yes, everyone applies to many schools, but if you tell them that if you don't get in you're interviewing at X, Y and Z school anyway do you think that would come off well? Knowing this I doubt they would explicitly ask you if you're applying to any other schools, so I wouldn't volunteer this information. It's not being dishonest, it's just choosing to not rub the fact that you're happy to go elsewhere in their faces.

We're not talking about elitism, just conveying commitment to what you're applying for (that degree, that school).

There's a certainly level of honesty that is not appropriate. Yes, everyone applies to many schools, but if you tell them that if you don't get in you're interviewing at X, Y and Z school anyway do you think that would come off well? Knowing this I doubt they would explicitly ask you if you're applying to any other schools, so I wouldn't volunteer this information. It's not being dishonest, it's just choosing to not rub the fact that you're happy to go elsewhere in their faces.

We're not talking about elitism, just conveying commitment to what you're applying for (that degree, that school).

I was never considering laying out my school choices in descending order of preference. I was thinking more like a 'many paths to the same destination' approach, but I suppose you're right.

Don't do it. If you're considering other careers enough to apply, you don't seem committed to being a physician. Plenty of other applicants are 112% committed to becoming a physician whatever the cost.

Well, DO is also a physician. PA or MS are both commonly obtained by folks trying to improve their app for med schools, & I'm sure if I were to pursue such a thing that would be my ultimate goal. It's more like a telling em you're willing to do go further to get what you want, at least in my mind.

much like re-applicant stigma"

Re-applicant stigma?? I had been under the impression that you're generally seen as more favorably if you've applied before??

I was never considering laying out my school choices in descending order of preference. I was thinking more like a 'many paths to the same destination' approach, but I suppose you're right.

Well, DO is also a physician. PA or MS are both commonly obtained by folks trying to improve their app for med schools, & I'm sure if I were to pursue such a thing that would be my ultimate goal. It's more like a telling em you're willing to do go further to get what you want, at least in my mind.

Re-applicant stigma?? I had been under the impression that you're generally seen as more favorably if you've applied before??

No one gets a PA to help with med school apps. And re-applicants are at a disadvantage because people looking at their app will generally think "why did this person have to reapply"

Reactions: 1 users
Nope, because it screams "I'm really not 100% dedicated to attending your school"!

It's good to have a Plan B, but that's for when things don't work out. Save mentioning Plan B for interviews, when you get asked about it.

Re-applicants have been pre-screened. This is not an independently favorable attribute.

what benefit would there be to bringing it up?

They're aware that today's applicant needs to apply broadly, and it's not uncommon to apply both MD and DO. It's a waste of space in the PS that would be better spent on something more unique and compelling.

Yeah, I think a substantial amount of applicants apply both MD and DO.

OP, stop thinking too hard about this and take the advice that everyone has given you: Don't put it on there. There's a reason everyone is on the same side in regards to the answer.