Mention Financial Aid/In-State Tuition in Update/LOIs?

Started by doctor999
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

doctor999

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,

What are your thoughts on including lower cost of attendance/in-state tuition as reasons for wanting to get accepted when writing updates and/or LOIs to get off a WL (like when comparing to a current acceptance with a way higher cost)? Is it frowned upon to mention money?

TIA! It is really appreciated.
 
Hello all,

What are your thoughts on including lower cost of attendance/in-state tuition as reasons for wanting to get accepted when writing updates and/or LOIs to get off a WL (like when comparing to a current acceptance with a way higher cost)?
I can't recommend this.
It's the opposite of a strong stategy.
 
Thank you for very much for your input. I guess I should have clarified this would be perhaps the last of several stronger reasons (including the fit of the school, professional goals, etc) but if it were expanded upon the fact that the applicant has supported themselves (no parental support or otherwise) throughout college and was looking for a more financially sound situation.

Should it just be avoided altogether?
 
Thank you for very much for your input. I guess I should have clarified this would be perhaps the last of several stronger reasons (including the fit of the school, professional goals, etc) but if it were expanded upon the fact that the applicant has supported themselves (no parental support or otherwise) throughout college and was looking for a more financially sound situation.

Should it just be avoided altogether?
I think so. You have to give your prospective school some reasons to think you like and would fit in at their school, not that it's all you can afford.