Mention going to CC and being a re-applicant in CLOSED file interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbe36

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I mention I went to Community College Freshman year or that I am a re-applicant in a CLOSED file interview?

One question I expect to get is "Tell me about yourself/your path?".

This is my top choice school, so I am thinking of mentioning that having to re-apply has been a good experience for me and that gaining an acceptance to their school was my major source of motivation.

Members don't see this ad.

For many, "Tell me about yourself" is a terrible question but it doesn't have to be. Make it a good story. Be sure to make it a true story that somehow includes why you are sitting in that interview room.

If the community college/reapplicant stuff is part of that great story, then go for it. There is nothing to be ashamed of.

I spent the first 2 years of college at the community college in my home town, and then transferred to my state school after that. I was never ashamed of where I came from, and to me it was the best pathway I could have taken. Due to financial reasons my parents said they would only pay for 2 years of school, so I worked and went to school those first 2 years to take care of things myself. Once I got to the university things worked out into what they are today.

Don't let the CC haters out there get you down! I saved tens of thousands of dollars going this route and I'm at the same level as the rest of my colleagues now.

As for the re-applicant status, if this was truly one of the reasons that made you get to the point you are today then be sure to tell them.

my two cents...

Members don't see this ad :)
I am proud of the path I have taken and both of these experiences have made me a better person.

However, I just feel like CCs and re-apps are two things that traditionally have a negative bias attached.

I just do not want to have 2 strikes against me for no good reason. I know how close and competitive this process is and I do not want this jading to set me apart from a similar applicant. This is my TOP choice school and at this point my only interview.

There are many reasons why a person can go to community college. If it is a way that shows you are unique, go for it. If you can't think of a good story to go along with it, wait it out. Don't avoid it if education comes up, but don't dwell on it. Be honest and explain why you did it, but also how you dealt with it. It was part of your journey, and can be used to your advantage.

Same thing with the re-applicant. Did you gird up and re-double your efforts, or did you clam up and mope around for a year? I know of one medical school where the incoming class last year was at least 60% re-applicants; showing determination even in apparent failure is an admirable trait.

There are few bad things that can't be turned into a positive if the focus is taken off of the bad thing and moved to how you dealt with it.

i disagree, i think you should leave CC out. showing who you are personality, your beliefs, goals without any stigma attached to it, is what you want to do in an interview. don't dig yourself a hole that you have to explain. and i can't see anyway that mentioning CC will help you. reapp, possibly, if you say how much you have grown/matured and can be convincing with real examples etc from your experiences

very sure that talking about my experiences as a re-app helped me

So... I mentioned being a re-app in both of my interviews (1 MD, 1 student). It fit very well into the conversation and I explained how it has made me a better person. I actually got great feedback from it including "We love to see applicants like you.", "everything happens for a reason (I did not interview there last cycle)", "We are impressed by the determintation." The MD actually cut me off to emphasize why he thought it was a positive aspect.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I chose not to mention the CC. It just did not fit into the convoersation.