Mention if doctor treated a family member?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabeOBGYN

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview tomorrow at a program with a faculty member who took care of a family member of mine when they had cancer. If I happen to meet said faculty member, is it appropriate to mention this? I never personally met the doctor, but my family has nothing but wonderful things to say about him. On the one hand I think it might be nice to know how much one's work is appreciated, but on the other hand, I don't want to be inappropriate and possibly negatively affect my chances. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview tomorrow at a program with a faculty member who took care of a family member of mine when they had cancer. If I happen to meet said faculty member, is it appropriate to mention this? I never personally met the doctor, but my family has nothing but wonderful things to say about him. On the one hand I think it might be nice to know how much one's work is appreciated, but on the other hand, I don't want to be inappropriate and possibly negatively affect my chances. Thoughts?

I would not mention it.

I don't think that you have anything to gain - or lose - from mentioning it to that particular person if you happen to meet/see him during the day. That's pretty typical conversation fodder in any situation.

But do NOT mention it at random to the PD, other interviewers or, basically anybody else you see during the day...it will make you look like a total tool.

I am assuming you are applying to obgyn, as an obgyn attending, I agree with others that it is entirely inappropriate to bring this up during an interview. Also think about your relative, would she really want you to discuss her medical problem with her doctor?

I am assuming you are applying to obgyn, as an obgyn attending, I agree with others that it is entirely inappropriate to bring this up during an interview. Also think about your relative, would she really want you to discuss her medical problem with her doctor?

I did not bring it up. But just so you know, she passed away, so discussing her medical problems would be a non-issue. I would have just thanked the doctor, if anything.

I did not bring it up. But just so you know, she passed away, so discussing her medical problems would be a non-issue. I would have just thanked the doctor, if anything.

If you want to express gratitude to the doc, you could send his office a card or note. I'd do it after rank lists were in just so it wouldn't look like you had ulterior motives though.

If you end up meeting this person, I think it's totally fine to bring it up, and mention how much their care meant to your family member.

Just be clear (to yourself) that you're doing this to be nice, and let this physician know how much his/her care meant to your family member. You're not doing this to change your position on a rank list. If you are, then you shouldn't bring it up.