Mention re-applying in personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThatQuestionGuy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can see both benefits and drawbacks to this. It shows your persistence and it's easier to show how you have changed your application, but I am planning to apply to some new schools that don't know I am a re-applicant, and they might frown upon it.

Members don't see this ad.

I can see both benefits and drawbacks to this. It shows your persistence and it's easier to show how you have changed your application, but I am planning to apply to some new schools that don't know I am a re-applicant, and they might frown upon it.

Two former adcom members looked over my PS for me and both said to mention that I applied once before and what I did to improve my app. I would mention it, but focus on what you did to improve. Don't make excuses or anything that could be construed as an excuse for your failed 1st app. (One person's "reason" is another person's excuse").

i wouldn't suggest you do. what positives really come out of it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see how it is relevant to talk about in your PS.

Posted via Mobile Device

The med school adviser for the Tufts MBS program said that he liked that I mentioned my previous unsuccessful attempts. He told me it showed how dedicated I am towards the process. I wouldn't dwell on it, but mentioning how you have improved is not a bad idea if you have done enough significant things since your last application. Every school is different though so its impossible to say it will universally help/hurt you.

i mentioned it at the very end of my PS. it really wasn't part of the overall flow of the statement in any way, just a 2-3 sentences at the end saying that i am a reapplicant, and here's what i've done/improved upon since graduating.

I think it just lays it out so that the adcom doesn't have to guess at what you've been doing for the past couple years (in my case, i had been out of school for about 2yrs).

i got in.

Wouldnt they already know that you are a reapplicant based on your AMCAS app where you mark that you have previously applied to those schools?

Everyone will look at this differently, but I think there are better ways to use the space allotted. Lots of people are not successful their first time around, and have to re-apply. I don't think that mentioning it will set you apart in any way, or make any kind of impression.

I did not mention it in mine.

In your personal statement? Are you reapplying to every single school you listed in your AMCAS? Why do you want to bring more attention to yourself than you need? "Hey everyone look I am a reapplicant!"

The only schools that need to know whether you are a reapplicant are the ones that ask you in their secondaries. Some schools ask if you are a reapplicant to their school; other schools ask if you are a reapplicant to ANY school. The purpose of the PS is to show your motivations for going into the medical field. Being a reapplicant is irrelevant to your desire to pursue medicine.

You can, and it might show dedication, but only if you actually say this in your essays. After I got in, I thought about it more and more, and I've since come to the conclusion that since it's automatically listed by AMCAS, you don't have to mention it anywhere. Now I believe that applicants should put out their best side, not mention reapp status, and just wing it. If the interviewer asks, then tell them, but don't waste space on an essay detailing something that can/is percieved as negative.