Mention traffic misdemeanor on secondaries if Certiphi is clear?

Started by Avocat
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Avocat

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I received a moving violation ticket a few years ago, which is a misdemeanor in my state. I had it dismissed by taking a defensive driving course, and because I was told by AMCAS that I did not need to disclose dismissed cases, I indicated "no" when asked about misdemeanor convictions on AMCAS. I also ordered a Certiphi check on myself and it came up clear, though I am still able to find the ticket online in my city's municipal court records.

On secondaries that ask about misdemeanor convictions, do I need to mention the ticket or not? I know my Certiphi check is clear, but I still don't feel completely at ease about not fully disclosing everything -- at the same time, I don't want my application to be flagged because I indicated a conviction. Some of the schools that I am applying to may not be using Certiphi for background checks, so it's possible that my dismissed case may still come up elsewhere.

Thanks! I apologize if this all sounds terribly paranoid.
 
Its a traffic ticket. Just disclose it. Its a lot easier to explain speeding/improper U-turn/etc... than to go explain why you are hiding information in your application
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I received a moving violation ticket a few years ago, which is a misdemeanor in my state. I had it dismissed by taking a defensive driving course, and because I was told by AMCAS that I did not need to disclose dismissed cases, I indicated "no" when asked about misdemeanor convictions on AMCAS. I also ordered a Certiphi check on myself and it came up clear, though I am still able to find the ticket online in my city's municipal court records.

On secondaries that ask about misdemeanor convictions, do I need to mention the ticket or not? I know my Certiphi check is clear, but I still don't feel completely at ease about not fully disclosing everything -- at the same time, I don't want my application to be flagged because I indicated a conviction. Some of the schools that I am applying to may not be using Certiphi for background checks, so it's possible that my dismissed case may still come up elsewhere.

Thanks! I apologize if this all sounds terribly paranoid.

  1. If the secondary says "ever arrested" or "ever charged" then disclose.
  2. If it asks about convictions, a dismissed charge is not a "conviction."
If you answer "yes" to #2, you are effectively answering it inaccurately.
 
If you don't mind me asking, how did you run the certiphi on yourself? I can't find the option anywhere
 
If you don't mind me asking, how did you run the certiphi on yourself? I can't find the option anywhere

After submitting your AMCAS, did you get an email with the subject "AMCAS Background Check Information"? It has the information about ordering a Certiphi report. Here is the signup link.
 
off topic @Avocat, but would you mind telling me how much it was? It said that it would charge "up to a maximum of $150" and decided that was too much and I'd just take my chances lol, but I don't know if "up to $150" means $20 or $150.
 
off topic @Avocat, but would you mind telling me how much it was? It said that it would charge "up to a maximum of $150" and decided that was too much and I'd just take my chances lol, but I don't know if "up to $150" means $20 or $150.

Mine was $37. I think that's the lowest price it can be.
 
I have had two speeding tickets in a state where I keep hearing it is a misdemeanor and they are not on my background check. I already submitted my primary app with AMCAS so if secondaries ask I'll tell them. I really don't think minor tickets (<20 mph over) matter.