Mentioning canine rehabilitation in essay

Started by kyahrm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kyahrm

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I need some advice please!

After writing my essays for PTCAS and having people edit them, I am having some second thoughts. My main goal after getting my DPT degree and working in acute care for some time is to eventually specialize in canine rehabilitation and get certified as a canine rehabilitation therapist. I have mentioned this in my essays and am getting some mixed feedback as to whether or not mentioning this will hurt my chances. I have had thoughts that this may give me an edge because it is so different and then I have had thoughts that this might hurt me and readers may think I should be going to veterinarian school instead. Any thoughts or advice?? Thank you!
 
First off, canine rehab is awesome. I shadowed in it (which doesn't count toward observation hours, just so you know, but you can list it in volunteer experience).

It's definitely a tough call - it is unique, and not something everyone knows about. But at the same time, PT schools don't teach anything related to it, because it is an additional certification and another 2-ish years of school after PT school. I would say you can mention it, but I wouldn't focus on it since it's not something that will be covered in PT school. There are also other routes to it (including becoming a PTA and then getting certification - the canine rehab therapist I shadowed was a PTA, and unlike human PT they don't require a PT on site to oversee you. She made great money since insurance wasn't involved and loved her job because she ran her own business). Generally I would avoid being too narrow focused in your essay since PT school teaches you to be a generalist - ortho, acute, outpatient, inpatient, neuro, etc. You can certainly mention your interests, but you don't want to appear to be closed minded/too focused since it will be 3 years before you pick a "specialty."
 
Thank you very much for your reply.

I don't think I focused on it too much. I mentioned that after doing actue care for some time I would like to do canine rehab and why. So hopefully that will be okay. Again, thank you for your response! Greatly appreciated!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wish I had seen this sooner! I just e-submitted so it's a bit late. I'll keep my fingers crossed!! Thank you so very much for offering to help though!