Mentioning specific program in personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RB93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, my advisor told me that for my top choice programs, I should tailor my personal statement to specifically mention the names of those programs in the personal statement. Has anyone else done this? I don't want to come off as too presumptuous, but I'd be glad to do this if it could help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, my advisor told me that for my top choice programs, I should tailor my personal statement to specifically mention the names of those programs in the personal statement. Has anyone else done this? I don't want to come off as too presumptuous, but I'd be glad to do this if it could help.
We've discussed this on this forum before, and the general consensus is that it's a terrible idea. It's true you can submit a different personal statement to each program, and it might be a good idea to have more of a research focus for the more researchy programs, but mentioning programs by name just comes off pretentious.

Reactions: 2 users

I wouldn't recommend it. It won't help as much as you think, and adds in the potential of mistakenly naming the wrong program. That could be quite bad. It's basically risk with no reward.

*Shrug*.

The applicants will just be playing mad lib with a paragraph then.

And thats why going to <programname> is my big dream. I have always wanted to live in a <big city/small city/rural area>, especially in a <hot/cold/whatever> climate. My favorite activities include <blah blah> and my deepest desire is to do research on <topic from pubmed search of program director>.

Reactions: 4 users
*Shrug*.

And thats why going to <programname> is my big dream. I have always wanted to live in a <big city/small city/rural area>, especially in a <hot/cold/whatever> climate. My favorite activities include <blah blah> and my deepest desire is to do research on <topic from pubmed search of program director>.

lmao so true

*Shrug*.

Med students essentially already do this. The subtle mention of your "ties" to the area and goals that align with where the program historically places graduates changes for each program you apply to. The whole thing is silly and everyone sees right through it. Everybody's got a cousin or a girlfriend that's from every program they apply to. Visited once 10 years ago = lived there briefly and have always wanted to move back permanently.

I don't think putting the name of the program in the letter hurts you, but I feel like reaching for any and every connection you can to a program makes you look disingenuous