Mentoring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vnicolas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a mentor and I hate it ... the only reason I am doing it is to enhance my resume should I quit or keep doing it....

I have no other ec's except for random health/non-health volunteering.
I have a 3.6... no got a C
I am planning a 30+ MCAT
I am a black female
Major bio minor psych and sociology
I have tons of shadowing----at my uni. shadowing is a 1 credit class so I will have 5 credits by the time i graduate which is about 200+ shadowing about 40-50 hrs per doctor.. i shadow 5 different doctors..

I do tutor.

Members don't see this ad.

If you hate it, stop doing it. Simple as that. There are many other ways to be productive if you're looking to 'enhance your resume.'

I am currently a mentor and I hate it ... the only reason I am doing it is to enhance my resume should I quit or keep doing it....

I am planning a 30+ MCAT
I am a black female
I have tons of shadowing----at my uni. shadowing is a 1 credit class so I will have 5 credits by the time i graduate which is about 200+ shadowing about 40-50 hrs per doctor.. i shadow 5 different doctors..

I do tutor.

Why even continue with something you don't like for your resume? With those stats according to this chart: http://i55.tinypic.com/do3wq0.jpg

You have about a 85% of getting accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)

I am planning a 30+ MCAT
I am a black female

I do tutor.

lol...

umm... planning a 30+ MCAT... I love how people can "plan" their MCAT score.

And I was planning a 40+ MCAT. I even had the practice tests to back it up. I just didn't manage to obtain a score quite that high. ;)

That said, you could get a 25 as a black female and still get into many med schools.

I am planning a 30+ MCAT
I am a black female

I do tutor.
Tutoring and mentoring are considered by many to be in the same category of Teaching. Which you already have covered.

You have enough shadowing (50 hours being average). You'd be better off spending the time getting in regular clinical experience (2-4 hours a week of interacting with sick people rather than passively observing physicians) and nonmedical community service (1 hour a week, ideally serving those with poor economic resources).

The shadowing is a easy A class at my univ and the credits count toward my Bio degree so I take it every semester... I was advise by a professor who is on the board at FAU COM that they prefer shadowing than medical volunteering ( they claim that most of the time you are not with patients you are just doing paperwork)

I had a great volunteering spot at a free health clinic doing interpretations...I also speak Haitian Creole ... maybe I could again....

Or should I stick to random volunteer events and tutoring.... I am not concern with medical school believing me able random volunteer events at my uni. They record your volunteer hrs on your transcripts.