Mentors for Non-Trads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
QofQuimica said:
Awesome, DarkSide, thanks. :thumbup: Do we have any nontrad dental or pre-dental students here? That would just about cover the gamut. For everyone out there reading this, if you still haven't added yourself, please don't be shy!

Always room for more ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Don't know if there are other Canadian non-trads here, but here are my specs:

Canadian, started medschool Aug 2004 (in Canada), non-science background, career-switcher, kids, :p can I add tired??

add me to:
Career Change (Teaching to MD)

also:
Foreign Undergrad
Working pre-med (used to be full-time, now 20 hrs/wk)

:)

adding Jaguar and DSIII. njbmd, will you please sticky this thread?

General Topics of Interest to Non-Trads

Old Pre-Meds

Career Changes:
All4MyDaughter
Megboo (SLP to MD)
Scottish Chap
medicalbound (IT to MD)
w9698 (LCSW to MD)
blee
r_salis (IT to OD)
slim06 (IT to MD)
racerx (Mech. Engineer to MD)
cfdavid
TheDarkSide (RN to MD)
Jaguar
DSIII (Teaching to MD)

Current/Past Military Members/Spouses of People in the Military:
efex101
MoosePilot
racerx

Undergrad/Post-Bac Issues

Going to Undergrad with Children:
ShyRem
Jambi
medicalbound
Truth74
racerx

Going to Undergrad in Your 30s:
ShyRem
efex101
medicalbound
Truth74
travelbug73
slim06
racerx
TheDarkSide

Non-Science Majors Switching to Health Fields
keitaiKT
cfdavid
TheDarkSide
Jaguar

Full-Time Post-Bac Students
keitaiKT
blee
cfdavid

Working While in Undergrad
DSIII (previously full-time, currently part-time)

Med School Issues

MCAT Advice:
QofQuimica
Scottish Chap
blee
MoosePilot
TheDarkSide

Starting Med School in Your 30s:
QofQuimica (start Aug. 2006)
efex101 (start Aug. 2004)
medicalbound (start Aug. 2006)
MoosePilot (start Aug. 2006)
racerx (start Aug. 2006)
TheDarkSide (start Aug. 2006)

PhD to MD:
QofQuimica (chemistry)
Scottish Chap (pharmacology)
travelbug73 (molecular biology)

Going to Medical School with Children:
efex101
Scottish Chap
Jaguar

Surviving Medical School:
efex101
Scottish Chap
Jaguar

Foreign/International Applicants/Medical Students
travelbug73
Scottish Chap
Jaguar (attends med school in Canada)
DSIII (foreign undergrad)

Pharmacy School Issues

Going to Pharmacy School:
All4MyDaughter

PCAT Advice:
All4MyDaughter

Optometry School Issues

Going to Optometry School:
r_salis

OAT Advice:
r_salis

Nursing School Issues

Associate Degree Programs
TheDarkSide

NCLEX-RN
TheDarkSide

I'm just starting out on this path, so I'm not mentor material yet, but hey, if anyone out there went from a JD to an MD (or is in transition), please consider adding yourself....

Or hey, drop me an email - I'd love to ask a few questions! Thanks!

phoenix1 said:
I'm just starting out on this path, so I'm not mentor material yet, but hey, if anyone out there went from a JD to an MD (or is in transition), please consider adding yourself....

Or hey, drop me an email - I'd love to ask a few questions! Thanks!
You might try PMing Law2Doc or ExLawGrrl. I don't know of any other former law people on SDN.

QofQuimica said:
You might try PMing Law2Doc or ExLawGrrl. I don't know of any other former law people on SDN.

Hello. I am a JD (practiced 1993 - 2002) who just got accepted to the Class of 2010. I don't know if I know anything yet, but you're more than welcome to ask me any questions you may have. I am a new member at SDN, so I guess the procedure is for you to PM me and then we can e-mail one another directly?

2Sexy4MedSchool said:
Hello. I am a JD (practiced 1993 - 2002) who just got accepted to the Class of 2010. I don't know if I know anything yet, but you're more than welcome to ask me any questions you may have. I am a new member at SDN, so I guess the procedure is for you to PM me and then we can e-mail one another directly?
Congrats, 2Sexy. Would you like to be added to the mentor list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all

Free free to add me to the nursing section. I can be added to the Nursing Degree Track as well as the NCLEX

adding 2Sexy and Mike. njbmd, will you please sticky this thread?

Old Pre-Meds

Career Changes:
All4MyDaughter
Megboo (SLP to MD)
Scottish Chap
medicalbound (IT to MD)
w9698 (LCSW to MD)
blee
r_salis (IT to OD)
slim06 (IT to MD)
cfdavid
TheDarkSide (RN to MD)
Jaguar
DSIII (Teaching to MD)
2Sexy4MedSchool (JD to MD)

efex101
MoosePilot
racerx

ShyRem
Jambi
medicalbound
Truth74
racerx

ShyRem
efex101
medicalbound
Truth74
travelbug73
slim06
racerx
TheDarkSide

keitaiKT
cfdavid
TheDarkSide
Jaguar
2Sexy4MedSchool

keitaiKT
blee
cfdavid

Med School Issues

MCAT Advice:
QofQuimica
Scottish Chap
blee
MoosePilot
TheDarkSide

racerx (start Aug. 2006)
2Sexy4MedSchool (start Aug. 2006)

PhD to MD:
QofQuimica (chemistry)

efex101
Scottish Chap
Jaguar

efex101
Scottish Chap
Jaguar

travelbug73
Scottish Chap

Pharmacy School Issues

All4MyDaughter

PCAT Advice:
All4MyDaughter

Optometry School Issues

r_salis

OAT Advice:
r_salis

Nursing School Issues

TheDarkSide
Mike MacKinnon

NCLEX-RN
TheDarkSide
Mike MacKinnon

QofQuimica said:
OldManDave,

Thanks, and I'm glad you brought this up. I found out about your website recently and was looking through it. But I'm kind of unclear about whether it is also meant for people who are no longer pre-meds, or who are non-trads that are going into the other health fields. I suppose technically I am still a pre-med since I haven't started school yet ( :p ), but I am past the "typical" pre-med stages such as taking pre-reqs or the MCAT or even applying to med school for the most part. Can you clarify for me who exactly OPM is targeted toward? Or do you have separate groups for medical students, residents, other health professions?

Thanks to you and everyone else who has contributed to this thread, especially Jambi for making it so organized. :)

OldPreMeds is essentially open to all comers. We originally were only pre-meds...back when I & 5 others founded it in 1997. However, many of the old time members are now physicians / residents. Our mission is to provide advice & support - we're like a large electronic community - to folks seeking to become physicians. The way we accomplish this is not unlike medical training - those more senior teaching those more junior. OPM does this through our discussion forums on our website & our annual conference - this year in Washington, DC. So, by joining & participating in OPM you will find yourself amidst a cadre of people, mostly nontraditional, who range from the pre-med just starting to med students of all years to residents in many disciplines & even a smattering of independent/attending physicians who advise as they are able.

As someone who has gained entry into medical school, you have become an immensely valuable resource for those people who have yet to earn their first "yes letter". Please consider coming by our site OldPreMeds & sharing the wealth of knowledge & experience you have acquired to make you successful in your quest.

OldManDave said:
OldPreMeds is essentially open to all comers. We originally were only pre-meds...back when I & 5 others founded it in 1997. However, many of the old time members are now physicians / residents. Our mission is to provide advice & support - we're like a large electronic community - to folks seeking to become physicians. The way we accomplish this is not unlike medical training - those more senior teaching those more junior. OPM does this through our discussion forums on our website & our annual conference - this year in Washington, DC. So, by joining & participating in OPM you will find yourself amidst a cadre of people, mostly nontraditional, who range from the pre-med just starting to med students of all years to residents in many disciplines & even a smattering of independent/attending physicians who advise as they are able.

As someone who has gained entry into medical school, you have become an immensely valuable resource for those people who have yet to earn their first "yes letter". Please consider coming by our site OldPreMeds & sharing the wealth of knowledge & experience you have acquired to make you successful in your quest.
Thanks, I did join and offered my help in the Kaplan MCAT forum. I hadn't ever really looked through the site before; thanks for letting me know about it. :)

If you want to add a "Former clergy" category you can add me under it. Otherwise, I can be added to attending medschool at 30 (August 2006) and attending undergrad during 30s. :)

hi
You can add me to the pre-dental non-trad, post bac student.

QofQuimica said:
I will add you guys tomorrow. Anyone else wanting to be added while I'm at it?

You can add me to MCAT advice and working while in undergrad. Thanks, Q!

I am currently 35 years old. I have been desperately seeking all the support that I can get. I am currently a mortgage broker, right now I have 17 credits and ramping up for the April MCAT. I am married and have four children! I have a great friend who is about 9 years older than myself who, most recently had an interview at LECOM. Without him I don't think I would be able to keep going. Support systems are so necessary, especially when we have so much going on outside of school work. Aside from someone having a crystal ball and letting me know if all the sleepless nights and anxiety attacks are worth it, I have joined for more added support. I look forward to our future conversations!
QofQuimica said:
Megboo's Pritzker post gave me the idea that it would really be great if new members of this forum had a list of non-trad mentors they could contact to ask questions about various topics. Like many of you, I didn't have an advisor to talk to when I began, and several people on SDN like efex and njb really helped me out and gave me some great advice. So I'll go ahead and start, and if you're willing to talk to other non-trads about any aspect of this process, please add your name and any new topics to this list.

MCAT Advice: QofQuimica

PhD to MD: QofQuimica

Starting Med School in Your 30s: QofQuimica

QofQuimica said:
I will add you guys tomorrow. Anyone else wanting to be added while I'm at it?

You can add me to past military.

QofQuimica said:
Thanks, I did join and offered my help in the Kaplan MCAT forum. I hadn't ever really looked through the site before; thanks for letting me know about it. :)
Its a great organization and I would recommend their conference if you can go. I went last year and would love to go this year (I'm a big lurker over there :oops: ) but with my schedule (and recent move to OK) dAson't know if I can afford to get out there this year :(

As for me, I would be glad to help out career changers, MBA(business) transitions and just questions in general.

You rawk Q! As do the rest of you for being so proactive in reaching out to help your fellow SDNers. :love: FEEL THE LOVE!

Hi Q,

I'd like to contribute. I guess I'd be categorized as a younger non-trad (only two years removed from undergrad) and I've spent my out-years teaching in Teach for America. I think I'd be most helpful to two groups of pre-meds:

(1) pre-meds considering volunteer programs (TFA, Peace Corps, Americorps) before medical school.
(2) pre-meds applying after being in a volunteer program.

Hope this helps in someway,
sweetdoc

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this, but better late than never. :p Adding sweetdoc, mushy, cosmo, tito, Tamala, medhacker, Law2Doc. medhacker, I'm going to count you as a career switcher instead of giving clergy to MD its own category; I think that you're probably pretty unusual. :) But I decided to make a separate IT to MD category b/c it seems like there are a lot of you all out there. If I missed anyone or made any errors, please let me know or you can correct them yourself. Thanks to everyone who has volunteered for this thread.

njbmd, will you please sticky this thread?

Old Pre-Meds

Career Changes:
All4MyDaughter
Megboo (SLP to MD)
Scottish Chap
jlw9698 (LCSW to MD)
blee
medicalbound (IT to MD)
slim06 (IT to MD)
r_salis (IT to OD)
cfdavid
TheDarkSide (RN to MD)
Jaguar
DSIII (Teaching to MD)
2Sexy4MedSchool (JD to MD)
mshheaddoc (MBA to MD)
medhacker (clergy to DO)
Law2Doc (JD to MD)

efex101
MoosePilot
racerx
cosmo

Joining a Volunteer Program Between College and Professional School
sweetdoc

ShyRem
Jambi
medicalbound
Truth74
racerx

ShyRem
efex101
medicalbound
Truth74
travelbug73
slim06
racerx
TheDarkSide
medhacker

keitaiKT
cfdavid
TheDarkSide
Jaguar
2Sexy4MedSchool

keitaiKT
blee
cfdavid
Tamala

titoincali

Med School Issues

MCAT Advice:
QofQuimica
Scottish Chap
blee
MoosePilot
TheDarkSide
titoincali

racerx (start Aug. 2006)
2Sexy4MedSchool (start Aug. 2006)
medhacker (start Aug. 2006)

PhD to MD:
QofQuimica (chemistry)

IT to MD:
medicalbound (IT to MD)
slim06 (IT to MD)

efex101
Scottish Chap
Jaguar

efex101
Scottish Chap
Jaguar

travelbug73
Scottish Chap

Pharmacy School Issues

All4MyDaughter

PCAT Advice:
All4MyDaughter

Dental School Issues

Going to Dental School:
Tamala

DAT Advice:
Tamala

Optometry School Issues

r_salis

OAT Advice:
r_salis

Nursing School Issues

TheDarkSide
Mike MacKinnon

NCLEX-RN
TheDarkSide
Mike MacKinnon

Hi Q,

Not sure how many categories I could fit into....

Over 30 when starting med school

Career change (academic biomedical researcher for 10 years to MD)

Slowly completed post-bac pre-reqs (many of mine were too old or never taken) while working full time (60-70 hrs/wk-- ouch!)
Along that same line-- creative ways to work in pre-med requirements for working people (?)

Advice on which schools to consider in your apps (incl. MD and DO) based on your total app profile (and how to make the best of your profile come out in the apps!!)

Uhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, that about does it. Oh, maybe advice specifically for re-applicants including the categories above. I applied in '03 without success... and am now accepted for this Fall. I learned a lot from the whole process, and almost feel it's an obligation to share with people. I remember what it was like not knowing where to go and what to do next, since AdComs aren't always the best at being frank about improving your chances.

So, any of the established categories I would fit into, or any you think it's useful to make, just add me where you want. :)

FDoRoML

FDoRoML said:
Hi Q,

Not sure how many categories I could fit into....

Over 30 when starting med school

Career change (academic biomedical researcher for 10 years to MD)

Slowly completed post-bac pre-reqs (many of mine were too old or never taken) while working full time (60-70 hrs/wk-- ouch!)
Along that same line-- creative ways to work in pre-med requirements for working people (?)

Advice on which schools to consider in your apps (incl. MD and DO) based on your total app profile (and how to make the best of your profile come out in the apps!!)

Uhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, that about does it. Oh, maybe advice specifically for re-applicants including the categories above. I applied in '03 without success... and am now accepted for this Fall. I learned a lot from the whole process, and almost feel it's an obligation to share with people. I remember what it was like not knowing where to go and what to do next, since AdComs aren't always the best at being frank about improving your chances.

So, any of the established categories I would fit into, or any you think it's useful to make, just add me where you want. :)

FDoRoML
Great, FDoRoML, thanks for volunteering. :thumbup: Anyone else want to be added?

QofQuimica said:
Great, FDoRoML, thanks for volunteering. :thumbup: Anyone else want to be added?

You can add me if anyone is interested in non traditional pre vet stuff :application process, pre reqs, post bacc and experience or changing careers, etc

I wish I'd known about a resources like this when I started 2 years ago!

:)

BTW: I'm finished applying now- still waiting on a couple more schools, but it's looking likely that I'll be be at Penn come fall!

you can add me, I am an older RN to DO!!

Is there somewhere permanent that this could be posted? Like a sticky or something on the main page? This is such a fabulous resource...thanks!!

Not sure how much I have to contribute, but drop my name under non-science first UG, career changer (media to med) returning to school in 30's...now with a hubby.

:D

I'm with sweetdoc, I'm only a few years out of undergrad, but I chose the pre-med path my senior year of college, and finished up my BS in Psychology and my BA in English along with the prereqs in 2004. I'm going to be applying for 2006-2007 for the third time, and hoping to finally be accepted somewhere. If you have reapplicant questions, feel free to PM me. I've also been working in the English field since I was still in school (editor of research papers and also writer for a newspaper) so if you want help with your personal statement (I edited over 100 last year) then let me know as well. Here's the thread in Pre-Allo where you can find lots of people willing to help out with PSs.

I don't have kids, am not married, and am only 24, but you can put me in any category you want to, Q. I think this is a great thread! :thumbup:

This coming August 2006 I will be starting med school at 29 years old (finally). . .so add me to the starting med school at 30 group (29 is practically 30 in my book!) This is an EXCELLENT idea, and I would love to help out anyone who is in need of advice, encouragement, etc!

After re-taking all of the med pre-req's after an unsuccessful first atempt, applying 3 times (yes, I trudged through the MCAT and AMCAS 3 times!), and obtaining one Master's degree in the process, I have finally been accepted to medical school! :) It was all worth the late nights, tears, and frustrations that come with the process.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel, folks! "The stone the builder's rejected has become the capstone. The Lord has done this, and it is marvelous in our eyes" - Psalm 118:22-23

Hello, again! You can also add me to any relevant category that involves relocating half way across the United States to pursue your dream, alternative ways to boost your academic profile (especially for people contemplating going to get a Master's degree, etc.), college major-switchers, and not deciding to go to med school until after you graduated from college, etc! Thanks! :)

docsurglace said:
This coming August 2006 I will be starting med school at 29 years old (finally). . .so add me to the starting med school at 30 group (29 is practically 30 in my book!) This is an EXCELLENT idea, and I would love to help out anyone who is in need of advice, encouragement, etc!

After re-taking all of the med pre-req's after an unsuccessful first atempt, applying 3 times (yes, I trudged through the MCAT and AMCAS 3 times!), and obtaining one Master's degree in the process, I have finally been accepted to medical school! :) It was all worth the late nights, tears, and frustrations that come with the process.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel, folks! "The stone the builder's rejected has become the capstone. The Lord has done this, and it is marvelous in our eyes" - Psalm 118:22-23
Congrats to you. :D I will add all of you guys to the list.

QofQuimica said:
medhacker, I'm going to count you as a career switcher instead of giving clergy to MD its own category; I think that you're probably pretty unusual. :)

Cool and thanks, I just wanted to point out I am clergy to DO not MD, thanks for this thread - hopefully we can be of help to others.

Should there be a category for MSTP issues? I'm finishing up an M.S., working as a research assistant in a lab for a few years, and then applying. If you make an MSTP category, add me. Thanks for making this wonderful thread!

medhacker said:
Cool and thanks, I just wanted to point out I am clergy to DO not MD, thanks for this thread - hopefully we can be of help to others.
:oops: Sorry. I'll fix that.

Grad, I think you're right that MSTP applicants should probably have their own category. Good suggestion. :thumbup:

Any more aspiring DOs out there besides medhacker who are willing to be added? I know that there are a lot more people besides him going for their DO!

I applied DO, but still not sure if I'm going to my DO choice (accepted) or my MD choice (VCU - I'm waiting for a decision there). But I'd be willing to talk to potential DO candidates. I applied to both, not just DO.

There are a lot of categories to choose from:

I can be added to

Career Changes - IT to MD (actually Software to MD but IT is close enough)
Starting Med School in 30's (2006)
Going to Med School with Family

Hello, All! GREAT thread!!!! You can add me to the starting med school at 30 group. I'll be 29 when I start med school this August 2006. 29 is as close to 30 in my book!

docsurglace said:
Hello, All! GREAT thread!!!! You can add me to the starting med school at 30 group. I'll be 29 when I start med school this August 2006. 29 is as close to 30 in my book!
Close enough for government work, and SDN too. :thumbup: Anyone else? Last call, last call. :laugh:

QofQuimica said:
Anyone else? Last call, last call.

Sign me up! I qualify under Carrer Changes (MBA to MD), Starting Med School in Your 30's, Going to Med School with Children, and Foreign/International Applicants (attending med school in Australia).

i'm not in med school yet but i've been getting ready for a couple years now and applying this june so i think i qualify: med school/pre-reqs with special needs child, pre-reqs/med school while pregnant/with newborn, applying after dropping out of grad school. I think the special needs and pregnancy issues are different from general parenting issues, so maybe they could have a sub-category within parenting or something.

Please add me to the list...

Here are my relevant stats:

Ph.D. in chemistry

career change (I was a chemistry professor with a research group, research in nanotechnology and photonic materials)

will be 36 years old shortly after I matriculate this fall

am willing to discuss:
the above,

MCAT questions,

going back to school to finish rereqs (took physiology, anatomy, genetics, psychology, Spanish, molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry within the last two years - not through a postbac program, but as a walk-in student),

taking classes while working full time,

MCAT prep, AMCAS prep, secondaries prep, interview prep

engaged/married, with spouse with career

anything else I can do to help!

Add me in as well. I can help on the PhD to MD topics, career changing and can assist those starting med school in their 40s. I have some insight into the process of obtaining an MD in the Carribean if that would help anyone.

IT/Business to MD, MCAT advice, non-science major, post-bac classes. :)

Thanks for doing this, Q!

You can add me to the list as an aspiring DO. entering school this fall at 28 years old with 3 kids. Currently teaching at an undergradute institution. Have a masters' in anatomy. Not sure what else I can add.