Mentors for Non-Trads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Awesome, thanks everyone for joining our thread. Things are kind of hectic for me right now while I finish up with school, but I will get this thread caught up soon. If anyone else wants to be added, please feel free to post. :)

Members don't see this ad.

QofQuimica said:
Adding efex; I think I got them all. ;)
General Topics of Interest to Non-Trads

Career Changes:
All4MyDaughter
Megboo (SLP to MD)

Current/Past Military Members/Spouses of People in the Military:
efex101

Undergrad/Post-Bac Issues

Going to Undergrad with Children:
ShyRem
Jambi

Going to Undergrad in Your 30s:
ShyRem
efex101

Med School Issues

MCAT Advice:
QofQuimica

Starting Med School in Your 30s:
QofQuimica (start Aug. 2006)
efex101 (start Aug. 2004)

PhD to MD:
QofQuimica (chemistry)

Going to Medical School with Children:
efex101

Surviving Medical School:
efex101

Pharmacy School Issues

Going to Pharmacy School:
All4MyDaughter

PCAT Advice:
All4MyDaughter

You can add me to career changes- JD to MD as well as postbac, general issues, questions re: USF COM

Members don't see this ad :)
All of you who are seeking mentors, wisdom & councel - there is an entire organization built around providing this & it is a sister to SDN: OldPreMeds [formal name: The National Society for Nontraditional Premedical & Medical Students, Inc.]. Our website is: www.OldPreMeds.org. We are a professional/pre-professional society, non-profit corporation & registered 501(c)(3) public charity who focuses our efforts to the benefit of nontraditionals who seek to become physicians, but NEVER to the exclusion of traditionally-aged applicants - we welcome them openly.

We accomplish our mission by two primary modalities: web-based discussion forums, much like these on SDN through our website & annual conferences held at various locales throughout the country. Our conferences are approx 2.5 days & are packed with speakers who provide critically important information on how to maximize your chances as an applicant to medical school, to residencies & discuss other pertinent topics such as financial aid, relationship survival how to balance such disparate & demanding obligations - issues critical to success for nontrads and trads alike.

This year, our conference is in Washington, DC from 8 thru 10 June at the Crystal City Sheraton. We have a webpage that provides detailed conference info at the following link: http://www.oldpremeds.org/2006regis/OPM.html. Please take a moment to review what we, OPM, have to offer & consider attending.

Applying to medical school is expensive both fiscally & emotionally. Why not arm yourself with knowledge & the vicarious experiences of others who have succeeded to maximize your chances to minimize the probability that you will have to endure the process more than once? I can promise you that investing in a conference like OldPreMeds will be more than worth expenditiure of your precious resources.

QofQuimica said:
Ok, I've been pretty busy these past few weeks, but I'm going to go ahead and update this list. Anyone else want in before I do???
Toss me in - I don't know where I'd fit in, though.

RxnMan said:
Toss me in - I don't know where I'd fit in, though.
Hmm, general med student advice? And as I recall, you did pretty well on the MCAT, so how about that? Did you do post bac? Do you have any other degrees? You're too young to be starting med school at 30+ though. ;) Take a look at the categories and see which ones you fit in, and let me know. :) And congrats on getting in; I'm really glad for you, Rxnman. :D

Hi QofQuimica -

I could offer advice for non-trads coming from canada, looking at the u.s. admissions process, heck, looking at the canadian admissions process, too :). Also, stuff on social services/psychotherapy to medicine. Also, going back to first year classes as a mature student.

You know, if we all get together and write segments of an advice book, we would be loved a long time!

4paw said:
Hi QofQuimica -

I could offer advice for non-trads coming from canada, looking at the u.s. admissions process, heck, looking at the canadian admissions process, too :). Also, stuff on social services/psychotherapy to medicine. Also, going back to first year classes as a mature student.

You know, if we all get together and write segments of an advice book, we would be loved a long time!
I think it's a great idea; would you be interested in organizing one? I'd definitely contribute a chapter.

Hi,

I guess I belong in a few categories:

38 years old - female
Just finishing year 4 (of a 6 year program)
Canadian
Studying in Europe - IMG
Other degrees: BAH, MBA
3 kids (6,7 & 9 months)
Work - teach on-line distance ed. courses for University of Maryland
husband finishing year 5 (of a 6 year program)

Looking to land in the States upon completion.

S-

QofQuimica said:
Hmm, general med student advice? And as I recall, you did pretty well on the MCAT, so how about that? Did you do post bac? Do you have any other degrees?...
I have not looked in on this thread in awhile - I didn't see that you had responded. Put me in General Issues, MCAT Advice (specific questions or how to study), Career Changes (Engineering to Medicine), and give me 6 months, and I'll start to be able to talk about surviving med school. I did not do a post-bacc, but I have a masters in Chemistry.

If you wanted to start a category, I'll mentor Non-Trad Research (choosing topics, forming questions, planning experiments, and publishing).

Um, I doubt I'm qualified to BE someone's mentor, but I'd sure like to be someone's protegé. . .Someone? Anyone?

r0b0tafflicti0n said:
Um, I doubt I'm qualified to BE someone's mentor, but I'd sure like to be someone's protegé. . .Someone? Anyone?
Check out the list (which I still need to finish updating :oops: ) and look for someone who has volunteered to be a mentor in whatever category you need help in.

QofQuimica said:
Adding Jambi

Career Changes: All4MyDaughter

Going back to undergrad with children: ShyRem, Jambi, cabinbuilder
Going back to undergrad in your 30s: ShyRem

Med School Issues

MCAT Advice: QofQuimica, cabinbuilder
Starting Med School in Your 30s: QofQuimica, cabinbuilder
PhD to MD: QofQuimica

Pharmacy School Issues

Going to Pharmacy School: All4MyDaughter
PCAT Advice: All4MyDaughter

Adding topics:

Medical school with children
Did Post-Bacc Program (official & unofficial)
Help with Personal Statements
Interview basics
Moving across the country
What the spouse needs to know
Being the mom in med school

About myself. I am 37y/o fe w/ 2 kids ages 10 & 7. divorced/remarried. Did my own post bacc and a med school post bacc. I grad with a BS in biology, Minor in geography in 1994. I started med school in 2001 and I finish in 2 weeks. Did my own MCAT study, moved 5000 miles to go to school. Just won a national essay competition in medical writing. I would be glad to talk with anyone who has questions. I never really had someone to help me along the way. Good luck all, keep the faith.

I would love to give anyone information, encouragement and support to anyone who needs it.

I am 32 year old Female. Never married, no kids (which I will admit have made things easier for me).
My undergrad degree is in Fine Art (Sculpture and Painting mostly)
I was a web applications developer and currently doing the same to take care of some debt.
I did my own Post bac at my Alma Mater, while trying to work full time. Went to school full time trying to finish a second Bac degree.
I know a lot about funding your undergraduate education with loans. :D
I rocked the verbal portion of the MCAT and did pretty well on the whole thing.
I was involved with the American Red Cross's relief effort for Hurricane Katrina.

So if you want to chat just give me a PM. :)

Hello Everyone,

I am just starting to prepare for MCAT and I badly need help to pick up some good textbooks on physics, chem and bio, to refresh my long time lost memory on these topics. Anyone has any good suggestions ?
You can answer on this forum or send me an email at: [email protected]
Good luck to everyone!!!

Ok, updating for the new members. Adding thes_hunter, cabinbuilder, RxnMan, peacefuljourney, 4paw, vtucci, doctorjoy, almost_there, Learfan, Octodoc, MiesVanDerMom, AusMeds, docsurglace, thegenius, MustangSally, TypeA, chopstick1, LynnKat and FDoRoML. Please let me know if I screwed up any of the categories or you want to be added to another category. And thanks to everyone who volunteered. :) The post got too big, so I'm separating the pre-health from the health fields.

Old Pre-Meds

Career Changes (see below also for JD, PhD/MS, and IT to MD):
All4MyDaughter
Megboo (SLP to MD)
jlw9698 (LCSW to MD)
blee
r_salis (IT to OD)
racerx (Mech. Engineer to MD)
cfdavid
MollyMalone (RN to MD)
Jaguar
DSIII (Teaching to MD)
mshheaddoc (MBA to MD)
medhacker (clergy to DO)
RxnMan (engineering to MD)
4paw (social services/psychotherapy to MD)
doctorjoy (teaching to DO)
AusMeds
TypeA (media to MD)
chopstick1 (RN to DO)
LynnKat

Current/Past Military Members/Spouses of People in the Military:
efex101
MoosePilot
racerx
cosmo

Joining a Volunteer Program Between College and Professional School
sweetdoc

Going to Undergrad with Children:
ShyRem
Jambi
medicalbound
Truth74
racerx
MiesVanDerMom (note: SAHM, has a special-needs child)

Going to Undergrad in Your 30s:
ShyRem
efex101
medicalbound
Truth74
travelbug73
slim06
racerx
MollyMalone
medhacker
thes_hunter
TypeA

Non-Science Majors Switching to Health Fields
keitaiKT
cfdavid
MollyMalone
Jaguar
2Sexy4MedSchool
thes_hunter
almost_there
MustangSally
TypeA

Full-Time Post-Bac Students
keitaiKT
blee
cfdavid
Tamala
thes_hunter
cabinbuilder
vtucci
almost_there
LynnKat

Working While in Undergrad
DSIII (previously full-time, currently part-time)
titoincali
thes_hunter
Octodoc
FDoRoML

Med School Issues

MCAT Advice:
QofQuimica
Scottish Chap
blee
MoosePilot
MollyMalone
titoincali
cabinbuilder
RxnMan
almost_there
Octodoc

Starting Med School in Your 30s or Beyond:
QofQuimica (start Aug. 2006)
efex101 (start Aug. 2004)
medicalbound (start Aug. 2006)
MoosePilot (start Aug. 2006)
racerx (start Aug. 2006)
MollyMalone (start Aug. 2006)
2Sexy4MedSchool (start Aug. 2006)
medhacker (start Aug. 2006)
cabinbuilder (start Aug. 2001)
peacefuljourney (start 2002, six year program)
Learfan (started in his 40s)
Octodoc (started Aug. 2006)
AusMeds
docsurglace (started Aug. 2006)
thegenius (started Aug. 2006)
FDoRoML (started Aug. 2006)

Research-PhD/MS to MD:
QofQuimica (PhD in chemistry)
Scottish Chap (PhD in pharmacology)
travelbug73 (PhD in molecular biology)
RxnMan (MS in chemistry, industrial research experience in engineering)
Learfan (PhD in chemistry, industrial research experience in chemistry)
Octodoc (PhD in chemistry)
FDoRoML (biomedical research)

IT to MD:
medicalbound
slim06
almost_there
thegenius

JD to MD
vtucci
2Sexy4MedSchool
Law2Doc

Going to Medical School with Children:
efex101
Scottish Chap
Jaguar
cabinbuilder
peacefuljourney
doctorjoy
AusMeds
thegenius

Surviving Medical School:
efex101
Scottish Chap
Jaguar
cabinbuilder
peacefuljourney

Foreign/International Applicants/Medical Students
travelbug73
Scottish Chap
Jaguar (attends med school in Canada)
DSIII (foreign undergrad)
peacefuljourney (Canadian, attends med school in Europe)
4paw (Canadian who applied to American and Canadian schools)
Learfan (attends med school in the Caribbean)
AusMeds (attends med school in Australia)

Pharmacy School Issues

Going to Pharmacy School:
All4MyDaughter

PCAT Advice:
All4MyDaughter

Dental School Issues

Going to Dental School:
Tamala

DAT Advice:
Tamala

Optometry School Issues

Going to Optometry School:
r_salis

OAT Advice:
r_salis

Nursing School Issues

Associate Degree Programs
MollyMalone
Mike MacKinnon

NCLEX-RN
MollyMalone
Mike MacKinnon

Veterinary School Issues

Going to Veterinary School
LynnKat

QofQuimica said:
Megboo's Pritzker post gave me the idea that it would really be great if new members of this forum had a list of non-trad mentors they could contact to ask questions about various topics. Like many of you, I didn't have an advisor to talk to when I began, and several people on SDN like efex and njb really helped me out and gave me some great advice. So I'll go ahead and start, and if you're willing to talk to other non-trads about any aspect of this process, please add your name and any new topics to this list.

MCAT Advice: QofQuimica

PhD to MD: QofQuimica

Starting Med School in Your 30s: QofQuimica

QOQ...

I'd be happy to add my name to a few of those columns, but it looks like you've got a good list going already.

What about a few new categories?

Post-Bac
SMP (Special Masters Programs)

Those are things that a lot of people in our situation need. Just a thought.

If you think its a good idea, put me down as a mentor for both.

Add me to research to MD. I have an MS in Cognitive Science and I'm finishing up one in MCB. Thanks.