Mercer M.S. -- Preclinical Sciences and Biomedical Sciences 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

oldbluegenes

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I could only find old threads, so I thought I'd make a new one. I was just accepted into MSPCS last week! 🙂 Anyone else applied/accepted/attending Mercer?

For those that have already been through one of the programs, how was your experience? Any advice for the entering classes?
 
@oldbluegenes
I plan to attend this program in 2020. I had multiple talks with Slm2316. She did the program and got into Mercer School of Medicine. I might hit you up by pm just to see your progress when you're half-way thru the program.
 
Last edited:
I could only find old threads, so I thought I'd make a new one. I was just accepted into MSPCS last week! 🙂 Anyone else applied/accepted/attending Mercer?

For those that have already been through one of the programs, how was your experience? Any advice for the entering classes?
I applied as well, did you have to interview ?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I could only find old threads, so I thought I'd make a new one. I was just accepted into MSPCS last week! 🙂 Anyone else applied/accepted/attending Mercer?

For those that have already been through one of the programs, how was your experience? Any advice for the entering classes?
Do you mind sharing your stats? Just curious. I applied, didn't get in this time.
 
Perhaps my undergrad gpa hurt me more, I decided to do some post-bacc courses/retakes after graduating since my undergrad gpa was low -- maintained a 4.0 post-bacc gpa, did research for a year, and worked as a pharm tech while in school. Perhaps still not as competitive. It's just upsetting how much money you have to put in, to continuously bring your self back up. And sadly, I don't think I'll apply again -- actually applied last year too. This year decided to apply to more programs, so hope to hear some good news from those. Good luck to all those accepted!
 
Perhaps my undergrad gpa hurt me more, I decided to do some post-bacc courses/retakes after graduating since my undergrad gpa was low -- maintained a 4.0 post-bacc gpa, did research for a year, and worked as a pharm tech while in school. Perhaps still not as competitive. It's just upsetting how much money you have to put in, to continuously bring your self back up. And sadly, I don't think I'll apply again -- actually applied last year too. This year decided to apply to more programs, so hope to hear some good news from those. Good luck to all those accepted!
What was your GPA? How many credit hours of postbac did you do and what is your current GPA?
 
Well sorta good news, I got on the waiting list after a few emails about feedback and explaining my schedule. But of course idk how big the wait list is, which has got me slightly worried. They said final day to know is July 12th....so hope some spots open up. Anyone know anything about wait list?

I don't know anything about the waitlist, but in my acceptance email they stated the deadline to accept or decline acceptance was this week. My guess is they'll wait to receive all the "declines" and then choose people from the waitlist to fill those spots? idk, but I hope this info helps you somehow.
 
I saw some previous posts on the old thread about a few places. Anyone else recommend any other apartment complexes in Macon? The lofts are pretty expensive, trying to keep rent under 1000.
 
How was the program for you guys?? Did you have to switch to online because of the coronavirus situation?? And does anyone mind if I share my info, such as 750 word statement with them personally? I just want to know my chances of getting accepted
 
What's up everyone!? I was just accepted to the preclinical Masters program at mercer. No interview just email.

I wouldn't mind reading your letter.

Does any have experience with the program?

Does anyone know a good place to move to in Macon that is a little bit cheaper than the loft?

Thx, best wishes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know anything about the waitlist, but in my acceptance email they stated the deadline to accept or decline acceptance was this week. My guess is they'll wait to receive all the "declines" and then choose people from the waitlist to fill those spots? idk, but I hope this info helps you somehow.


How was the program, and did ypu get into the preclinical or biomedical?
 
Perhaps my undergrad gpa hurt me more, I decided to do some post-bacc courses/retakes after graduating since my undergrad gpa was low -- maintained a 4.0 post-bacc gpa, did research for a year, and worked as a pharm tech while in school. Perhaps still not as competitive. It's just upsetting how much money you have to put in, to continuously bring your self back up. And sadly, I don't think I'll apply again -- actually applied last year too. This year decided to apply to more programs, so hope to hear some good news from those. Good luck to all those accepted!

I hope everything worked out. Just a little FYI. I have two mentors. One of which attempted the application 5 times. He is now a DO here in Savannah and owns 3 practices. I have another mentor that went through three times and is now practicing OB/gyn at Mercer.

Don't give up. We are making our dreams into reality. Some roads are a little more rigorous and longer than others but that's what makes us who we are.
 
Hey guys! I wanted to share a few details of my story. I was waitlisted with the MSPCS program last summer and I'm currently in the process of reapplying. Since my last application, I've completed an additional semester at GSU (post baccalaureate work) and performed additional volunteer hours. I wasn't able to retake the Gre because I simply won't have enough time to improve my score before the application closes. Thoughts?
 
If you are OK with your GRE scores then there's no harm in reapply again.

Hopefully you got the grades you wanted with the additional GSU semester. Good luck and let us know how it go.
 
If you are OK with your GRE scores then there's no harm in reapply again.

Hopefully you got the grades you wanted with the additional GSU semester. Good luck and let us know how it go.
Musclem4n, thanks for your response. I really wanted to get a 4.0 this semester, however, it's shaping out to be around a 3.5, possibly 3.3-3.4. Do you think the viral outbreak has affected the amount of applicants to this program? Also, would you mind sharing your stats? How long was it before you received an acceptance letter? Is this your first time applying?
 
No, I don't mind at all. My cGPA is 3.5 and 502 MCAT score. This is my first time applying to the Masters program. I received my acceptance email 4 weeks after my application was verified.
 
No, I don't mind at all. My cGPA is 3.5 and 502 MCAT score. This is my first time applying to the Masters program. I received my acceptance email 4 weeks after my application was verified.
That's awesome! 🙂 Just curious, do you think I should mention anything about being waitlisted last cycle (in my personal statement)? I spoke with the program director and she said "well you weren't denied, you were waitlisted," so I was thinking, like ok. Lol
 
That's awesome! 🙂 Just curious, do you think I should mention anything about being waitlisted last cycle (in my personal statement)? I spoke with the program director and she said "well you weren't denied, you were waitlisted," so I was thinking, like ok. Lol
Why were you waitlisted? Was your GPA above the minimum they require?
 
Hey what's up!? I would mention it if that decision motivated you to do more and not become complacent in hopes of getting in.

I have a friend that was wait listed in the MD program and she went and got a job as a Scribe. She called the school and updated them on her situation so they can put it in her records. A couple days letter she got an acceptance email. I am not saying that was the sole reason for getting accepted but we do think it had something to do with it.
 
Why were you waitlisted? Was your GPA above the minimum they require?
Hey Shotapp, thanks for your response. My cGPA is actually the minimum required, and the GRE 300, I believe my personal statement helped out a lot (not enough obvi). But I'm still going to apply again, I've actually faced many different challenges to even be able to render myself a candidate, all of which I briefly discussed in my statement. Are you attending the program currently?
 
Hey Shotapp, thanks for your response. My cGPA is actually the minimum required, and the GRE 300, I believe my personal statement helped out a lot (not enough obvi). But I'm still going to apply again, I've actually faced many different challenges to even be able to render myself a candidate, all of which I briefly discussed in my statement. Are you attending the program currently?
No, I'm not attending the program but I might apply to it next year.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Which classes did you decide to take? I got a solid 3.0 this time so we'll see lol
A few retakes (Biology I, Ecology, and Genetic) and I will retake Biochemistry in the fall. I also took a lot of upper level classes: Human Anatomy, Human Physiology, Virology, Immunology, Microbiology, Cell Biology, and Medicinal Chemistry. I got a 4.0 in 40 credit hrs of post-bac. I plan to take 10 more credit hrs. Then study and take the MCAT and apply to medical schools next year.
 
A few retakes (Biology I, Ecology, and Genetic) and I will retake Biochemistry in the fall. I also took a lot of upper level classes: Human Anatomy, Human Physiology, Virology, Immunology, Microbiology, Cell Biology, and Medicinal Chemistry. I got a 4.0 in 40 credit hrs of post-bac. I plan to take 10 more credit hrs. Then study and take the MCAT and apply to medical schools next year.

That's amazing! Where are you taking them, if you don't mind sharing? I'll definitely take another semester of classes (if I'm not accepted) a 3.0 can easily be increased with A's but since I have a degree, it's like where do I start? Like, do I start where I got a "C" in or do I start with new courses? What're your thoughts?
 
I retook a few C's to show improvement but I have mostly been taking new science classes that interest me/med school esque. I'm retaking Biochem because it's tested heavily on the MCAT and I got a C in it years ago. I'm also going to take some more upper level science classes in the fall.
 
I retook a few C's to show improvement but I have mostly been taking new science classes that interest me/med school esque. I'm retaking Biochem because it's tested heavily on the MCAT and I got a C in it years ago. I'm also going to take some more upper level science classes in the fall.

That's actually really smart, I retook Biochem this semester, so let me know if you need anything! I keep thinking everyone's in Georgia from this thread.
 
Does anyone know if successful MSPCS students can apply to Mercer medical school if you are an out of state resident? And do you all know of how others enjoyed this program and how it helped them gain entry into professional schools after? I applied 5/6 and I’m still waiting to hear back, but I really want to get in.
 
Does anyone know if successful MSPCS students can apply to Mercer medical school if you are an out of state resident? And do you all know of how others enjoyed this program and how it helped them gain entry into professional schools after? I applied 5/6 and I’m still waiting to hear back, but I really want to get in.
Hi!! I have heard a couple people got into professional schools after completing the masters program. I would definitely try applying in your resident state as well. Either way, I have not heard any negative outcomes from those that successfully complete the program. Good luck!!
 
I am planning to attend the preclinical masters program at mercer this upcoming fall. Does anyone know if there are any facebook groups or forums to find housing/roommates? Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad