Other OT-Related Information Mercy College OT Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nb97

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I will be graduating with my bachelors in Bio this upcoming May, and I was wondering how the process for Mercy College is like? I am absolutely nervous about this because I truly feel like my GPA isn't high enough to the standards of what the committee may be looking for. I do regret majoring in Bio, but that is too late. I do feel my GPA for the general prereqs are strong. I was also wondering, if any one has already been accepted to the program, or know anyone who is taking the program, what is the lowest GPA that you have heard of someone being accepted? Also, how is the program like? Please let me know! Thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I think with OT, bio is still relevant. I can't speak for sure about the lowest GPA the committee has accepted, but in addition to the general prerequisites (abnormal psych, stats, etc), they also require you to take a second set of prerequisites that you could only take at their school (they are undergraduate courses you would enroll in as a non-matriculated student, but consists of graduate-level coursework). This second set of prerequisites are OT-related coursework (cadaver dissection lecture + wet lab, kinesiology, neuroscience, etc).

If your application is accepted, it will be under the provision that you continue to take and pass these second Mercy-specific prerequisites. If all goes well and you pass those remaining prerequisites, then you start the program that Fall.

Mercy's application process is unique from the other ones in that you're basically taking many of what would be considered first year classes in other MOT programs before you begin the program, but the tricky part is taking these classes and applying does not guarantee you will get into the program, which may deter a lot of people from applying because it is a huge time and financial commitment (takes about 2+ years to take these second Mercy-specific prerequisites and the money spent on them is not deducted from the tuition should you get into the program).

The actual program starts in the Fall and is every other weekend, Friday evenings and all day Saturday and Sunday.

Last edited: