Merger Question (DO)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DermDO

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am a 4th-year DO student planning to apply dermatology and the transition to a single GME has left me confused. (Not much help from old posts using the search function)

My plan this year is to skip the DO match and only apply ACGME dermatology programs and transitional year internships and reapply during intern year if it doesn't pan out. I have questions about other scenarios:

1.) Can I attend an ACGME transitional year (MD match) this year, then apply for an AOA dermatology residency that is (DO match) the following year for a PGY2 spot? (if they are still not participating in the ACGME match at that point)

2.) Alternatively, can I apply for an AOA traditional rotating internship this year via DO match, then eligible to apply the following year for a PGY2 ACGME dermatology residency via MD match?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I am a 4th-year DO student planning to apply dermatology and the transition to a single GME has left me confused. (Not much help from old posts using the search function)

My plan this year is to skip the DO match and only apply ACGME dermatology programs and transitional year internships and reapply during intern year if it doesn't pan out. I have questions about other scenarios:

1.) Can I attend an ACGME transitional year (MD match) this year, then apply for an AOA dermatology residency that is (DO match) the following year for a PGY2 spot? (if they are still not participating in the ACGME match at that point)

2.) Alternatively, can I apply for an AOA traditional rotating internship this year via DO match, then eligible to apply the following year for a PGY2 ACGME dermatology residency via MD match?

Thanks!

Wasn't it something like 1% of MD derm spots go to DOs? From what I've read, you're best off if you do a TRI at a place that also offers a derm residency. I feel like you'd be giving yourself the best chance by doing an AOA TRI then applying to the derm program at the same location, but I'd wait to see what others more experienced think.