Merger questions from a prospective DO student.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChiDr

Accepted to class of 2023!!!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would love to get opinions from other faculty, admissions, and students. I know that there are many unknowns but there must be some ideas on the future of DO students if this merger went through.

1. For current students, this is your future, what are you being told?

2. For those educating, what are you telling your DO students or future students that are currently concerned about the merger?

3. What is your program’s plan for potential DO graduates if you are an AOA residency?

4. What is the plan to keep DOs competitive (for all specialties) with their MD counterpart?

Asking, prospective DO student.
I have read that AOA residencies will have to close if they cannot meet the new standard within a given time. I know that there is already a shortage of specialty residency spots for graduates. I know that we currently have a shortage of physicians and that number is growing with more cars being added to the ACA train. I know that tuition is rising faster than inflation (example, MSU OOS tuition of $90k/year. Yes, extreme but that is the trend) and some specialties are seeing pay cuts making harder to manage debt.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The merger will hurt. Ignore any faculty who tells you otherwise, especially anyone from the AOA, take the USMLE, there is no plan to keep DOs competitive for all specialties, AOA programs that will not meet ACGME accreditation will be allowed to let their current residents finish and be board certified but will not take any new residents after 2020.

You want a competitive specialty? Then you need to look like an MD applicant. Board scores, research, connections, the whole thing. Even then you might not get a spot. Have a back up.

/thread

Incoming ‘19 DO student here so take this with a grain of salt - I don’t know much about the merger but from what I’ve gathered on here + from people is that it isn’t the end of the world as we know it. I think the plan is / has always been just work hard and do your best. It seems like certain things will become more competitive but not to the point where the sky is falling and DO’s will only be able to match into FM/IM. If that is the case then so be it - glad to have the opportunity to become a doc and help a few people out. There’s also a few posts on here that outline “DO friendly” specialties which I’m not sure if the merger will impact.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
The only people that should be worried are DO students who are looking at competitive specialities, and DO students that were too stubborn to take the USMLE. While this merger means a handful of AOA residencies will be phased out, the vast majority have already achieved initial accreditation status. I can't imagine program directors for traditionally AOA residences waking up one morning and deciding they no longer want the majority of their residents to be osteopaths.

Reactions: 2 users