Should I apply DO given the match merger?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jberto2018

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I would really like some guidance on what to do. I have a 3.85 gpa with great leadership experience, clinical experience, volunteering and everything else with the exception of research. The big problem is that I have a 500 MCAT. This score obviously bars me from having any realistic chance at getting into an MD school. I have no problem with DO philosophy ( in fact I probably prefer it). If i wanted to go primary care I don't believe there would be any issue going DO, however I love EM. I've worked in the ER for over a year now and can't get enough of it. I could retake my MCAT, but that would put me late in this years application cycle. Should I go ahead and apply DO only like I planned or should I give the MCAT another go and potentially either apply late or the following year? I honestly have a lot of anxiety about this decision and I was completely comfortable applying DO up until recently. I would be proud to be a DO and I have no doubt that DO's will continue to match with EM. Do you guys think the MD degree offer enough advantage to consider retaking the MCAT and most likely postpone my education another year or do I just have unwarranted anxiety on the issue. Thanks so much for your responses!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I would really like some guidance on what to do. I have a 3.85 gpa with great leadership experience, clinical experience, volunteering and everything else with the exception of research. The big problem is that I have a 500 MCAT. This score obviously bars me from having any realistic chance at getting into an MD school. I have no problem with DO philosophy ( in fact I probably prefer it). If i wanted to go primary care I don't believe there would be any issue going DO, however I love EM. I've worked in the ER for over a year now and can't get enough of it. I could retake my MCAT, but that would put me late in this years application cycle. Should I go ahead and apply DO only like I planned or should I give the MCAT another go and potentially either apply late or the following year? I honestly have a lot of anxiety about this decision and I was completely comfortable applying DO up until recently. I would be proud to be a DO and I have no doubt that DO's will continue to match with EM. Do you guys think the MD degree offer enough advantage to consider retaking the MCAT and most likely postpone my education another year or do I just have unwarranted anxiety on the issue. Thanks so much for your responses!!!

My honest opinion is go the route that you can get into. If you want to be a doctor them to come a doctor at all cost. Understand that student loans, financial burdens and other things will add stress along the way but if you’re calling is to become a physician then do so. I myself am a deal and I honestly don’t recall getting questioned too much about my degree. I am triple board-certified and can provide good quality care to my patients, I try to act like a normal human being and relate to my patients and family. They see this more so than my title, where I went to medical school or my GPA.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi guys,

Getting an MD is much of an advantage, but not really that much in the realm of EM. The biggest issue that people will tell you that you will run into is that what you want to do now will probably change in 4 years when you are graduating. If so, then MD opens more doors.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say retake and then apply June 2020, for the following reasons:
  • For better or for worse, medical school isn't going anywhere. At the end of the day, 1 year isn't going to kill you (despite how much SDNers complain about losing 1 year worth of salary). May as well keep all doors open, esp in the event that you suddenly want to go the ortho route.
  • On the scale of application issues, a low MCAT is not hard to fix. Your GPA indicates that you have the book-smarts to do pretty well. Just need a 2-3 months of dedicated study.
  • AMA/AOA merger could be a problem for DOs. Will affect some schools/specialites more than others, but overall scope is unknown.
  • DOs claim to be more holistic and patient-oriented, but I'm not 100% sold on it. Its not like any MD is going to look at the list of symptoms and diagnose without talking to the patient. Yes, DOs are patient-oriented...but they sometimes make it seem like they solve this big gap in patient care that MDs just cant crack (which is kind of ridiculous). So in terms of liking the DO approach more, unless you're going into OMM, I wouldn't put too much faith in that (personal opinion).
  • Take a gap year and do something engaging. You're going to be putting yourself through decades of school and exams and fax machines and pagers. Spend a minute doing something you'll remember 20 years from now (also personal opinion).

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Keep in mind if you retake MCAT and score <500 that will look bad. For DO you are good.

Retake MCAT, reapply MD, improve application, apply to decent/top/in-state DO schools as backup.

You might change your mind, so IMO it’s best to keep as many doors open as possible this early in the game

EM is considered primary care so I think being a DO wouldn't hurt you too much. Lots of DO's match into EM

EM is considered primary care so I think being a DO wouldn't hurt you too much. Lots of DO's match into EM
Emergency Medicine does not count as primary care. Primary care is a basic level of healthcare that helps to assess, prevent, maintain, and diagnosis illness... the nature of emergency care is to respond to an illness already present. It is true that it is DO friendly, though.

Reactions: 3 users
DOs claim to be more holistic and patient-oriented, but I'm not 100% sold on it. Its not like any MD is going to look at the list of symptoms and diagnose without talking to the patient. Yes, DOs are patient-oriented...but they sometimes make it seem like they solve this big gap in patient care that MDs just cant crack (which is kind of ridiculous). So in terms of liking the DO approach more, unless you're going into OMM, I wouldn't put too much faith in that (personal opinion).

This is all just AOA propaganda. The average DO doesn't believe this nonsense.
Emergency Medicine does not count as primary care. Primary care is a basic level of healthcare that helps to assess, prevent, maintain, and diagnosis illness... the nature of emergency care is to respond to an illness already present. It is true that it is DO friendly, though.

EM is considered PC in the state where I go to school. Honestly a lot of EM these days is essentially PC.

OP I thoroughly support your concerns but with a 500 MCAT you don't really have a choice. I would retake and try to do better because if you can pull it off then the pay off is huge but know that you will likely have to at least dual apply DO no matter what.

EM is extremely DO friendly. Like almost 20% or something crazy of my school's match list every year is EM.

Reactions: 5 users
Keep in mind if you retake MCAT and score <500 that will look bad. For DO you are good.
OP, what was your prep like last time? A dedicated period (and maybe a course or something) might be helpful

500 isn’t good for DO either. Doubt you can get into any of the top DO schools where the average is 505-508.

And people act like improving the MCAT is a given. It’s not. 2/3 of retakers do around the same or worse then the first time. Also good gpa doesn’t always mean a high MCAT score unfortunately. The MCAT is a different style of exam than undergrad coursework. I got a 508 but I’ve had friends with 3.8+ GPAs who couldn’t break the 500-502 range after taking it multiple times.

Reactions: 7 users
2/3 of retakers do around the same or worse then the first time.

Do you have a source for this? Theoretically would guess it would be around a third.

But agreed re discrepancy in GPA and mcat. Makes you wonder which do better in the match (low GPA high mcat vs the opposite)...

Members don't see this ad :)
OP,

Go to DO school - study hard in class first year, study hard for boards 2nd year... you'll be fine for Emergency Med. It's quite DO friendly.
If you were gunning for derm or plastics, it would be a different story.

We all want 100 percent certainty this path is safe. After all, it is such an investment not only in time but also financially. I have had the same concerns and have asked similar questions on this forum. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees for this or any path in life honestly. As of today, the DO path is the best one you can take if you don't qualify for US MD. Who knows how things may look 4 years from now. The merger could hurt us, P/F USMLE could be implemented, schools may expand too much, medicine could become socialized and leave us all saddled with huge debts we can't pay even if we do match, I could fail boards, a giant meteor could hit the Earth, etc. I could live my life in constant fear, but I've chosen to work on my neuroticism and instead make my decision based of the information I have at this moment. I can't predict the future, but as of today DO is a valid for many specialities. I am okay with this. If you want ortho or derm or want to do residency in NYC or LA then focus on MD. But there are no guarantees your MCAT goes up, and in my case a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Reactions: 2 users
You will be fine with DO if you're looking for EM. I know students who have been accepted with 493, 497, and 499. If the rest of your application is stellar then you have a good shot. Now, if you're trying to be safe......definitely retake the MCAT because getting into med school is a crap shoot and even good scores don't guarantee an acceptance. Give yourself the best chance possible and see where that takes you. Same goes for med school when you apply for residency.....work hard and do well on boards.

Given that a lot of people use ERs for PC, it can certainly be argued.
Go ask an ER doctor how they feel about that. I’ve seen multiple instances where an ER patient’s discharge instructions are to merely follow up with their PCP. Pretty expensive referral and a waste of time.

Reactions: 1 users
Go ask an ER doctor how they feel about that. I’ve seen multiple instances where an ER patient’s discharge instructions are to merely follow up with their PCP. Pretty expensive referral and a waste of time.

I understand that but that wasn’t the point I was making. Unfortunately, that is the reality of our healthcare system. EDs are forced to see patients, a PCP office isn’t. Patients go to ER for non-emergent complaints because they can’t afford insurance, get treated, and leave.

What people don't tell you is that you are essentially locked out of top EM programs as a DO. If you are ok going anywhere, then you will probably be ok. I don't believe people who say that it isn't worth losing a year of salary. IT doesn't make sense. You will make more money going MD and matching into a competitive specialty even with a gap year. You never know, you might even get a good scholarship to an MD school. DO schools don't give out many scholarships.

ER is jumping score-wise though. Also seen with anesthesia and psych.

Given that a lot of people use ERs for PC, it can certainly be argued.
It's not though. PC is always solid for DO. However, even IM is becoming tougher for DO's to get into since merger.

It's not though. PC is always solid for DO. However, even IM is becoming tougher for DO's to get into since merger.

OMG i know it isn’t PC. But read @anatomygrey12’s post. In some places it IS. My time in the ED during MS3 showed me why. EM isn’t “PC” but people sure do use it as such.

What people don't tell you is that you are essentially locked out of top EM programs as a DO. If you are ok going anywhere, then you will probably be ok. I don't believe people who say that it isn't worth losing a year of salary. IT doesn't make sense. You will make more money going MD and matching into a competitive specialty even with a gap year. You never know, you might even get a good scholarship to an MD school. DO schools don't give out many scholarships.

So if given the opportunity, try to match into USMD even if it means an extra gap year compared with being admitted to a newer DO school?

So if given the opportunity, try to match into USMD even if it means an extra gap year compared with being admitted to a newer DO school?
Assuming you have a very good chance at getting into an MD a school, yes

When you reapply you should apply for good DO schools too just as a backup but yes

Hopkins, USC, Maryland, Cook County all have DOs in their programs. Besides isn't top EM kind of hard to define, plenty of places both academic and community that offer superb training due to patient population and trauma level that aren't your Mass Gen, U of C, UCLA, etc.

Disclaimer: I am not in medical school (yet).

Don't apply DO unless you want to be a DO.

To be frank, I don't think you can go MD based on the fact you scored a 500 MCAT. Even if you re-take, a solid jump is 2-4 points, still not MD level.

I think you need to bite the bullet and go DO, crush boards, and you'll get your EM residency spot.

Reactions: 2 users
What people don't tell you is that you are essentially locked out of top EM programs as a DO

"Top programs" in EM are not really a thing. Even then some of the most widely known EM programs have, in fact, taken DOs before. An example would be Denver Health and the programs listed above. Now of course you need to be an applicant, at minimum, on par with their MD applicants, but to say you are locked out of "top programs" isn't really true.

Enough with this garbage. EM and IM are not hard for DOs to get. Very middling to below average DOs match EM and IM all the time. IM especially is NOT competitive. Period.

Reactions: 11 users
500 isn’t good for DO either. Doubt you can get into any of the top DO schools where the average is 505-508.

And people act like improving the MCAT is a given. It’s not. 2/3 of retakers do around the same or worse then the first time. Also good gpa doesn’t always mean a high MCAT score unfortunately. The MCAT is a different style of exam than undergrad coursework. I got a 508 but I’ve had friends with 3.8+ GPAs who couldn’t break the 500-502 range after taking it multiple times.
There are a couple of bold statement here that I'd like to clarify. For one, a 500 MCAT may be fine for DO especially considering OP's GPA is way above average for DO. He will be at a clear disadvantage at the select top DO schools, but his chances remain relatively solid at many DO schools.
The following DO schools have matriculant MCAT averages at 503 or below (All of them have GPA averages below 3.7):

Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine
Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace School of Osteopathic Medicine
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
UIW
Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
Lincoln Memorial University– DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine
Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
University of Pikeville-Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine
Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) at New Mexico State University
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
California Health Sciences University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)
William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine

Second, official resource released from the AAMC has stipulated already that retakers tend to do an average of 3 points higher on their second attempt. OP has a higher chance of doing better than worse.
Source:
PAGE 11
"data show that retesters across a wide range of scores tend to obtain higher scores on their second exams. Figure 9 shows that the median gain for examinees who tested a second time and whose initial scores ranged from 472 to 517 was two to three score points, "

Third, many people will get rejected from DO schools regardless of good stats. All of us have anecdotal recounts of a friend not getting into a school with a high GPA or MCAT There are a plethora of factors that play into an applicant's competitiveness.

The 503 number is a little misleading. 503 represents to being in the 59th percentile while 500 puts you in the 49th percentile., meaning 51 percent of mcat takers did better than you. A 10 percentile difference. I usually refer those students to smp or post bac programs. Students will be screened a little closer at our school as our usually excellent board pass rate went down this past cycle.

I got a 501 and was accepted to wvsom, a pretty good DO school, and had interviews at 2 others. I know someone who got into nyitcom with a 497. Its possible but retake if you can. I was about to until i got my first A.

Hi guys,

If you have great EC’s and a compelling story you should be able to pull an acceptance if you apply broadly, I applied with a 3.92 cgpa/3.91 sgpa, but a 497 MCAT and got two acceptances with a 121 cars. I even applied in late October. I am ORM as well. Obviously retaking will improve your chances drastically, but it is up to you to decide.

I had 503 with 122 cars, but was accepted to original 5.

I don’t buy the whole DO vs MD philosophy... It’s like the “left Twix” vs “right Twix” commercials...
I also don’t buy the “If you want to be a DO”.... We want to be physicians and very few of us want the MD brag.
If you love EM and that’s what you want then get into a decent MD or DO program and work your butt off and you will be fine. Consider that your desires may shift and that the competitive specialties may be shut off from you if you went the DO road (ortho, derm, optho, some surg specialties)
Educate yourself on the DO outcomes and what’s realistic and decide.
Again if you love EM and are sure then take a DO accept and get to work.

Hi guys,

Which decision causes you the least stress? Do it.

But, your credentials are very good except for the MCAT score. I think you need specific help preparing for the MCAT. I recommend getting that help and then re-taking the test. I am a DO and am happy with my decision. However, it is much easier to be an MD. Take a gap year, prepare for the MCAT, maybe enter a masters in biomedical science program, and take the test again. It is only 1 year. You can get into a DO school later (if you need to).

If you can afford it, take a prep course. My MCAT went from 497 to 509.

Many people in DO schools get into EM programs, it's just a matter of boards scores and rotations, no different than going MD. What will happen with the merger who knows? I really doubt suddenly 50% of DO's won't be able to match. But if you could get in a year earlier I would do it unless you haven't taken a gap year yet then maybe it's not as big of a deal to take some time off and take a course. I would just prepare very very well so your score doesn't go down.

Retake the MCAT and use Altima test prep! Seriously I’m not paid to say this or anything but they helped me score a 516 which helped me get an MD acceptance! Applying late is no good and a 500 score may present some problems at the more top tier DO schools.

Merger won’t affect good do students and schools where the majority of them match acgme anyways. Tbh idk why people are afraid. This is an absolute win unless you have a 210 step as a do.

Dude just retake the mcat. You’d get in DO with what you got probably. But you couldn’t be selective.

Apply MD next cycle if you get higher. Apply DO this cycle if you don’t.

As of right now, this thread should be titled “Should I go DO if I want to be a doctor?”. Can’t get picky about the dealing with merger and other DO related issues until you have stats that give you other options.

Hi guys,

Beggars can't be choosy.

Do you have a source for this? Theoretically would guess it would be around a third.

But agreed re discrepancy in GPA and mcat. Makes you wonder which do better in the match (low GPA high mcat vs the opposite)...

I can't find source but I know that it is supported by AAMC MCAT data

If you have great EC’s and a compelling story you should be able to pull an acceptance if you apply broadly, I applied with a 3.92 cgpa/3.91 sgpa, but a 497 MCAT and got two acceptances with a 121 cars. I even applied in late October. I am ORM as well. Obviously retaking will improve your chances drastically, but it is up to you to decide.
where were you accepted? i have a 122, 510 overall, and i am super worried about my low CARS score..

There are a couple of bold statement here that I'd like to clarify. For one, a 500 MCAT may be fine for DO especially considering OP's GPA is way above average for DO. He will be at a clear disadvantage at the select top DO schools, but his chances remain relatively solid at many DO schools.
The following DO schools have matriculant MCAT averages at 503 or below (All of them have GPA averages below 3.7):

Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine
Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace School of Osteopathic Medicine
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
UIW
Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
Lincoln Memorial University– DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine
Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
University of Pikeville-Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine
Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) at New Mexico State University
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
California Health Sciences University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)
William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine

Second, official resource released from the AAMC has stipulated already that retakers tend to do an average of 3 points higher on their second attempt. OP has a higher chance of doing better than worse.
Source:
PAGE 11
"data show that retesters across a wide range of scores tend to obtain higher scores on their second exams. Figure 9 shows that the median gain for examinees who tested a second time and whose initial scores ranged from 472 to 517 was two to three score points, "

Third, many people will get rejected from DO schools regardless of good stats. All of us have anecdotal recounts of a friend not getting into a school with a high GPA or MCAT There are a plethora of factors that play into an applicant's competitiveness.

Not sure where you got that data for the DO schools being 503 and below but I know for a fact that several on there have matriculant averages at 507+

CHSU hasn't even had its first accepted class yet. How could you know?
PCOM 505+
Western U of health sciences 508 last year

Not sure where you got that data for the DO schools being 503 and below but I know for a fact that several on there have matriculant averages at 507+

CHSU hasn't even had its first accepted class yet. How could you know?
PCOM 505+
Western U of health sciences 508 last year

Average DO matriculant MCAT average was around 504 with a standard deviation of around 5.