Merit aid for vet school

Started by dogcat09
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dogcat09

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! I have been accepted to a few schools, and was wondering if anyone had any knowledge about non-need based merit aid. I could not find any previous discussions about this, so I wanted to see if anyone knows how they work, how one becomes eligible? Do we need to submit FASFA's or are they based soley on academics? I've explored the schools websites and they say that they offer merit based scholarships to high achieving students, but don't go into detail about how they given out.

Thanks!
 
This is something that appears to be very dependent on the particular school, and some are more generous in this regard than others.

Some schools will offer merit aid packages and/or scholarships to the top x% of incoming first years, and some will send out forms or a list of scholarships that you can apply for prior to starting, but the majority don't really begin offering merit-based scholarships until after at least the first semester.

Most schools do have a few need-based scholarships, as well, which tend to be based on information that is generated by the FAFSA and also usually have an element of selectiveness based on grades or class rank. Including parental information on your FAFSA will also allow you to potentially be considered for the HPSL, which is a low interest loan (might actually be 0% interest while in school IIRC) that may be offered if you demonstrate financial need.

Also, just as a disclaimer, I would not bank on having scholarships to cover most of your schooling. While, again, this may be school dependent, scholarships for vet students are few and far between, tend to go to the same group of people over and over again (in my admittedly short-lived experience at my vet school, at least), and generally do not account for more than $1k-2k which, while nice and will certainly help with living costs, won't make even a dent in tuition. Definitely try for them if you've got the opportunity and eligibility---nothing to lose, really---but just don't be disappointed if you don't receive one. Especially as an incoming first year with no previous vet school academic history.

Thank you! That pretty much confirms what I was thinking. I had a hefty merit aid scholarship for undergrad so just wishful thinking.
 
This is something that appears to be very dependent on the particular school, and some are more generous in this regard than others.

Some schools will offer merit aid packages and/or scholarships to the top x% of incoming first years, and some will send out forms or a list of scholarships that you can apply for prior to starting, but the majority don't really begin offering merit-based scholarships until after at least the first semester.

Most schools do have a few need-based scholarships, as well, which tend to be based on information that is generated by the FAFSA and also usually have an element of selectiveness based on grades or class rank. Including parental information on your FAFSA will also allow you to potentially be considered for the HPSL, which is a low interest loan (might actually be 0% interest while in school IIRC) that may be offered if you demonstrate financial need.

Also, just as a disclaimer, I would not bank on having scholarships to cover most of your schooling. While, again, this may be school dependent, scholarships for vet students are few and far between, tend to go to the same group of people over and over again (in my admittedly short-lived experience at my vet school, at least), and generally do not account for more than $1k-2k which, while nice and will certainly help with living costs, won't make even a dent in tuition. Definitely try for them if you've got the opportunity and eligibility---nothing to lose, really---but just don't be disappointed if you don't receive one. Especially as an incoming first year with no previous vet school academic history.
Good to hear it's not just my school....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Or maybe I'm just salty because my GPA in vet school was terrible and so I rarely qualified for anything, anyway. Meh.
em

I've been looking at our scholarships over the last several days and every single one basically has "good academic standing". My friend said, "Not to be mean, but do you qualify as 'good academic standing'?" I basically said, "Hell if I know. I'm going to submit them any way." There was a recent rumor going around of basically only the top 10% of each class is considered for scholarships. My salty self doesn't really care any more. I do what I want. Have fun reading my 22 unique essays on veterinary medicine that will basically be talking about the same two dogs, just in different ways.
 
There are some scholarships that you can get as a 'normal' student because you've shown great interest in [topic/field] or you have some rather specific extenuating circumstances that the scholarship caters towards, but the majority will go to the top 25% of the class easily, with the biggest and best going to the top 3% or so. From my general experience.

If I ever win the super duper lottery, I'll offer like a $5k scholarship to vet schools and it'll be to someone who must be in the bottom 50% of their class. I'll have to come up with some sort of way to decide who gets it, but it wont be based on your GPA.
 
em

I've been looking at our scholarships over the last several days and every single one basically has "good academic standing". My friend said, "Not to be mean, but do you qualify as 'good academic standing'?" I basically said, "Hell if I know. I'm going to submit them any way." There was a recent rumor going around of basically only the top 10% of each class is considered for scholarships. My salty self doesn't really care any more. I do what I want. Have fun reading my 22 unique essays on veterinary medicine that will basically be talking about the same two dogs, just in different ways.
I actually got it confirmed (in writing) from ASA that they consider the top 25% to be what is "good academic standing" to them. It's a confusing phrase, typically it would just mean that you're not on any sort of probation. They also said "But you should still apply for everything!!" Like why would I waste time when you give the same people multiple scholarships every year, including ones they didn't actually qualify for?

I just applied for the ones I could write decent essays for and that I felt I had any sort of chance for. I didn't bother for any 'good academic standing' ones.
There are some scholarships that you can get as a 'normal' student because you've shown great interest in [topic/field] or you have some rather specific extenuating circumstances that the scholarship caters towards, but the majority will go to the top 25% of the class easily, with the biggest and best going to the top 3% or so. From my general experience.

If I ever win the super duper lottery, I'll offer like a $5k scholarship to vet schools and it'll be to someone who must be in the bottom 50% of their class. I'll have to come up with some sort of way to decide who gets it, but it wont be based on your GPA.
Most hours devoted to their school's wildlife clinic?