Merit based scholarships for DO programs??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

On_The_Way_Up

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Shadowing a DO doctor right now and she got a merit based scholarship back when she went to med school. How much merit based scholarships do they typically give out? I heard DO schools don’t have as much scholarships. Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

Shadowing a DO doctor right now and she got a merit based scholarship back when she went to med school. How much merit based scholarships do they typically give out? I heard DO schools don’t have as much scholarships. Is this true?

Few if any. Most are for URM students or those going into PC/willing to remain in the state in a in need area for x years.

I wouldn't even worry about getting a scholarship from a DO school. Fill out whatever forms the school gives you and if you are one of the very few that gets one then great, but no one should go to a DO school expecting a scholarship. Most of the ones that exist are for URM students that fit a VERY specific profile.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school offers multiple scholarships. However, we are one of the state schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I specifically begged KCU and DMU for scholarships, got absolutely nil.

My state MD school had much lower tuition *and* gave me a nice little podiatry-sized scholarship.

I think it has a lot to do with different cultures. My scholarship comes directly from a named alumni source, so it’s not like the big DO schools couldn’t be doing as good of a job at getting alumni support, they just don’t, apparently. I hope that changes soon.

I specifically begged KCU and DMU for scholarships, got absolutely nil.

My state MD school had much lower tuition *and* gave me a nice little podiatry-sized scholarship.

I think it has a lot to do with different cultures. My scholarship comes directly from a named alumni source, so it’s not like the big DO schools couldn’t be doing as good of a job at getting alumni support, they just don’t, apparently. I hope that changes soon.
KCU has their cutoffs for them.
State MD's also receive funding from the state when very few DO schools are actually "state" schools, so they are able to push alumni funding into scholarships.

Reactions: 1 user
When we are talking about scholarship what amount are we talking about?

Last edited:
My school had a bunch of $500-1000 scholarships. Anything approaching big money was for rural FM.

I received a little bit last year and this year. Something is better than nothing. :)

Campbell University / CUSOM does and a decent number of people end up getting them.

- Presidential scholarship is 20k/yr if GPA 3.5 and MCAT >75th percentile.

- Deans scholarship is 10k/yr if GPA 3.5 and MCAT >45th percentile or 3.3 and MCAT >75th percentile.

- Campbell University Scholarship is 10k/yr if a Campbell University undergraduate graduate with GPA 3.3 and MCAT >45th percentile.

Reactions: 2 users
Campbell University / CUSOM does and a decent number of people end up getting them.

- Presidential scholarship is 20k/yr if GPA 3.5 and MCAT >75th percentile.

- Deans scholarship is 10k/yr if GPA 3.5 and MCAT >45th percentile or 3.3 and MCAT >75th percentile.

- Campbell University Scholarship is 10k/yr if a Campbell University undergraduate graduate with GPA 3.3 and MCAT >45th percentile.

That’s rather generous.