Mesoderm/Ectoderm/Endoderm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CyborgNinjaX

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do we really need to know what they all form into? I mean I have an idea as to where they are on the gastrula and from vocabulary I know that ecto relates to outside, while endo is on the inside. I have a hard time differentiating between mesoderm and ectoderm because they both relate to the internal organs...

Members don't see this ad.

Do we really need to know what they all form into? I mean I have an idea as to where they are on the gastrula and from vocabulary I know that ecto relates to outside, while endo is on the inside. I have a hard time differentiating between mesoderm and ectoderm because they both relate to the internal organs...

yes, you need to know what they form into... jb!:)

Yea there will be definately questions on this. They will say like from what does Adrenal cortex form from? (mesoderm).

Just memorize them!! (it will get you that 1 point that might differentiate you from 19-20 or whatever!)

endo-and digestive and i believe respiratory...inner lining of digestive tract....liver...lungs..pancreas...
ecto-eyes...teeth....skin...and i think nervous system...(correct me if i'm wrong)
meso-everything else...ciruculatory..muscle....reproductive....HEART...

lol just the jist of it...the more u know the better:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea there will be definately questions on this. They will say like from what does Adrenal cortex form from? (mesoderm).

Just memorize them!! (it will get you that 1 point that might differentiate you from 19-20 or whatever!)

isnt the andrenal cortex and medulla from your ectoderm because they are part of your nervous system?

just for fun

zygote > morula > blastula > gastrulation > neuralation

1) from zygote to mourla there is "cleavage" meaning the ball of mass doesnt grow, but divide getting smaller and smaller
2) morula the ball of mass...as you move its gets more dense
3) formation of the blastopore and the liquid filled cavity (blastocoel),
for humans the blastopore will become the anus...and mostly high order animals...(deuterstome)...other lower order animals it will become the mouth
4) during gastrulation we get the 3 germ layers (medo, ecto, endo) and the blastocoel becomes the archerteron (the gut)
5) neuralation...the notochord formation....

isnt the andrenal cortex and medulla from your ectoderm because they are part of your nervous system?

No, here is the reason:

An inner medulla, which is a source of the catecholamines epinephrine and norepinephrine. The medulla is controlled by sympathetic fibers and is, in essence, an extension of the sympathetic nervous system.

An outer cortex, which secretes several classes of steroid hormones (glucocorticoids and mineralocorticoids, plus a few others). Which are all part of endocrine organ.

So, yea as you said, medulla = ecto, which cortex = mesoderm

Reactions: 1 user
the adrenal cortex = mesoderm
adrenal medulla = ectoderm

I'm sure most people have heard this one from Kaplan.

Ectoderm = Atractodern (Things people are attracted to)
Mesoderm = Meansoderm (How we get around.. etc)

Well I used those and thought of these sayings to remember AC vs AM.

So for Adrenal Cortex (AC) - Mesoderm
"When I say turn on the AC.. I MEAN turn on the AC!!"

And for Adrenal Medulla (AM) - Ectoderm
"I AM ATTRACTIVE!"

...stupid I know.. but now I won't forget!

I'm sure most people have heard this one from Kaplan.

Ectoderm = Atractodern (Things people are attracted to)
Mesoderm = Meansoderm (How we get around.. etc)

Well I used those and thought of these sayings to remember AC vs AM.

So for Adrenal Cortex (AC) - Mesoderm
"When I say turn on the AC.. I MEAN turn on the AC!!"

And for Adrenal Medulla (AM) - Ectoderm
"I AM ATTRACTIVE!"

...stupid I know.. but now I won't forget!

I've never heard of this. But good to know.