Message for aspiring DO's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cedricw

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, a little about me. I applied this last year to only MD schools even though I was interested in both MD and DO. I got several interviews but no acceptances and a few waitlists. I began getting discouraged. In hindsight, I could have kicked myself for not applying to DO schools. I started reading more and more about osteopathic medicine and became increasingly interested the more I studied. For the upcoming cycle I submitted both MD and DO apps and at one point I was seriously considering applying early decision to a DO school.

Just the other day I was pulled off the waitlist at an MD school to which I had applied. I am extremely happy that I don't have to go through the process again, but at the same time a little sorry that I will never get to learn OMM.

What I really want to tell all of you aspiring DOs is that it takes a lot of guts to stand up for what you believe in and pursue your goals even when there are a lot of people against you. The bias I have seen towards DOs from pre-MDs is absolutely frightening. It is scary to think that a future healthcare provider could have so much jealousy and hate in his heart simply because someone is a little different. Truth be known, MDs and DOs and virtually identical except for the fact that DOs are taught some additional treatment methods that MDs disagree with (typically because they know little of the subject). I strongly admire the fact that many of you choose DO because it appeals to you more and you don't give a damn what anybody else has to say.

Continue striving for your goals and we shall be colleagues some day.

Members don't see this ad.

cedricw- That was an awesome post. Thank you, and I personally look forward to being your future colleague.

------------------
Sara
UHS Class of 2004

I have applied to only a DO early decision program. It is nice to hear from a future MD who actually has investigated osteopathy and doesn't bash it. Osteopathic medicine takes a different approach (holism), but like you said is basically identical to allopathic medicine with the exception of OMT. We will all use the same lab reports and methods, diagnose the same pathologies, prescribe the same drugs, and help the same people. Thank you, Cedric, for being so open minded. It is physicians (physicians to be incl.) like you that will make practicing medicine someday a joy. By the way where were you accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your kind words! Your post should be mandatory reading for all med students...esp some of those here and on the TPR site.

I wish you the best in your future and look to being one of your colleagues. Afterall, when it is all said and done, none of the adult physicians give much of a hoot about this controversy that consumes pre-meds and gunners.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

ced,

Superb post first of all, thanks for the honesty. I also applied 2 yrs ago but only got 2 interviews and then waitlisted and then dropped. I suppose I could kick myself in the rear for not going the DO route at the time, but I was naive and spooked by the prejudices against DO's. That was then and this is now.

With some maturity, some research on ost. med., and a 8,10,10,P I am back in the game. As of today my DO apps are in, but I'm reconsidering whether or not to apply to allopathic med. I feel ost med is far superior in the humanistic (and holistic) approach to healing. Legally its the exact same thing, all you have to deal with are ridiculous prejudices (coming from, ironically enough, educated professionals) If you ask me, ost med has a bright future.

Finally ced, I appreciate your attitude towards ost med, you would make the consummate professional physician. Best of luck.

I work in a hospital where there are numerous DO's and all of the Dr.'s are treated the same regardless of their choice. It appears that this type of discussion is heaviest in forums like this one. In the real world, DO's and MD's are both respected as equivalent.

------------------
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example." Pudd'nhead Wilson

I am proposing that all M.D.'s and D.O.'s merge under one heading called M.O.P's.
M.O.P.'s = Medical and Osteopathic Physicians.
I only put the Medical first because it has a better abbreviation.

This way, everyone has one of their title initials in there so everyone is happy.

pt: "Excuse me doctor, are you an M.D. or a D.O.?"
doc: "Neither ma'am. I'm....a M.O.P.!!" (insert theme music here)

The few, the proud, the M.O.P.'s. Coming to an HMO near you.

Seriously folks, jealousy/animosity or whatever you want to call it is ridiculous. I think too much focus is placed on where you went to school or what degree you have or what specialty you are. Point is, if you could endure the rigors of medical school (accredited, mind you) and have a desire to help people, then do it. No one should give you a hard time. Aren't all medical professionals focused on the same goal...the health and well being of the patient?

Well, I think they should be.

Have a good night.

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
"D.O. Wannabe"