Message From ASA President

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The ASA should learn a thing or two from the AAO, they seem to have the ODs on a leash - halted their legislative efforts in numerous states and VA hospitals, successfully limited their scope of practice in certain places, banning them from AAO conferences, etc.

The AAO takes care of business. They aren't complacent and aren't afraid to make their tactics public.

That's another petpeeve of mine, to see that ASA conferences are opened to CRNAs. Talk about a bad move. Again, I think money prevails over common sense at the ASA.

Members don't see this ad.

That's another petpeeve of mine, to see that ASA conferences are opened to CRNAs. Talk about a bad move. Again, I think money prevails over common sense at the ASA.

yeah, if you guys visit the ophthalmology forum, you'll see how aggressive the AAO is. They don't take any BS.

yeah, if you guys visit the ophthalmology forum, you'll see how aggressive the AAO is. They don't take any BS.

After the optometrists convinced Oklahoma lawmakers to give them surgical rights, the AAO fought back and rolled back the changes. That's the kind of response I'm talking about.

After the first state that opted-out, the ASA should have done something similar.

Members don't see this ad :)

As I pointed out in a different thread, you have to be careful with being aggressive. Yes, the AAO did fight back hard against the ODs recently in NM. However, the way they went about it pissed off lots of the NM legislature. I suspect that the next time the NM ODs try for scope expansion, the lawmakers will remember how the AAO behaved and act accordingly.

After the optometrists convinced Oklahoma lawmakers to give them surgical rights, the AAO fought back and rolled back the changes. That's the kind of response I'm talking about.

After the first state that opted-out, the ASA should have done something similar.

We lost some battles to the AANA. No doubt about it. But, we have not lost the war, yet. There is still time to beat the AANA back and keep the specialty from becoming Nursing. But, this requires the next generation to step up to the plate and join the fight.

Blade

...ASA conferences are opened to CRNAs...
At the very least, I would hope that meetings re ASA-PAC and ASA's legislative efforts are open only to ASA members. Apart from that, in an ideal world it is nice to have a collaborative situation...if only that sentiment was reciprocated...

At the very least, I would hope that meetings re ASA-PAC and ASA's legislative efforts are open only to ASA members. Apart from that, in an ideal world it is nice to have a collaborative situation...if only that sentiment was reciprocated...
I think only the ASA Annual meeting educational sessions and exhibits are open to CRNA's.

The ASA Legislative Conference attendees are made up of delegations from each state component society which would obviously rule out CRNA's, although several AA's have been invited (including myself). If you haven't been, you should go at least once. It will open your eyes to how difficult it is to bring about change, particularly on the federal level.

Likewise, I think ASA-PAC meetings would only be open to PAC members, as it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.