Messed up my first crown preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentistBeast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, how are you? I'm currently a dental student and something embarrassing happened today. I was working on my first ever crown patient and I messed it up pretty bad. I over-reduced the tooth from the first surface I worked on (the labial surface) without even barely getting a chance to actually work... It was humiliating and a lot of people saw it as well. The T.A was able to save it (barely, we're still waiting to see if it's going to need endo work) but I feel pretty upset and depressed about it since I had high hopes for my first tooth. I was wondering if something like this happened to anyone else and I was wondering if someone could answer this question honestly... Does this mean that Dentistry or even crown in particular is just not for me? I would appreciate honest answers. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, how are you? I'm currently a dental student and something embarrassing happened today. I was working on my first ever crown patient and I messed it up pretty bad. I over-reduced the tooth from the first surface I worked on (the labial surface) without even barely getting a chance to actually work... It was humiliating and a lot of people saw it as well. The T.A was able to save it (barely, we're still waiting to see if it's going to need endo work) but I feel pretty upset and depressed about it since I had high hopes for my first tooth. I was wondering if something like this happened to anyone else and I was wondering if someone could answer this question honestly... Does this mean that Dentistry or even crown in particular is just not for me? I would appreciate honest answers. Thanks again!

You are being over sensitive. One mess up, especially at the outset of your career, is not the end of it. Just learn from it and move on. There will be moments like this in every person's career. We've all messed up teeth before.

It's normal to mess up now. Wait til you get out in real life and extract or root canal the wrong tooth.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for both of your replies. It actually did make me feel a lot better. I guess I was being over-sensitive... I'll try to make sure it doesn't happen again I guess :) Thanks again though!

You're still learning, don't be so hard on yourself..... at the end of the day it's just a tooth, don't let it ruin your confidence.

Lab techs LOVE when you give them some "extra" room to work with! :D

Don't get down on yourself. Anyone who says they never made a bad prep, is either isn't tellling the truth or hasn't prepped very many teeth.

In all honesty, with experience, and often a change to a bur size and shape that YOU like (not just your d-school instructors), crown preps get quite "easy" and routine. I know that I use a bur that is a flat end taper in shape where the width of the tip of the bur is 1.2mm. I prep my margins to the width of the bur and then just go back with a chamfered bur to round out the margin profile and i've got the desired prep shape and reducation amount for the ceramist who does my work for about 98% of the teeth I prep for crowns (sometimes if it's a really discolored tooth, or say a lower anterior where it's frankly just a small tooth in the 1st place, i'll alter my prep reductions to reflect that specific situation. But that will indeed likely come to you with a few more prepped teeth! :idea:

I think it's promising that you are owning up to your mistakes - that is hard enough to do in itself. Next time you'll only do better.

Mistakes suck, but how you handle the mistake means much more in my opinion. What did you tell the patient? your TA?

It happens, just don't stress yourself out about it. You'll remember your mistakes and likely, learn from them. Dentistry is about practice, learning, moving on and getting better. Crap happens, as long as you strive to get better from it than you need to realize that's sometimes it's the best you can do.

As long as you didn't prep into the pulp, you're fine. Most labs want way more than the 1mm of facial reduction that they recommend in dental school, otherwise your crowns end up looking bulky in the anterior.

But that's a different post for a different time.

Contach above is dead on with this comment about how to handle the mistakes being more important. How did you/your TA handle the situation? Usually something that can be corrected by the lab isn't something you need to discuss with the patient.

For others like nicking an adjacent tooth (happens occasionally), I usually ask the patient "I don't like the shape of the tooth in front/behind the one I'm working on, can I reshape it to make the contact better on the crown?" Most patients don't care, but you've asked their permission.

Or a tooth you recently worked on needing a root canal, I look the patient in the eye and say, "sometimes these things happen. Anytime we take a bur to a tooth, there is always a chance that the nerve may never recover from the trauma. It sucks, but it happens a small percentage of the time. Here's what we need to do to fix it."

Patient management is the hardest and most important part of dentistry. Learn it early and you will be extremely successful.

Patients know that you're friends, they like you and you don't hurt them. They don't know that you've over-reduced tooth #18 when doing the crown, but they will know if it falls off. They don't know that your filling is perfect, they'll know if it's sensitive or the bite is off.

Learn how to talk to your patients, explain things without accepting/shifting blame and you'll go far with them.

Personally, I learn more from my mess-ups than I do from my successes. This being the case, I wouldn't learn very much if everything went perfectly the very first time...

Chalk it up to a learning experience.

You'll probably never make that mistake again. Always best to get these mistakes out of the way early... and make room for new ones.

Every time I mess something up I figure out one new way to not do dentistry.

Whenever you learn from a mistake, that's one fewer you'll make later on.