Messed up on Secondary...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gurkhali

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So on CWRU's research question for the University Program, I misread the question as being an optional CC track essay. So I wrote N/A and moved on. I realized last night that it was actually meant for the University Track and since I have done some research, I definitely should have answered it.

How badly will this hurt my application and should I email admissions with a short response to the question. mentioning that not answering it was just an oversight?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

So on CWRU's research question for the University Program, I misread the question as being an optional CC track essay. So I wrote N/A and moved on. I realized last night that it was actually meant for the University Track and since I have done some research, I definitely should have answered it.

How badly will this hurt my application and should I email admissions with a short response to the question. mentioning that not answering it was just an oversight?

Thanks.
Email them. Honesty never hearts. You're human. They're human.
They may say you can't change it, or they may say you can. If you say nothing and you think it's a necessary essay, they will reject you and move on...

You really have nothing to lose contacting admissions about it...You have your application fee and your time and effort to be counted as a loss if you don't.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the advice. I didn't know how admissions would see it. I think I'll just send them a short essay response to the question and hope they accept it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. I didn't know how admissions would see it. I think I'll just send them a short essay response to the question and hope they accept it.
Personally, I wouldn't do it that way.

I would first apologize and acknowledge that you may have made a mistake. It shows that you possess the qualities of humility, honesty, and taking ownership.

Then, I would ask if you could submit the essay and where I could submit it. If you just send it to them without asking, it throws off red flags.
They also may have a specific person looking at that essay, and want you to send it to that particular email. You are chancing that they will toss it out, because you are just randomly sending it to admissions.

You're right, I wrote a short email explaining what happened and acknowledgement of my error. I feel like such a dope haha. Thank you for the advice, brother!

Reactions: 1 user
You're right, I wrote a short email explaining what happened and acknowledgement of my error. I feel like such a dope haha. Thank you for the advice, brother!
I hope it works out for you!

Good luck!

Wait now you are freaking me out. I didn't write that essay either since it was marked optional, but I definitely participated in research

Reactions: 1 user
7. University Program Only Essay - Optional Scholarly Essay

One of the four pillars of the Western Reserve Curriculum is Research and Scholarship. Although research is not a pre-requisite requirement for the University Program, if you have participated in research or in another scholarly project please tell us about it. Describe your experience, including the question you pursued and how you approached it, your results and interpretation of the results, and most importantly, any thoughts about what this experience meant to you. Remember that the definition of research is broadly-based and can include such projects as a senior capstone or a thesis, and can include both medically and non-medically-related investigations.

Please limit your response to 1 page (about 3,500 characters), and leave a blank line between paragraphs. If the 3,500 character recommendation is exceeded, your essay WILL still be saved in its entirety.

If you have not yet participated in research or scholarly work, please indicate NOT APPLICABLE below in the space provided. Your application will not be viewed unfavorably if you have not participated in scholarly work or research.

This is the prompt. This means that it is optional for everyone right? Even the people who did research.

Ya probably but I did do research so it might seem lazy.

Wait now you are freaking me out. I didn't write that essay either since it was marked optional, but I definitely participated in research
LOL. I'm sorry but this made me feel a bit better. Lemme know how it goes friend.