Meta-research (& publishing) as a clinical neonatologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neomd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to get a grasp on the following: my aim is to go into neonatology and work in a climate where my responsibilities are mostly clinical. However, I also want to engage in "meta-research" efforts (e.g., publishing review articles or meta-analyses) and would hope that these contributions will be “appreciated” by my employer in one way or another rather than being seen as something that Dr. N likes to do on the side when he is not working. Would there be working environments/arrangements for neonatologists (e.g., working at a teaching hospital but not being personally affiliated with a medical school or other types of private practice) where such research/publishing efforts would be considered entirely disconnected from my job performance?

Members don't see this ad.

I am trying to get a grasp on the following: my aim is to go into neonatology and work in a climate where my responsibilities are mostly clinical. However, I also want to engage in "meta-research" efforts (e.g., publishing review articles or meta-analyses) and would hope that these contributions will be “appreciated” by my employer in one way or another rather than being seen as something that Dr. N likes to do on the side when he is not working. Would there be working environments/arrangements for neonatologists (e.g., working at a teaching hospital but not being personally affiliated with a medical school or other types of private practice) where such research/publishing efforts would be considered entirely disconnected from my job performance?

You had me until the last sentence and I didn't understand that whole sentence. Regardless, there are many academic positions in which the faculty member is primarily clinical, but does a small amount of academic work. How much and what this consists of is extremely variable.

However, I would point out that it's easier said than done to get systematic evidence-based reviews published, especially as a junior faculty/attending. One generally needs a good bit of time and specific training to be recognized in this area. Perhaps that describes you already, but in general, this type of expertise is not easy to accomplish during residency and fellowship. Doing an MPH MAY help for some people, but even then, it's not easy to do these and get them published.

Thanks for your reply OBP. Sorry my question was worded confusingly.