Metal Oxides and Non-metal Oxides~

Started by chaser0
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chaser0

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could help me understand the distinction between metal/non-metal oxides.

BR indicates that All metal oxides are bases, and All non-metal oxides are acids.

I understand non-metal oxides
SO2 is a Lewis Base because when it is hydrated:
SO2+ H2O = HSO3 + (H+)
I understand this because it results in a free proton.


But I don't quite understand metal oxides:
CaO is a Lewis Base, but
CaO + H2O = Ca(OH)2 + (H+)
How is CaO considered a base when it releases a free Proton?


I understand that the metal hydroxide Ca(OH)2 is a base. But it seems that the metal oxide CaO is Lewis Acid?
 
Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could help me understand the distinction between metal/non-metal oxides.

BR indicates that All metal oxides are bases, and All non-metal oxides are acids.

I understand non-metal oxides
SO2 is a Lewis Base because when it is hydrated:
SO2+ H2O = HSO3 + (H+)
I understand this because it results in a free proton.


But I don't quite understand metal oxides:
CaO is a Lewis Base, but
CaO + H2O = Ca(OH)2 + (H+)
How is CaO considered a base when it releases a free Proton?


I understand that the metal hydroxide Ca(OH)2 is a base. But it seems that the metal oxide CaO is Lewis Acid?
I am not too sure that second equation release a proton...I think it should be: CaO + H2O-------> Ca(OH)2 only..since CaO is a lewis base( electron pair donor).