metastases to liver. . .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arctic Char

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
lung or colon most common?

goljan and rapir review both say lung. sloan kettering and eMedicine both say colon is the most common primary cancer.

i'm going with colon for now . . . but just wondered what others thought . . .

Members don't see this ad.

keep in mind those goljan lectures arent so recent
who knows when they first started making their circuit on the USMLE underground railroad

I am going to say colon based purely on the fact that the SMA and IMA and SRV all drain to the portal vein and into the liver
that would be my first choice if it were a question

the lung I feel can metastasize everywhere its got a quick journey to the heart and then boom all over the place

its like everyones lauging having a good time and then metastasis shows up and everyones dead:scared:

anyways

your plant is huge and by plant i mean the one in your room

it tried eating me yesterday

izzle

I think it would be very unlikely that you would see a question that would test this bit of trivia. If I did, I'd say colon. That answer reflects an understanding of blood supply, at least, so I could understand why the question would be written.

right, that was my reasoning as well. shows you know the portal circulation as well as the concept of hematogenous spread.

goljan's lectures are indeed old, but his book is brand new. nonetheless, i am going with colon . . .

thank you for the update on wilhelm . . . he's like my baby, but green, and has longer appendages than any kin of mine would ever have . . . thanks for watering him

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah its cool
not a problem i stole preggers' watering pail so it makes life easier

good to do when i have goljan blasting on the mini speakers all over the apartment

our neighbors certainly are getting a good medical education

hey I posted on some pharm strategies

what did you for pharm
did you stick to first aid

also
if they still sell mr bubbles in the states bring some back i forgot how awesome our jacuzzi bathtub is for relaxin:laugh:

I'd go with colon cancer, bronchogenic lung cancer doesn't really metastasize before killing you. I don't think it has too much to do with blood supply actually---lung cancer spread to the adrenals doesn't make too much sense beyond the fact that lung tumor cells seem to have a tropism for the adrenals. Most cancer is still spread by lymphatics (larger holes than venules for tumor cells to enter) and most of those tumor cells are still trapped by nodes.

its so funny you mention that i just got that question on UW
and i got it wrong the most likely spread of lung mets is to the adrenal gland....i was like wtf

i think i put brain

i figured if it can get to the heart it can fo sho get to the brain
:p