Metastatis to Liver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kkc620

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there have been previous posts about this but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer in any of those. FA says most common primary tumor metastasis to liver is colon but Goljan says lung. Which is correct?

Members don't see this ad.

I know there have been previous posts about this but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer in any of those. FA says most common primary tumor metastasis to liver is colon but Goljan says lung. Which is correct?

I think a more important question is "is knowing what is more common actually going to make or break me on a question during the real test." If there are discrepancies in the literature about which is actually more common to met to the liver (as Goljan says in his audio lecture), how can they test it on Step 1?

yeah, this has been bugging me too. Can't learn things presented as completely opposed "truths". Here is what eMedicine article says:

"Metastasis is the most common neoplasm in an adult liver, and the liver is the second most common site for metastatic spread, after the lymph nodes. Analyzing the data from 9700 consecutive autopsies in patients with 10,736 primary cancers, Pickren et al found that liver metastases were present in 41%. They found that the primary sites most commonly metastasizing to the liver are the eye (77.8%), pancreas (75.1%), breast (60.6%), gallbladder and extrahepatic bile ducts (60.5%), colon or rectum (56.8%), and stomach (48.9%). In their article, Gilbert et al concluded that the liver is a primary target organ of gastrointestinal (GI) cancers, some urologic cancers, neuroblastomas, some melanomas, and lung cancers. In breast cancer, the liver is less often the primary target organ. The liver may be the only organ involved in colorectal primaries, HCCs, and neuroendocrine tumors."

So there you go... a third and even more incongruous source. I am going with FA... makes most sense to me. Even though I think Goljan states Lung as does USMLE World. (they say lung most commonly to the adrenals but most common met in liver is lung. [if I remember right.])

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
From practical experience, the most common source of metastatic tumor to the liver is colon, by far. That is, if you have a metastatic tumor in the liver, it is most likely to be from the colon. I have never seen data saying lung cancer is the most common metastatic tumor in the liver. But I haven't gone looking for it either. Perhaps you are misinterpreting some statement in the lecture? The lungs are the most common SITE for metastases of many other tumors...I also highly doubt that the most common site of a lung cancer metastasis is the adrenal gland. Sometimes data get misinterpreted.

However, most colon cancers do not metastasize to the liver (because most are early stage, confined to the colon and its lymph nodes). Perhaps some tumors tend to metastasize to the liver at a higher rate than colon tumors, simply by having more metastatic potential. But because of the sheer # of colon cancers as compared to, say, ocular melanomas. Thus, this is how you explain the data in the paragraph quoted just above my post - pancreatic cancers are much rarer than colon cancers, yet they metastasize to the liver at a higher rate (according to that data). Just use simple numbers - if there are 100,000 colon cancers and 10,000 pancreatic cancers, 56000 colon cancers would spread to the liver as opposed to only 7500 pancreatic cancers. Does that make sense?

Don't read too much into these questions. If they do ask you, it's only one question.

I agree. A higher percentage of ocular tumors go to the liver (according to that data), but of course they are not the most common met found in the liver. And by this reasoning, considering the higher number of lung cancers relative to colon cancer overall, it is also possible to conceive that lung is more commonly found in the liver but a smaller percentage of lung relative to colon goes to the liver.

And I have to stand by the adrenal metastasis information as much as one can... both USMLE world and Goljan say it I think... they go most often to the adrenals but are usually asymptomatic unless bilateral.

But, yeah, I am not going to lose a lot of sleep over this.

uhm. off topic. But instead of starting a new thread like I have been doing, I was just hoping someone reading knows why turner's syndrome is associated with adult type "congenital" coarctation of the aorta as opposed to infantile. Just read that in USMLE world and it does not make sense to me... are they born with adult type coarc?

Could it be that Goljan was referring to an autopsy study and that the figure that FA and the NBME uses is from clinical prevalence studies in (still) living patients?

Just look at the age of the patient as well as PMH in the vignette. If it's someone above 60 years old it's probably a primary in the colon. If it's a 40 y.o. with hx of smoking, then more likely lung.

FWIW I found it confusing as well having different sources conflict regarding where the primary is when you see mets in liver... UW and Goljan both indeed say it's more likely lung, while FA and other sources say colon... hopefully both won't be listed, that'd be crappy.

Just look at the age of the patient as well as PMH in the vignette. If it's someone above 60 years old it's probably a primary in the colon. If it's a 40 y.o. with hx of smoking, then more likely lung.

FWIW I found it confusing as well having different sources conflict regarding where the primary is when you see mets in lung... UW and Goljan both indeed say it's more likely lung, while FA and other sources say colon... hopefully both won't be listed, that'd be crappy.

yeah they'd prob talk about some old guy with a microcytic anemia and liver mets...ka ching.

If I get a picture of a liver with definite mets w/o a helpful vignette I'm going with lung. There is no scientific basis to this decision. Goljan said in his lecture that it was lung, his RR book (pg 386) reiterates this, and UW makes point of it. All three of these sources are specifically catered to answer USMLE type questions. First Aid has been wrong hundreds of times in the past (the errata list on their website is one of my top resources) and it wouldn't surprise me if they were wrong again. Just thought I'd let you all know what I'm doing if this shows up on my test on Saturday.

If I get a picture of a liver with definite mets w/o a helpful vignette I'm going with lung. There is no scientific basis to this decision. Goljan said in his lecture that it was lung, his RR book (pg 386) reiterates this, and UW makes point of it. All three of these sources are specifically catered to answer USMLE type questions. First Aid has been wrong hundreds of times in the past (the errata list on their website is one of my top resources) and it wouldn't surprise me if they were wrong again. Just thought I'd let you all know what I'm doing if this shows up on my test on Saturday.

I find it disturbing that FA has lung listed about 5th or 6th instead of 2nd.

Robbins only says "the most common primaries producing hepatic metatstases are those of the breast, lung, and colon"

http://www.turkgastro.org/text.php?id=428

This article states, "Of all tumors whose primary focus was determined, metastasis of pulmonary tumors was the most frequent."

uhm. off topic. But instead of starting a new thread like I have been doing, I was just hoping someone reading knows why turner's syndrome is associated with adult type "congenital" coarctation of the aorta as opposed to infantile. Just read that in USMLE world and it does not make sense to me... are they born with adult type coarc?

Turner's is associated w/ infantile coarctation.

that makes sense to me... which is why USMLE World threw me for a huge loop calling it adult type twice... but who knows. I should look it up to be safe.

http://www.turkgastro.org/text.php?id=428

This article states, "Of all tumors whose primary focus was determined, metastasis of pulmonary tumors was the most frequent."

That article is poorly written. If you really care about the answer to this (if I was you, I would just remember whichever source you trust more and move on, don't spend too much time on this) you can look at their data, which is so haphazard as to be nearly uninterpretable (at least, if you are looking for epidemiologic data like this)

I think they are trying to say something different there. Table two says that of the 704 total metastatic lesions, 443 were adenocarcinomas, 95 "malignant epithelial tumors" (whatever that means), 45 squamous cells, and 43 small cells. They only give the primary source of 194 of the adenocarcinomas, which means most were unknown primary. Table 3, which is entitled "Distribution of metastatic liver adenocarcinomas by their primary foci" has lung 4%, stomach 20%, colon 22%, breast 20%, ovaries 12%. You can parse this data all you want but basically it means that they didn't tell us the right stuff that you need to know to answer your question. So drawing any conclusions from this paper is not advised.

The WHO, who is basically the definitive source for this kind of thing, says the order of frequency is upper GI tract (stomach, gallbladder, pancreas; 44-78%); colon 56-58%, lung 42-43%, breast 52-53%, esophagus 32-33%, GU tract 24-38%. My interpretation (since if you add all those up you get well over 100%) is that these numbers refer to percentage of cases of each type of tumor that eventually metastasize to the liver. Actual incidence of tumor types can be found from the CDC or the WHO. In 2004, they say there were 145,000 colorectal tumors, and 196,000 lung tumors. Multiply by above percentage and that means there were 82000 lung cancers that metastasized to the liver and about about 82000 colon cancers that metastasized. Which one is more? Depends whose math you use. If you use the breast numbers (189,000 tumors) you get 98,000. So by that logic breast is more common. Except for the fact that it isn't in real life.

The refereces, by the way, that the WHO gives for this data, are all at least 20 years old. One of them is from 1977 and is incidence in Malmo, another is 1982, and the third and most respected is the textbook published by the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, in which they use autopsy data from 1150 patients and state that lung is 24.8%, colon 15.7%, pancreas and breast 10% each, followed by others including 5% unknown.
All I would say is that in clinical practice, it seems as though colon is more common.

The other problem I have from all this data is that I highly doubt that these numbers are right anymore. Cancers are being caught earlier. Do 50% of breast cancers eventually metastasize to the liver? No way! It seems like more than 50% of breast cancers are cured these days by surgery from early detection. But I might be wrong there - old data is old data, remember.

What do you conclude from this? Stop worrying about it so much. If you get the question on Step I, remember it, and write them a letter of complaint in which you say that the data is conflicting and you want to know the real answer, or that they should throw out the question because there is no answer. Or you can just think like the question writer who probably assumes that colon is the most common (because clinically when you are faced with a liver mass and you are considering figuring out what it is and doing something about it, it's probably colon. If lung cancers spread to the liver, usually they have mets elsewhere and it is not a diagnostic dilemma) and just say colon.

Or go with the AFIP and say lung. Either way, just complain about the data because nothing has really been published in the past 20 years on this issue, and no doubt it has changed.

The most important thing to remember: Metastatic tumors are the most common type of liver tumor. Don't forget that one.

To complicate matters further, UW has a question about a guy with lung cancer and asks the most likely place for it to spread. Answer? Adrenals.

first aid also says that the most common organs to receive mets are the adrenals, due to their "rich blood supply." that really is a new one to me.

first aid also says that the most common organs to receive mets are the adrenals, due to their "rich blood supply." that really is a new one to me.
That's what I've been thinking this entire time. That seems to be the most common site, or at least what they expect in an answer choice.

I think a more important question is "is knowing what is more common actually going to make or break me on a question during the real test." If there are discrepancies in the literature about which is actually more common to met to the liver (as Goljan says in his audio lecture), how can they test it on Step 1?

I had a question asking me where colon cancer would most likely metastasize to on my COMLEX today (I said liver).

I guess the boards people want us to know this.

So if the patient has lung cancer (can anyone specify which type) --->adrenals?

So if the patient is over 40 but under 60, expect lung ---> liver?

And if the patient is over 60 and a smoker, expect lung ---> colon?

And colon ----> liver?

I prefer to visualize over having to hear or write mets 3-4 times.

TIA

I had a question asking me where colon cancer would most likely metastasize to on my COMLEX today (I said liver).

I guess the boards people want us to know this.

That question is more fair game (and has an obvious answer) then, "here's a liver with mets (no other info about the patient), where is the primary site?" The answer to that question is what this thread is about.