MFM and Moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tk2med

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I notice that a lot of fellowship listings mention moonlighting for extra income. How much can one make in addition to the fellowship by moonlighting, and is it worth the extra time? I am only a MS2 but am married and have 2 kids and was wondering about any extra income during a fellowship. MFM interests me and I was wondering if anyone has any good information.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the exact opportunity type!

- Some (including the program I am going to) allow in house moonlighting (L&D) equalling 25-40,000 per year.

- Some allow outside moonlighting equalling 25-50,000 per year depending on your schedule in fellowship, proximity of the site, etc.

- Some allow extra work as moonlighting such as writing chapters, reviewing legal cases, etc. which have variable returns but substantially lower.

- Some do not allow moonlighting (few), which in my case took them out of my application pool since I have a mortgage, family, and need higher than just resident income.

Hope the info helps ya! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info! I'm in the same boat as you global disrobal, except I entered medicine a little later than most thus my interest a little more income than a single fellow or resident if possible.

thanks again

I agree with GD above. I just matched into MFM fellowship on the west coast. There is moonlighting but the chair of the dept really does not like it. So when it comes time you are just going to have to ask the fellows where you interview....honestly what you read on a website is really not alot!

Making over a 100 definitely makes it easier to pass up on the immediate check for 3 years... The good thing is the degree to which everyone was so honest and understanding with respect to moonlighting.