MFM fellowship Match 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OBGirlie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is not meant to be a competitive post at all!

I am apply for MFM, but I'm the only person in my program applying for a fellowship.

I am just curious as to how many people applying for MFM have received interviews so far. Is it still considered early in terms of invitations being sent for interviewing?

I have 5 interviews so far.

Good luck to all in the match this year!

Members don't see this ad.

I've gotten 3 so far. Most places will not say anything until late June or July.

Does anyone have any information on how long a rank order list typically should be to match? I know a guy who went on 5 interviews and matched, but I'm nervous and am shooting for as many interviews as I can . . hopefully it isn't over kill!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be interested in hearing about your interview experiences and the application process. I'm thinking about applying next year. Any more interviews yet? How many programs were you advised to apply to?

I have a friend who is interviewing for Gyn-Onc this season and has to give presentations on her research or a chosen topic at a lot of the interviews. Anything like that going on in MFM? Sounds intimidating.

On a separate note, did the programs ask for CREOG scores as part of the application?

I'd be interested in hearing about your interview experiences and the application process. I'm thinking about applying next year. Any more interviews yet? How many programs were you advised to apply to?

I have a friend who is interviewing for Gyn-Onc this season and has to give presentations on her research or a chosen topic at a lot of the interviews. Anything like that going on in MFM? Sounds intimidating.

On a separate note, did the programs ask for CREOG scores as part of the application?

MFM is nowhere near as intense as onc. I think about 15% of the programs I applied to have asked for CREOG scores.

Unless I am mistaken, I do recall a rule strictly prohibiting the use of CREOG scores for this purpose. Having said that, I did have several programs ask for the scores when I applied for MFM.

Overall though, at least for our program, we looked at research and content of the letters of recommendation the most.

Best of luck on the match to all of you.

When do interview invites stop coming for 2011? Are all sent out already?

With 5-7 interviews, is a match likely based on typical past years' match # stats if you are have some research, good community program background etc? Would 10+ interviews almost ensure you a match or is it not much different from 5? How many interviews are necessary to be 'comfortable' entering match.....or is this an impossibility?

(Probably not what you want to hear)
It is impossible to guess the "correct" or "safe" number of programs to apply to as many factors play a role. I've know applicants (including from last year's match) who failed to match with interviews at 10+ programs, and matched with only 3 interviews.

I would send the application in, interview at as many programs as feasible, rank based on what you think of the programs (and not necessarily where you think the programs will rank you) and let the match work itself out.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the feedback, GD --- it's OK --- better to keep it realistic!!

Do you recall when interview invitations stop going out for a given year? October match date, interviews in July, Aug and Sept.......will invites continue through the end of July or are they all sent out for the season by now?

They are predominantly all sent out by the end of July (I had one program send it in early August). In some instances (such as our program), if someone turns down an invite for whatever reason, then an invite goes out later to another applicant.

Thanks for the feedback, GD

Good to know that invites may still keep coming in the next few weeks...I just want Oct 12 to be here already.....

does anyone know how big the pool of applicants is this year??

You won't know until the number are released on match day. Subjectively, it looks similar to last year, at least at our institution.

Good luck!

The only program that I know of in MFM where you give a presentation during your interview is Wayne State.

I am about half way through my season. Interviewing through September.

The only program that I know of in MFM where you give a presentation during your interview is Wayne State.

I am about half way through my season. Interviewing through September.

That's good to know since I live by Wayne State and am very interested in MFM after my pregnancy with hyperemesis.

How are the interviews going? What do you think of the various programs you've visited?