Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

MFT and LPC can't bill Medicare/Medicaid but . . .

Discussion in 'Mental Health and Social Welfare' started by Therapistemology, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Therapistemology

. . . how much does this matter? I'm interested only in private clinical practice, and MFT and LPC programs interest me more than MSW programs - but I'm wondering if I'm going to make my life financially very difficult to start by not being able to get Medicare/Medicaid clients. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice about this?

Thanks so much for your time.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Salvador

2+ Year Member

The field of social work has been around for a very long time, so we've been able to advocate for our profession. It comes as no surprise that MFT and LPC (newer) are having issues in regards to billing. It would not surprise me if they are able to bill Medicare/Medicate within the next 10-20 years. If you want to start your own practice immediately, it will be an issue if you bill Medicare/Medicaid. It's a separate story however if you are paid directly from your clients, in which case MFT/LPC is feasible but again, you are gonna have to be savvy in self-advertising