MGMA and Anecdotal Salary Discrepancies

Started by carml
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

carml

Y2K
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do folks have any ideas for the difference in salary b/w the often quoted 150's here on the forums vs MGMA's low to mid 200's medians? I'm guessing MGMA's methodology of lumping all sub-specialties together, but not sure.
 

Attachments

Do folks have any ideas for the difference in salary b/w the often quoted 150's here on the forums vs MGMA's low to mid 200's medians? I'm guessing MGMA's methodology of lumping all sub-specialties together, but not sure.

Those numbers look ridiculously high from other figures I've seen. Maybe they've included pain management along with regular PM&R. But also, a lot of anecdotal numbers are from starting positions that go up substantially after a few years due to a more robust patient base.
 
Those numbers look ridiculously high from other figures I've seen. Maybe they've included pain management along with regular PM&R. But also, a lot of anecdotal numbers are from starting positions that go up substantially after a few years due to a more robust patient base.

Someone correct if I'm wrong, but those MGMA numbers are from private practice folks greater than three years out from residency. As mentioned, the low numbers brought up on this forum are typically just out, non-private practice, non-spine/pain numbers. I would also guess there is some selection bias in that if you make better change you are more likely to fill out the salary survey.