MGMA data

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rheumination1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how accurate the MGMA data is? As a fresh resident (IM-hospitalist) or as a fresh medicine fellow, I understand we get paid less than more established individuals (or partners if in a private practice) but should the salary be closer to the lowest 10th percentile or be more towards the 25th or the median? This is in the setting for a suburb of a large urban city.

Trying to negotiate contracts here, hopefully the responses won't be the blind leading the blind. ;-)

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why does it matter what specialty someone is? Seems irrelevant to the topic of discussion.

Why does it matter what specialty someone is? Seems irrelevant to the topic of discussion.

It's entirely feasible that MGMA data is more accurate for some specialties than others.

That said, you have to consider the practice environment and the details of the contract. MGMA is probably the most accurate set of data we have, but if you're looking at academic jobs, you would be much better off using the AAMC data (which will show that academia pays substantially less than private group).

If you're getting just an employed community gig somewhere without a partnership track and you're working full time, you probably should be getting somewhere close to the median for your specialty/region, as adjusted for your practice environment (big city=less generally speaking). Now, that might not be the exact median but I'd be concerned if I wasn't getting the 25th percentile for a regular, full-time gig that doesn't have opportunity for advancement.

If it's a partnership track, you might get less than that initially, but that would transition to more than that once you became a partner. As above, academics is less. Obviously <full-time jobs are less. There's probably a million other factors as well.

Thanks! Really appreciate the detailed answer. And are most partnership tracks 2-3 years?

Thanks! Really appreciate the detailed answer. And are most partnership tracks 2-3 years?

That doesn't sound unreasonable but I don't know if one can really generalize. I've heard a lot of different scenarios regarding timelines, buy-in requirements, etc