MHA at VCU vs UNC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mha1125

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how these compare? What would be the advantages/disadvantages to going to one versus the other?

Members don't see this ad.

I am actually trying to decide between these two so let me know if you find anything! To me it seems like VCU's requirement of a residency is a big plus, especially because they help you secure it. (and they have 100% job placement..can't beat that). VCU also has half the class size of UNC and has a more formal atmosphere. That's really all I can figure out so far. Sorry I can't help more!

I agree. I am really leaning towards VCU because of all the things you mentioned. It is also a plus for me that a lot of their students work while in school, so they can get more real-world experience in the field (which I think is really what puts you ahead in the business world) before they have to start applying for a residency or job.

On the other hand, I am not from Virginia or North Carolina and North Carolina is much cheaper for out of state and offers more financial aid. There is also much more weight in the "UNC School of Public Health" name. I just don't really know how much that matters in this field.

Members don't see this ad :)
i know this thread is two years old, but i'm trying to make the same decision this year.

i was admitted to both schools and extremely impressed on both interview days. i have about two weeks to make my final decision. what are you opinions on each school for the MHA program?

-waystinthyme

I did my undergrad at UNC in HPM. Granted, the masters program would be very different: much more intense, more in-depth, and perhaps a tighter cohort. That said, I had an absolutely fantastic experience with the Department of HPM. Someone above noted the larger cohort size at UNC as a negative, but keep in mind that these people will be a very strong professional network, likely for the rest of your career. The cohort was one of the best things about my experience; it was filled with students whose drive, passion and intelligence constantly inspired me to learn and do my best.

One thing that UNC does very well is endow you with the concrete skill sets that you need to succeed. The faculty will challenge you and you will work very, very, very hard. But you will have strong support enabling you do thrive--the faculty, staff, and your classmates.

The environment at the SPH through all departments is fantastic. The entire school has an energetic and collaborative feel. It truly is a community.

I can't speak to VCU, and I know that an MHA degree from VCU is also very well respected. I do think that anyone who chooses UNC HPM for grad school will have an enriching and fantastic experience.