MHA Student thinking of pursing MD

Started by hiphop1234
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hiphop1234

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,

I am a second year MHA (Masters of healthcare administration) student. I graduated 2 years ago with my BS in biology and cum laude. I've been having this regret lately. You see, I always had plans to pursue something clinical in the healthcare field. I applied to dental school, and was rejected from all the schools I applied. Not a big deal because I then later realized I didn't actually want to be a dentist. Undergrad had burnt me out so bad I decided to hell with anything science related, so I decided to apply to an MHA program because it was still healthcare related, but business instead of science. I can't help but think I made a huge mistake. I'm doing really well in my classes and I do love the thought of working in a huge hospital someday and maybe even having a C-suite position. Still, since the beginning of this semester and with graduation creeping up, I have this lingering feeling and an itch to go back to school to pursue medicine. Before wanting to be a dentist, I always thought about being a doctor, my dad and my grandpa were both doctors, so medicine is nothing new to me.

Anyway, does anyone have any pointers on how I should approach this? I am set to graduate May 2018, then do an internship, but after that, it's up to me really. I already have a BS in biology, all prereqs done, and some shadowing. Should I work for a year, then apply to medical schools? Please help! Any tips are appreciated!

PS I graduated with a 3.6 from undergrad.
 
I am a second year MHA (Masters of healthcare administration) student. I graduated 2 years ago with my BS in biology and cum laude. I've been having this regret lately. You see, I always had plans to pursue something clinical in the healthcare field. I applied to dental school, and was rejected from all the schools I applied. Not a big deal because I then later realized I didn't actually want to be a dentist. Undergrad had burnt me out so bad I decided to hell with anything science related, so I decided to apply to an MHA program because it was still healthcare related, but business instead of science. I can't help but think I made a huge mistake. I'm doing really well in my classes and I do love the thought of working in a huge hospital someday and maybe even having a C-suite position. Still, since the beginning of this semester and with graduation creeping up, I have this lingering feeling and an itch to go back to school to pursue medicine. Before wanting to be a dentist, I always thought about being a doctor, my dad and my grandpa were both doctors, so medicine is nothing new to me.

Anyway, does anyone have any pointers on how I should approach this? I am set to graduate May 2018, then do an internship, but after that, it's up to me really. I already have a BS in biology, all prereqs done, and some shadowing. Should I work for a year, then apply to medical schools? Please help! Any tips are appreciated!

PS I graduated with a 3.6 from undergrad.
-What is your BCPM GPA?
-How are you situated for active clinical experience, nonmedical community service, leadership, research, teaching?
-How many hours of physician shadowing do you have completed?
-Why do you think your dental school application cycle was unsuccessful?