Mhc vs. Hla

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm confused about the nomenclature here,

Which one, MHC or HLA, is the gene and which one is the expressed Antigen? First Aid states that MHC's are encoded by the HLA genes. But Lange Medical Micro and my class notes say the genes for the HLA proteins are clustered in the MH complex.

But, later on all these sources go on to interchangeably refer to the proteins as either HLA or MHC class I or II.

Sorry if this is a stupid question

Members don't see this ad.

I'm confused about the nomenclature here,

Which one, MHC or HLA, is the gene and which one is the expressed Antigen? First Aid states that MHC's are encoded by the HLA genes. But Lange Medical Micro and my class notes say the genes for the HLA proteins are clustered in the MH complex.

But, later on all these sources go on to interchangeably refer to the proteins as either HLA or MHC class I or II.

Sorry if this is a stupid question

it is confusing, everyone (including faculty) use the terms interchangably

MHC is the section of the genome which codes for HLA proteins. The way I keep this straight is by knowing that MHC III codes for complement proteins and TNFs, which are not part of HLA as it's expressed on cell membranes.

MHC is the section of the genome which codes for HLA proteins. The way I keep this straight is by knowing that MHC III codes for complement proteins and TNFs, which are not part of HLA as it's expressed on cell membranes.

haha, was thinking the same.
got that from GT? :D

Members don't see this ad :)

OK, thanks!

This doesn't make sense. MHC I and II are actual proteins composed of alpha and beta subunits sitting on the surface of all nucleated (MHC I) and antigen presenting cells (MHC II). HLA-A is a gene on chromosome 6 that encodes the MHC I alpha unit of the receptor.

I think all vertebrates have an MHC gene. The human MHC gene is called HLA gene. The HLA gene encodes MHC class I, II, and III antigens on the surfaces of cells.

This doesn't make sense. MHC I and II are actual proteins composed of alpha and beta subunits sitting on the surface of all nucleated (MHC I) and antigen presenting cells (MHC II). HLA-A is a gene on chromosome 6 that encodes the MHC I alpha unit of the receptor.

I think all vertebrates have an MHC gene. The human MHC gene is called HLA gene. The HLA gene encodes MHC class I, II, and III antigens on the surfaces of cells.

again, your confusion stems from the fact that everyone uses the terms interchangeably. The one constant i have found is that the portion of the genome from which the HLA molecules come is always referred to as the MHC complex.

of course, i think it's a pretty fine point. You're right that MHC can have two meanings. "The MHC" refers to the genomic region; "MHC I" or "MHC II" can refer to the protein complex that sits on the cell membrane, they also refer to the subregions of MHC that codes for HLA proteins. HLA genes code for the alpha-subunit of MHC-I membrane proteins and both alpha and beta subunits of MHC-II, which are themselves called HLA proteins.

Human MHC class I and II are also called human leukocyte antigen (HLA). To clarify the usage, some of the biomedical literature uses HLA to refer specifically to the HLA protein molecules and reserves MHC for the region of the genome that encodes for this molecule, but this is not a consistent convention.

Has anyone got any mnemonics to remember HLA associations with disease? Or any easy ways to remember? N also for autoantibodies. I'm having a real hard time wid it

Last edited: