miami anesthesia (PP, academics, lifestyle)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markneil

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've been in PP for around 4.5 years in southern California. Love it here despite what everyone says mostly since I grew up in the same city/area where I now practice at. Anyone here in the Miami area? I have some connections in the Stuart/Tampa area but obviously they're not the same market. Looking for somewhere new, fun and exciting - private practice, academics, etc (not really locums, but rather a more established/stable group). I don't really plan on retiring at all just probably taking a month off here and there until I die. I'm single, no kids, in my early 40s and free to go anywhere. I'm also interested in NYC but haven't really explored the Miami market. Basically asking where you guys would practice if you had no kids, wife, and don't really care about money. I'm just getting bored except I don't want to do locums in some backcountry middle of America type of place. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There are two main employers in Miami: University of Miami or Envision. There are probably a couple of other groups with smaller presence. Cleveland Clinic has a facility in Weston which is in SW Broward County, nowhere near the beach or urban areas.

Envision is awful but they staff 90% of places in Broward/Miami-Dade.

Can you provide more information? What hobbies do you have? What are the main draws to the big city? Are you looking to party hard? Do you want top notch restaurants and a plethora of activities to choose from?

I myself would pick a small to medium hospital that pays well and has a decent amount of time off. I like to be outdoors so running and biking trails, close to a nice lake, within an hour of an airport, but a smaller city with minimal traffic and low crime. I don't need 5 star $100 meals but a place that still has decent food and some bar scene. I am more of a Greensville, SC (close to the beach, lakes, mountains, vibrant city with a great run/bike trail, good restaurants) type of place but I could also see myself around Nashville, TN, western North Carolina, or maybe out west in CO or Tahoe.

Keep us posted, I am interested to hear how things pan out for you.

Can you provide more information? What hobbies do you have? What are the main draws to the big city? Are you looking to party hard? Do you want top notch restaurants and a plethora of activities to choose from?

I myself would pick a small to medium hospital that pays well and has a decent amount of time off. I like to be outdoors so running and biking trails, close to a nice lake, within an hour of an airport, but a smaller city with minimal traffic and low crime. I don't need 5 star $100 meals but a place that still has decent food and some bar scene. I am more of a Greensville, SC (close to the beach, lakes, mountains, vibrant city with a great run/bike trail, good restaurants) type of place but I could also see myself around Nashville, TN, western North Carolina, or maybe out west in CO or Tahoe.

Sounds like reno for you

Reactions: 2 users
Sounds like reno for you
I would be all about sevo's job but building a home after we moved from Georgia last year. 2 young kids and a wife make my situation a little different than the OP but we can always think about retirement someday.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I would also look at Mount Sinai Medical Center. It's right on the water in Miami Beach and as far as I know it's still a private group.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are two main employers in Miami: University of Miami or Envision. There are probably a couple of other groups with smaller presence. Cleveland Clinic has a facility in Weston which is in SW Broward County, nowhere near the beach or urban areas.

Envision is awful but they staff 90% of places in Broward/Miami-Dade.

I would also look at Mount Sinai Medical Center. It's right on the water in Miami Beach and as far as I know it's still a private group.

Yeah, but why does it matter where the hospital is? Do FloridaPeople expect to have their toes in sand exactly 30 seconds after punching out?

Woulda thought it probably matters more where your apartment is even if you have to drive a bit inland for work..

Hi all, I am in the process of moving to south Florida next yr as well, mostly parkland or Boca raton area.looks like it’s all envision and few napa. I talked to them. Salary ranges from 370-400 mostly but they said they might increase the comp in the next 2-3 months and asked me to check back. Any one knows how much Cleveland clinic, weston pays?

Yeah, but why does it matter where the hospital is? Do FloridaPeople expect to have their toes in sand exactly 30 seconds after punching out?

Woulda thought it probably matters more where your apartment is even if you have to drive a bit inland for work..

The commute is kind of what I was referring to. Doesn’t matter as much at 630am but the afternoons are pretty awful across SFL.

AMCs are actually paying much better these days in florida. Most peeps make 475-525k with 10 weeks off. Working 50-55 hours these days.

Even community hospital 10 min from Atlantic Ocean further up
The coast. one AMC took over from another AMC up the pay by 50k. Just beeper call 1:8 460k/9 weeks off plus profit sharing and retirement. Matching it actually wasn’t a bad deal. No ob. No kids. So the package was worth 490-500k.

Not defending AMCs. But they have adjusted the rates. It’s not like 2013-2016 years anymore.

Both are very important because as Endee pointed out, traffic is terrible in South FL. Not saying you necessarily need to live within walking distance of the hospital but it helps to be close or go the opposite way of most traffic.

AMCs are actually paying much better these days in florida. Most peeps make 475-525k with 10 weeks off. Working 50-55 hours these days.

The coast. one AMC took over from another AMC up the pay by 50k. Just beeper call 1:8 460k/9 weeks off plus profit sharing and retirement. Matching it actually wasn’t a bad deal. No ob. No kids. So the package was worth 490-500k.

Not defending AMCs. But they have adjusted the rates. It’s not like 2013-2016 years anymore.
Wow - that's not bad at all. Tempting in fact, especially with reasonable call and good vacation. Plus no state income tax!

supervision or MD only? Supervision 1:4 or above, no thanks.

Hi all, I am in the process of moving to south Florida next yr as well, mostly parkland or Boca raton area.looks like it’s all envision and few napa. I talked to them. Salary ranges from 370-400 mostly but they said they might increase the comp in the next 2-3 months and asked me to check back. Any one knows how much Cleveland clinic, weston pays?

Let me tell you right now that they won't increase the comp

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
supervision or MD only? Supervision 1:4 or above, no thanks.
Usually 1:3. Max is 1:4. Never more. MD solo cases nights and weekends. MD solo probably 30% of the time daytime. No truma. No ob. I do some locums works there. Weekends can be brutal with MD only. So be careful what u wish for work MD only.

Thanks for all the replies. This doesn't sound bad, but as noted 1:3 and 1:4 supervision I know nothing about. I have never supervised and seems like Florida utilizes CRNAs and AAs far greater than where I am. This looks like Envision's (Kendall Anesthesia) description but I might be wrong. Compensation is similar to where I am now but the absence of taxes can be a plus.

Hobbies - maybe pick up boating/sailing, running, Latina girls, decent food and drinks, the keys, the beach. Loved it there as a med student rotating in 2009 but I know it's probably changed significantly. Ill look into those other places you've mentioned.

Hobbies - maybe pick up boating/sailing, running, Latina girls, decent food and drinks, the keys, the beach. Loved it there as a med student rotating in 2009 but I know it's probably changed significantly. Ill look into those other places you've mentioned.

That’s quite a range of hobbies. Mine are napping and screen time. ;)

Reactions: 4 users
Had a friend who worked in Tampa, don't know what hospital but it was children's hospital by Sheridan or some garbage AMC. He was working insane hours, burning out for salaried position, supervising CRNAs who don't listen to him. He couldn't get out of there fast enough once he found a decent gig elsewhere. I would love to come to Florida, but I could not stomach happen to work for these corporations and CRNA model

had a recruiter reach out to me a couple of years back because she knew i had a florida license. it was about a job in miami. she started the conversation with "i'm sorry"

the offer was no partner track and $260k/yr to start. i just told her that, if she could find anyone who wanted to live in miami that badly, knock herself out.

we're still on good terms.

Thanks for all the replies. This doesn't sound bad, but as noted 1:3 and 1:4 supervision I know nothing about. I have never supervised and seems like Florida utilizes CRNAs and AAs far greater than where I am. This looks like Envision's (Kendall Anesthesia) description but I might be wrong. Compensation is similar to where I am now but the absence of taxes can be a plus.

It’s no where near Kendall. Kendall guys can make close to 500k though.

This is not true at all. I have looked at jobs in Miami they pay 275k -300 for new grad with 4 weeks off

This is not true at all. I have looked at jobs in Miami they pay 275k -300 for new grad with 4 weeks off
Everything is negotiable even for new grads. Don’t sell yourself short. Also depends how desperate places are.

What’s board certification worth? 25k max.

Tell them they can bleed money paying locums over 600k ($300/hr) plus normal 10-20% agency (on that hourly rate) fees plus hotel/car using locums 40 hours a week with no calls and 46 weeks. Or they can hire you for 425-450k with 8 weeks working 50 hours.

It’s pretty simple math. They know it. They just count on new grads not doing the basic math like I just did for you.

Everything is negotiable even for new grads. Don’t sell yourself short. Also depends how desperate places are.

What’s board certification worth? 25k max.

Tell them they can bleed money paying locums over 600k ($300/hr) plus normal 10-20% agency (on that hourly rate) fees plus hotel/car using locums 40 hours a week with no calls and 46 weeks. Or they can hire you for 425-450k with 8 weeks working 50 hours.

It’s pretty simple math. They know it. They just count on new grads not doing the basic math like I just did for you.
Yeah plus why would/should pay be any less for a new grad unless you’re in academia…

I lived in Miami for a few years- it’s wild. I’ve grown fond of comparing it to living on a cruise ship: fun for a while, but obnoxious rather quickly. I’d recommend a smaller, quieter Florida beach town with frequent weekend trips to the hotspots. Could also consider Tampa: the job market there has historically been subpar, but it’s a nice balance of QOL and COL.

I lived in Miami for a few years- it’s wild. I’ve grown fond of comparing it to living on a cruise ship: fun for a while, but obnoxious rather quickly. I’d recommend a smaller, quieter Florida beach town with frequent weekend trips to the hotspots. Could also consider Tampa: the job market there has historically been subpar, but it’s a nice balance of QOL and COL.
I would never live in Miami. I got family down there. Good to visit. But not for me long term.

Lots of scam artists down there. You are more likely to be in auto accident with scam artist than getting sue for malpractice down there. And that’s saying something.

Unfortunately the smaller coastal towns in florida have gotten super expensive as new non floridans move in. im not even talking beach access. I’m talking 10 min from beaches. Those homes in smaller coastal towns used to be $150/sq foot. Now almost all pushing $300/sq foot way far from the beach. I’m not talking prime real estate next to beach.

Inter coastal access in smaller town will run u starting at $400/sq door at minimum these days. Buddy just got home 3000 sq door for 1.4 million inter coastal access.

Same home was 700k 3 years ago. It’s ridiculous.

The 10 min away from beach was affordable 350-400k for 2700 sq foot. Now it’s 700k plus not renovated.

You should look into the academic programs as well. IMO they pay better, relative to other state's academic salary. I think Mt Sinai may be hiring, and they're right at the beach.

Thats a dangerous and expensive hobby right there

500k for 1"4 is not bad, not great either in a state with no malpractice cap.

Thats a dangerous and expensive hobby right there

500k for 1"4 is not bad, not great either in a state with no malpractice cap.

Well when you can make 500 as a solo doc I think it's terrible. Should be making like 800 at least