Regional Anesthesia Fellowship Lifestyle (UCSF specifically)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PropofolMang

Reaction score
I am an anesthesia resident interested in going to the united states for fellowship. I was wondering if anyone has any information about the program at UCSF in terms of call, quality etc. Haven't been able to get an answer from the program. Any other programs in California or USA that anyone would recommend that are chill in terms of call to make for a good year.

I know I know, don't bother. But I need a fellowship for where I want to work.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Avoid SF. Crime. Lawlessness. Risk to your life.

Reactions: 1 user
Nearest hospital with reasonable volume nearby would be over 4 hours a way and sucks to live there. So a year somewhere fun for less pay seems worth it to live in a better city.
Where are you from that there are 4 hours between reasonable hospitals? Oz?

Where are you from that there are 4 hours between reasonable hospitals? Oz?
Let me introduce you to what is referred to as the “flyover states” by the elitists. Just look at where all of the U Hauls rented in California, New York, and Chicago are being checked back in at. Four hours might be a bit of hyperbole but there is a lot of space in this United States that is far more sparsely inhabited.

Let me introduce you to what is referred to as the “flyover states” by the elitists. Just look at where all of the U Hauls rented in California, New York, and Chicago are being checked back in at. Four hours might be a bit of hyperbole but there is a lot of space in this United States that is far more sparsely inhabited.
The dude said "going to the US". I take that to mean he or she lives outside the US? English speaking so either canada or Oz?

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t know anything about the regional fellowship but Hayes Valley is very nice. So is Forest Hill.

Yea I am from Canada. The hospital 4 hours over isn't exactly a great place to live or that large either. Really next fun spot to live is like 12hr drive - or I suppose just a short flight. Either way forgoing some income to live in a warm spot for a year and such doesn't seem the worst.

If it's ACGME, ask about moonlighting. What kind of block do you expect to do in the middle of the night? I guess if you could be holding a pager for pain. SF is doable for a year. If you don't like the feces-covered sidewalks of Michelin restaurants, you can always go to Napa, Tahoe, Carmel all within 4 hours of drive, and Hawaii is direct flight.