Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital on probation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrRobeco

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
U Miami is on probation, should it be a concern when doing ROL? I don't know how U Miami program compare with Dartmouth-Hitchcock, UT-LBJ, St Louis University and University at Buffalo. I notice that U Miami has fellowships and the other programs don't have fellowship. Does that mean Miami is a stronger program than the others? Considering the probation status, should I rank other programs higher than Miami? I appreciate your opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

Well which program did you feel like you would be most happiest at? And can you see yourself living in St. Louis? And why is Miami on probation? Is it something miniscule that can be fixed easily? I thought LBJ had MFM, I would double check that one. Anyway, good luck. I would rank in order that I would be least miserable.

Thanks, imbricatedu2rus.

I am not familiar with these programs. Without considering probation, how Miami compare with other programs? It seems that Miami, Dartmouth, LBJ have better reputation than the other two, but I am not sure. Is LBJ a university program or a community program affiliated with UT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I interviewed at LBJ and I liked it. It is a county hospital, definitely university hospital as it is affiliated with UT. Very high volume OB with about 95% Mexican population. You see really advanced OB path as patients dont tend to have prenatal care. So you will be learning Spanish. Very good faculty with big names. Oncology training is at MD Anderson which has a great reputation. Houston is also really nice but a huge city and very hot and humid in the summer.

I have lived near Buffalo and it is very cold and snows all the time. Dont know anything about the program though.

Good luck!

I wouldn't be so concerned if they'd been on probation just one year, but they've been on probation 2 years in a row. If the program director/interviewer was upfront about the issues, and they seem like things that would be resolvable in the near future, I'd rank them regardless of the probation. You could talk to your faculty advisor, who probably has more experience in this matter.

Good luck with your ROL.