Miami Miller vs. Albert Einstein both free tuition

Started by Muhhhh
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Muhhhh

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm so thankful to be in this position, but I'm really stuck. I just got off these and have to pick between Miami Miller with a full tuition scholarship or Albert Einstein by Thursday. I'm an Iowa resident, went to undergrad in St. Louis. I've said I'm primarily interested in Emergency Medicine and Psych, but I'm not married to these specialties and considering shooting for a more selective specialty like Anesthesiology and then falling back on EM or Psych, really not sure though. Recently visited my M1 friend in Miami and did a bunch of activities with his classmates and it was a blast (outdoor sports, beach, nightlife), seems like a great collaborative bunch. Albert Einstein on the other hand, I have no ties or insider perspective, and I haven't had the time to go on a tour or anything like that. I think the schools are pretty similar in prestige and curriculum so most of my considerations are lifestyle based (let me know if you think otherwise).

Miami Miller
Pros
  • Weather is magnificent, something important to me as I recharge best in the outdoors, especially with all the opportunities to do outdoor sports, beach, etc...
  • Live with close friend from college who I've previously lived with in undergrad and is currently an M1.
  • Work/life balance seems impeccable.
  • Get to put my Spanish minor to use.

Cons
  • No support system other than my close friend who's an M1. (I don't really know if I need more than that though, I went to undergrad 4 hours away from my parents and I didn't utilize that).
  • Expensive housing, 1600 monthly rent with my friend.
  • Miami culture is not my thing, extremely wealthy, superficial, influencer, obsessed with aesthetics. But I love the cuban aspect and the med school bubble may be just enough to not have to interact with those people too much.
  • I DO NOT see myself practicing in Florida at all. They do seem to match well around the country though, ideally east or west coast sounds great to me.
  • I'm single and I don't think I'll find much wifey material in Miami outside of the student population...


Albert Einstein
Pros
  • Great name recognition especially on the east coast allowing for more comfort knowing I'll match somewhere I'll want to be. It's ranking and prestige will only get higher with time due to recent free tuition for all.
  • Its NYC, perhaps the best city in the world... I've never visited or been to NYC or the East Coast but I know the culture aligns more with who I am. I know that I do well in big cities despite my absolute love for nature as I've spent my great gap year in Chicago. So much to explore and experience, but will I just get choice overload and feel lost?
  • Sister works in Philly (about 2-3 hours away by train?) and I will have a close friend who will be attending Columbia Vagelos (about hour away).
  • Subsidized housing means I'll probably be paying around 600-800 for rent!

Cons
  • Not actually directly in NYC, hour commute to Manhattan. The immediate location in the Bronx seems pretty isolated, not much to do, do kids either hang out on campus or do the 40 minute commute to the rest of New York City? That kind of seemed like the vibe I was getting.
  • I don't have a real idea of what student happiness is like at Einstein or what the typical work/life balance is there, as opposed to knowing that everyone's having a blast at Miami.
  • I've heard some things about how infrastructure is kind of old and rundown?
  • Opportunities to play sports will all be indoors at the rec, as someone who loves getting active outside, this is maybe one of my biggest cons. I have a bike, not sure if that would be a feasible thing to do from the Bronx.
Please let me know if you have any insight, whether it's differences I've missed or just what your take is! I feel like I'm 50-50 and truly can't decide. It kind of boils down to I know I'll have fun and time to recharge in Miami but I could probably also have lots of fun at Einstein and it's probably the safer career choice to make considering where I'd like to match. I can't decide if the extra 12k a year for rent in Miami is something that should even tip my decision, I don't have much savings and will definitely be taking out loans to finance my cost of attendance.
 
I just realized I misread the email and have to make a decision by tomorrow so more urgent than I previously thought!
 
congrats on acceptances! sorry i'm replying too late to be helpful, but i would choose miami! weather makes such a difference in quality of life, i grew up and went to college in upstate new york and the gray and cold was miserable. curious where you ended up choosing?