Miami Pathology Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bauber

Pathology yo
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where do these programs (UMiami/Jackson and Mt. Sinai) rank among others? Are they considered mid tier? Can anyone comment on what they are like compared to some other places? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like to know, too. Can anyone comment?

Don't take it personally, guys/gals when people don't respond to threads like these. We're a relatively small n, and just may not have knowledge about specific programs people ask about. I did go to med school in Florida; I don't recall hearing anything good or bad about either of the Miami area programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whichever program is closest to south beach, that's the one you should go to. I went to that winter music conference, and ultra music festival, during residency and was blown away so much that I considered doing fellowship down there just to have a chance to live in south beach for a year.

In general that's how you should pick programs. You should get in the biggest program that's near where you'd enjoy living. It is a pretty simple plan.

Understood about the small n. I think location can make an average program better, but a good location and crappy program may not be worth it. So thanks for the replies, if anyone knows any red flag/bad things chime in, otherwise I guess I'll just have to find out when/if I interview there.

Understood about the small n. I think location can make an average program better, but a good location and crappy program may not be worth it. So thanks for the replies, if anyone knows any red flag/bad things chime in, otherwise I guess I'll just have to find out when/if I interview there.

I interviewed at University of Miami last year and can tell you about the experience.

The location is suboptimal, the hospital is located in one of the more undesirable neighborhoods of Miami. On the other hand, you can easily commute from other towns.

They are one of the few programs that took the candidates out on a dinner the night before the interview. The residents there seemed to be relaxed, fun bunch of group -- many either of Hispanic or Asian heritage. I think I would have enjoyed working with them.

Also, they recently switched to subspecialty sign out, rather than general. So you have to decide if that's what you would prefer.

Some of the attendings that I interviewed with were odd. I don't know if I would feel comfortable knocking on their doors for consults/advice/etc.

It's not much but that's all I remember. Hope this helps!

I grew up in Florida (not Miami area though), but from what I heard, there is no such thing as an easy commute in the south Florida metroplex. Maybe it's gotten better since I left, but it was often very heavy traffic when I visited family down there. Plus, a fair number of foll roads that are hard to avoid.

I interviewed at University of Miami last year and can tell you about the experience.

The location is suboptimal, the hospital is located in one of the more undesirable neighborhoods of Miami. On the other hand, you can easily commute from other towns.

They are one of the few programs that took the candidates out on a dinner the night before the interview. The residents there seemed to be relaxed, fun bunch of group -- many either of Hispanic or Asian heritage. I think I would have enjoyed working with them.

Also, they recently switched to subspecialty sign out, rather than general. So you have to decide if that's what you would prefer.

Some of the attendings that I interviewed with were odd. I don't know if I would feel comfortable knocking on their doors for consults/advice/etc.

It's not much but that's all I remember. Hope this helps!