Miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redskinfan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am contemplating an away. What does anybody know about this program? Did they recently get a new chair?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

putting it another way round, what makes you interested in that program/?

I would like to know more about the program because my wife is from Miami and her family still lives in the area.

Members don't see this ad :)
... Which is an excellent reason to apply to the (only) South Florida program. Location was my number one factor.

The people seemed very nice, moderately busy clinic, have a county hospital where you'll see a whole lot. Obviously, heavily Latin American and I presume being interested in the culture/speaking Spanish would be a bonus. I guess they have a new hotshot chairman. Although this is in disagreement with others, I just don't see how important that is when you are just there for four years. Maybe it will make a difference in your career or maybe you'll see him in the hallway once, who knows? They interview a lot of people for their spots (when I did, it was like 20 for 1). And, they send a flimsy little letter that looks like a rejection, so don't throw it out (almost did).

I think it would be great to live in SoFla, and as I've said before, all the programs are pretty good. There's a few that stand out, but in the end, it's up to you to become a good doc (reading, taking an active role in patient care, etc.)

Rotate through ... I'm sure it's a strong enough clinically.
-S

Although USoFla is in Tampa, it's not really "South Florida". South Florida refers to the tricounty - Miami-Dade/Broward/Palm Beach ...

Tampa is Tampa-St Petes-Clearwater ... Geographically, more like "West Florida" but I don't think anyone refers to that.

S

Tampa is 4 hours from Miami and a very different locale

OK, OK... That's quite a quibble, but fine...

Besides, Moffitt and USoFL have dissolved their official partnership....

Is Miami one of those programs where you pretty much have to rotate through to get an interview?

Is Miami one of those programs where you pretty much have to rotate through to get an interview?

No, quite the opposite. I am from the midwest, I rotated in the midwest, and nearly all my interviews were in the midwest, then out of the blue Miami.

And 20 to 1 isn't that bad compared to some of the other places this year e.g. Mayo Jax (40 to 1).

I would like to know more about the program because my wife is from Miami and her family still lives in the area.

it makes it easier for folks to answer this question knowing what the issues are, and that's one of the most common.

The Miami situation is as follows:

There are 2 centers, 1) a private hospital which is probably very similar to most programs throughout the country. 2) The county hospital which with the acquistion of Cedars is the largest hospital complex in the world. I guarantee we see the most extreme pathology in the solar system. Dr. Pollack, our new chair has restructured the program, adding resident and attending lecture modules. Currently there is a 7:5 attending:resident ratio (7 attendings, five residents). However, we are in the process of expanding. We will be getting a proton facility in 3 years, funding is locked. The workload is fair and we see everything. Research opportunities are abundant.
Miami is the greatest city in the world.
Come rotate with us and find out.

The Miami situation is as follows:

There are 2 centers, 1) a private hospital which is probably very similar to most programs throughout the country. 2) The county hospital which with the acquistion of Cedars is the largest hospital complex in the world. I guarantee we see the most extreme pathology in the solar system. Dr. Pollack, our new chair has restructured the program, adding resident and attending lecture modules. Currently there is a 7:5 attending:resident ratio (7 attendings, five residents). However, we are in the process of expanding. We will be getting a proton facility in 3 years, funding is locked. The workload is fair and we see everything. Research opportunities are abundant.
Miami is the greatest city in the world.
Come rotate with us and find out.

Thanks for the input.
Based on your experience, how important would you say it is to do a rotation in order to get an invite at the Miami program?

Your question is not a simple one and it would depend on the particular year, applicant pool etc. In general we have taken people that have spent time in the department. But of course that's not always the case and the residency program seems to be expanding rapidly. If it was me, I would rotate.

What is the typical day like, including hours, for residents and students?

OK, OK... That's quite a quibble, but fine...

Besides, Moffitt and USoFL have dissolved their official partnership....

While this isn't the point of this thread, I thought I'd point out that the partnership isn't completely dissolved. USF residents (such as myself) still rotate through Moffitt...