Mich. St. Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buck Wild

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone get an email from them recently?

Let me get this straight: They want us to pay an application fee to review our amcas app. before sending us a secondary. My fault, if they decide to send us a secondary. Isn't that what the amcas fee was for?

I knew this process was about the money, but come on!

Members don't see this ad.

just curious, when did you hear from msu? i haven't been asked for money yet, hehe.

I heard from MSU on Sunday. The AMCAS fee was for AMCAS to process your app, I thought. At least MSU is upfront about it - they say give us money and then we'll see if you rate a secondary rather than "Let's send EVERYONE a secondary when we're not gonna look at 'em anyway".

And BTW, you have TWO WEEKS to pay them before you're in the "not interested in us" round file for the year. And if you're going to take the August MCAT, you still have to pay within two weeks, but they won't look at ya until they get your August scores anyway. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got it. That really sucks. But I guess I'll suck it up and pay it. What's another $60 in the grand scheme of medical school applications anyway?

Scandal said:
I just got it. That really sucks. But I guess I'll suck it up and pay it. What's another $60 in the grand scheme of medical school applications anyway?

It's 1/2000th of what a lot of people will end up paying in tuition. No ever said med school (or applying to them) was cheap.

I got this e-mail, too ... fine by me, as long as I get a secondary. ;)

Right - not cheap. Above all, this is a business, lest we forget that fact. The all mighty dollar will fuel our future medical testing and treatments, so it may be better that we're getting used to it now.

I do agree that the MSU thing is a bit tacky, but at least they're up front about it.

dc

I got that email too. I would rather get a request after passing an initial screening, but I agree that at least MSU is honest about scamming some bucks out of you. Medical schools must get a lot of income from applications. I like it when schools just ask for secondary info-or give you a rejection letter right out if they are not interested in you- rather than drag your hopes along for the sake of getting money.

So, I guess we should be getting secondaries soon. Last year my application to MSU was put on hold forever-I hope they don't do that again- I applied right in June this time.
:cool:

Is anyone having problems submitting their payment online, or is it just me?

The one time I want someone to take my money, they don't. Go figure!

Gee, they took my credit card RIGHT away... before my screen had refreshed I had a receipt in my mailbox. :laugh:

yeah MSU does that but they are very fast!!
I retook MCAT last aug, got that email in early sep, sent them the $$, when scores came out in Oct, I got a secondary email end of Oct, i sent that back within a day, got an interview invite within 2.5weeks, scheduled that for early dec, found out i was accepted within a week!

Many schls can keep u in limbo for months!!!
Go MSU!!! :D orientation in 13days :(

Buck Wild said:
Did anyone get an email from them recently?

Let me get this straight: They want us to pay an application fee to review our amcas app. before sending us a secondary. My fault, if they decide to send us a secondary. Isn't that what the amcas fee was for?

I knew this process was about the money, but come on!
other schools do this too like Mayo. Yeah it sucks, but hey I got nothing but love for them. They accepted me back in October and I was pretty much stress free for the rest of the application cycle unlike everyone else who had to wait till the spring/summer time to find out.

MSU is a great environment to study medicine, and the support you will find there is truly amazing.

anyone having trouble submitting fee online. i think they've been down for the last three days or so

derf said:
anyone having trouble submitting fee online. i think they've been down for the last three days or so
i remember just sending them a check. I'm sure that will be ok for them this year too if it continues to give you problems.

Buck Wild said:
Is anyone having problems submitting their payment online, or is it just me?

The one time I want someone to take my money, they don't. Go figure!
Yes, I tried for hours on Thursday and it wouldn't go through-tried again on Friday and it worked.