Michigan Dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMD2BE1122

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is Michigan the best dental school in the country? On there website it says there #1. What do you guys think? I think it would be Harvard but I guess Michigan is the new Harvard.

Michigan Dental Class of 2011

Members don't see this ad.

Is Michigan the best dental school in the country? On there website it says there #1. What do you guys think? I think it would be Harvard but I guess Michigan is the new Harvard.

lol no.... it's up there but def not number one. I'd say there are a few above it. If ur looking at NIH funding tho, they might be at the top right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol no.... it's up there but def not number one. I'd say there are a few above it. If ur looking at NIH funding tho, they might be at the top right now.

"School of Dentistry #1 in Research Grants" according to their main webpage

On there website it says there #1.

It's "their"

And a dental education is what you make of it. Every program has its pros and cons. You need to find a program that fits what you want to do (clinical, specializing, research, etc.) If you are thinking of going to school "X" because of the name they boast, then you have a lot to learn my friend.

It's "their"

And a dental education is what you make of it. Every program has its pros and cons. You need to find a program that fits what you want to do (clinical, specializing, research, etc.) If you are thinking of going to school "X" because of the name they boast, then you have a lot to learn my friend.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Don't laugh at him. There were two mistakes in the section Purdue quoted. He caught one, but not the other.

Those r sweet mistakes...it all sounds the same anyways ;)

they're/their/there typos on sdn, no one cares

According to me, NIH funding rank doesn't mean crap about the quality of dental education you will get at a school.

Members don't see this ad :)
......great, then we all agree......... that is rare. :)

Yes, as was stated the #1 rank is in NIH grants. Michigan dental has consistently been in the top 3 or 4 for the past several years for research funding. What that means is that they have top quality scientists. ALSO, if you look at the faculty there, alot of the researchers are DDS/PhDs. The head of the perio dept is a DDS/PhD who studies hormonal control of bone regeneration. The head of the pediatrics department works on tooth regeneration. So it's still a good school.

HOWEVER, when you're picking a dental school, you need to pick what's best for you as an individual. That's going to vary from person to person. See what place makes you happy. THAT'S what's most important here.

sorry to burst you little bubble, but no, they aren't the #1 dental school. Just because they get the most money for research doesn't mean they are a good dental school, it just means you'll have lots of research opportunities. It especially doesn't mean you will have any better clinical skills than the rest. In fact I would be willing to bet any student coming out of UDM could drill circles around UM students. But, UDM students might not have as much research experience....its all in what you care about.

sorry to burst you little bubble, but no, they aren't the #1 dental school. Just because they get the most money for research doesn't mean they are a good dental school, it just means you'll have lots of research opportunities. It especially doesn't mean you will have any better clinical skills than the rest. In fact I would be willing to bet any student coming out of UDM could drill circles around UM students. But, UDM students might not have as much research experience....its all in what you care about.
Eh, you might be right... I just remember being told at my UDM interview "we're not Michigan".

I think anywhere you go you can get a great education! It's all what you put in and get out of it. Some people will just do there four years at a school with reputation without really learning anything. Just because they graduated from that school doesn't mean they are the going to be a great dentist. Like I said before it's what you put in.

I think anywhere you go you can get a great education! It's all what you put in and get out of it. Some people will just do there four years at a school with reputation without really learning anything. Just because they graduated from that school doesn't mean they are the going to be a great dentist. Like I said before it's what you put in.

Completely agree. Alot of it is what you make of it. In the end we're all coming out as dentists.

Eh, you might be right... I just remember being told at my UDM interview "we're not Michigan".

They sure aren't! UDM is very proud that they offer hands down a better clinical opportunity being in the heart of Detroit, and thats what they mean by that.

Completely agree. Alot of it is what you make of it. In the end we're all coming out as dentists.

I also completely agree with Tissy....I get really aggravated with people that think their schools is better than others, because in the end we're all going to have a DDS or a DMD and be dentists, but we choose the one that fits us the best and what we want to be prepared for. I think we should all be prideful of our school, but I don't think its necessary to say...well my school is #1....blah blah blah.

because in the end we're all going to have a DDS or a DMD and be dentists

Except the DMD's will be doctors, too.

(Come on - someone take the bait!)

UDM running around circles Michigan? Hilarious

I also completely agree with Tissy....I get really aggravated with people that think their schools is better than others, because in the end we're all going to have a DDS or a DMD and be dentists, but we choose the one that fits us the best and what we want to be prepared for. I think we should all be prideful of our school, but I don't think its necessary to say...well my school is #1....blah blah blah.

It might also be helpful to notice that at your interviews, how often did schools outright bash other ones? In my interview cycle there were sometimes "hints" as to why one school is stronger in an area than another one, but never did anyone outright mouth off about other schools. Remember you're talking about potential colleagues. The last thing you want is to piss off someone you might have to depend on later.

I would just like to call attention to the probationary status of the OP due to numerous threads started to troll and otherwise cause arguments throughout SDN.

I doubt this person has been accepted to professional school of any type MD/DO, DDS/DMD or anything of the sort.

Dont let this poster cause a rift.

:thumbup:

wow if i'm gonna have this tool in my class at umich maybe i'll reconsider :rolleyes:

why must people ask the same question all the time....who is number one? there is a reason why they got rid of rankings...just because you go to a no name school like UDM...doesnt mean ur any less of a dentist...and just because one goes to a school with a great name like michigan doesnt make u a better dentist...

HA HA! I thought you were applying to Medical School loser. Good luck with the whole dental backup plan....

THIS USER/OP IS A TROLL. THEREFORE NONE OF YOU SHOULD TAKE ANYTHING THAT HE OR SHE SAYS SERIOUSLY. SDN DOES NOT TOLERATE THE BASHING OF OTHER HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONS, ESPECIALLY WHEN SUCH ACCUSATIONS ARE COMPLETELY FALSE…. THIS USER SHOULD BE BANNED IMMEDIATELY.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=368709

why must people ask the same question all the time....who is number one? there is a reason why they got rid of rankings...just because you go to a no name school like UDM...doesnt mean ur any less of a dentist...and just because one goes to a school with a great name like michigan doesnt make u a better dentist...

:laugh: