Michigan In-state w/ ASR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n618ft

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seeing if I should fill out my MSU secondary... 60k a year is too steep to do out of state and was wondering if Michigan considers students in the ARNG ASR program as in-state for tuition.

http://www.reg.msu.edu/ROInfo/notices/residency.asp

Scroll to 3E... seems to be for active duty or mobilized guard? But aren't you "active" in ASR?

Members don't see this ad.

msu isnt 60k a year...are you talking about U of M?

GO BLUE!

msu isnt 60k a year...are you talking about U of M?

GO BLUE!

Q: What is the tuition at the College of Human Medicine?

A: For the 2008 entering class, tuition for Michigan residents is approximately $30,500 per year. Out-of-state tuition is approximately $65,700 per year. Tuition at MSU is subject to change by the MSU Board of Trustees.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, for starters from http://www.reg.msu.edu/ROInfo/notices/residency.asp

1. PRESUMPTIONS OF IN-STATE CLASSIFICATION
    A student will be presumed eligible for in-state classification in the following circumstances:
    1. If a student, the spouse of a student, or the parent of a dependent student, is an active member of the regular armed forces who maintains Michigan as his/her official home of record, is registered to vote in Michigan and files a Michigan income tax return as a resident, the student shall be classified as in-state.
    2. If a student, or the parent of a dependent student, is domiciled in Michigan but has been temporarily transferred outside Michigan by his/her employer (but has not become domiciled outside Michigan), the student shall be classified as in-state.
    3. If a student, or the parent of a dependent student, is a missionary funded by a Michigan church, and the student or parent was
      domiciled in Michigan at the time he/she went on the mission, the student shall be classified as in-state.
    4. If the parent of a dependent student, or an independent student (as defined by The Higher Education Act of 1965, section 480(d)), has been employed as a migrant worker in Michigan for a minimum of two (2) months each year for three (3) of the five (5) years prior to the date of the proposed in-state classification or for a minimum of three (3) months each year for two (2) of the five (5) years prior to the date of the proposed in-state classification, the student shall be classified as in-state. Proof and verification of employment is required. A migrant worker in Michigan is defined under these Regulations as an individual who travels from location to location pursuing seasonal agricultural or related industry employment. The term migrant worker does not include any family member of a person who owns or operates a farm, ranch, or other agricultural (or related industry) business.
    5. A student, the spouse of a student, or the parent of a dependent student who, is a veteran of at least 12 consecutive months of active United States military service prior to honorable separation, or as a member of the Reserve or National Guard, was mobilized for at least 12 months of active military service, and who moves to Michigan with the intent to become a domiciliary of Michigan within 90 days following discharge or return to non-active duty, shall be classified as in-state.
    6. A member of the armed forces in active or reserve duty status attending Michigan State University in a degree program funded by the Department of Defense shall be classified as an in-state student, as will his or her spouse and his or her dependent children. If the service member leaves the state of Michigan, this in-state status will continue for the service member, spouse, and dependent children as long as those who are students conform to the continuous enrollment rule in Section 6.A below.
    7. A student who is a veteran of Peace Corps service who moves to Michigan within 90 days following satisfactory completion of
      his/her Peace Corps contract with the intent to become a domiciliary of Michigan will be classified as in-state.
    8. A person who physically resides in Michigan for 12 consecutive months without enrolling in any academic courses at any two-year or four-year degree granting institution may matriculate as an in-state student immediately thereafter.
I don't think the ARNG program would be so generous if they couldn't pull in-state tuition rates. I mean, look at the GI bill for example... I may be mistaken, but I haven't seen any mention of coverage for "out-of-state tuition". I imagine the DoD has got a bit of pull in negotiating tuition to support their programs; I also don't think the DoD would allow for your own choice of school when they could just clamp you down and send you to USUHS.

And from EMH's thread:
You join as a medical student and go in as a 2LT (O-1). You then get an ASR control # and get orders for Active Duty for Special Work (ADSW). Your orders are to do well in med school and to be a recruiter for the ARNG. You are at this point an active duty soldier. You have all the benefits and pay as a full time army 2LT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be very careful. This quote is for Michigan State University. Things like tuition, policies and residency can be very different for a university's medical school.

It may very well be the same policy, but the OP would be strongly encouraged to contact MSU's school of Medicine Registrar and get the info directly.

Those are the policies linked from the FAQ from their med school web site. But I agree, no better place for answers than from the source itself.