Can you swap state National Guard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

treyc

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I begin medical school in July and will be commissioning into the National Guard (MDSSP) in the coming months. My unit and school are only 2 hours apart, but I am worried about residency. If I get into a residency program several states away from my unit location, will I be able to swap states and and serve at a more convenient location?

Thanks
 
Hello,

I begin medical school in July and will be commissioning into the National Guard (MDSSP) in the coming months. My unit and school are only 2 hours apart, but I am worried about residency. If I get into a residency program several states away from my unit location, will I be able to swap states and and serve at a more convenient location?

Thanks

Yes. Usually just requires your current commander releasing you from your current unit and the gaining commander agreeing to take you and it rolls up through the I think the 1 star or 2 star in command of the state you are in who gives it his/her blessing and you transfer.