SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

michigan or vandy?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bobbathehut, Mar 2, 2007.

1. bobbathehut

bobbathehut

Mar 2, 2007
    Hi - my first post,

Is anyone making the same decision -- or does anyone have strong feelings either way? I was thinking:

-both cost about the same (i'm out of state), are far enough away that i'd have to fly back to the east coast to visit my family, and are in what seem like pretty fun cities

-michigan is p/f for the first two years, vandy only for the first year (then it's honors/p/f) -- big plus for michigan

-michigan has weekly tests -- big minus for michigan

-seems like the word about vandy is that the students are really happy

-vandy's a lot sunnier and not freezing cold

-michigan has about 50% MI residents - not so much geographic diversity

-seems like michigan has a slightly better reputation - though both will help with residency placements

i'm tending toward michigan. i was ecstatic when i got the acceptance email from them, but that might've been because it was because it was my first acceptance, and because their '24' ripoff was hilarious.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. cal_girl

cal_girl Member 2+ Year Member

Apr 27, 2006
    I would go for Vandy.. for the namesake and other things..

4. jeffsleepy

jeffsleepy Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 27, 2002
    The pre-secondary interview invite schools, nice.

-michigan is p/f for the first two years, vandy only for the first year (then it's honors/p/f) -- big plus for michigan

This is huge. Pass/fail is awesome.

-michigan has weekly tests -- big minus for michigan

I personally don't mind it. If you keep up during the week, it's easy to take your quiz on Friday and get the rest of the weekend off. It keeps me on track anyhow, which is important because lectures aren't mandatory and I like to procrastinate.

-seems like the word about vandy is that the students are really happy

Awesome. I'm pretty sure Michigan has a reputation for being a "happy school" as well. To be honest, any med school with P/F where you don't have to go to class more than twice a week should be a good experience.

-vandy's a lot sunnier and not freezing cold

Yeah, the weather here sucks.

-michigan has about 50% MI residents - not so much geographic diversity

I can see that, though it wasn't a factor for me at all.

-seems like michigan has a slightly better reputation - though both will help with residency placements

Sounds about right.

The biggest thing to consider is the curriculum. Michigan is systems-based with a lot of lectures and very minimal PBL. The vast majority of lectures are optional, and by now 2/3 of the class just watches them online. I ended up not going to my Vandy interview so I'm not sure exactly what they do, but I think they're switching from discipline-based to systems-based next year. As an M1, I don't know much about the clinical years, but I've only heard good things about the program here.

5. MadHopsMD

MadHopsMD 10+ Year Member

Apr 22, 2006
    North
    U Michigan: Sanjay Gupta, MD - Current CNN-Medical News Reporter
    Vandy: Bill Frist, MD - Former US Senator and Majority Leader

Will this influence your decision. um.........

6. jeffsleepy

jeffsleepy Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 27, 2002
    I think that awesomeness should be enough to persuade anybody.

7. Bananas

Bananas

Mar 1, 2007
    I think Frist went to Harvard. He was later a professor at Vanderbilt.

He got into trouble a few years ago because of some more than questional research practices at Harvard. He was doing research on some kind of animal (cats? dogs? rabbits?) and ran out of animals. He went to pet stores under the pretense of adoption and then used the animals as test subjects. What a jackass. Perfect ethics for congress, though.

8. MadHopsMD

Apr 22, 2006
    North
    oh damn you are right!

9. MadHopsMD

Apr 22, 2006
    North
    U Michigan:
    Sanjay Gupta, MD - Current CNN-Medical News Reporter
    Jack Kevorkian, MD - Current Prison Inmate

Vandy: ????

Looks like UMich is winning....even with Dr. Kevorkian on the list. lol

10. dimebag darrell

dimebag darrell Member 5+ Year Member

Oct 30, 2005
    U Michigan:
    Sanjay Gupta, MD - Current CNN-Medical News Reporter
    Jack Kevorkian, MD - Current Prison Inmate
    H. H. Holmes, MD - America's first serial killer
    Vandy: ????

11. EBI831

EBI831 legend in the making 7+ Year Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Chi-town royalty
    i felt bad for vandy what with all the criminals michigan had i felt it was an unfair advantage so i thought i'd add another violent man: a heartbreaker, ladykiller. i'm certain this will sway your decision hahhaa

12. weathertalk

weathertalk 5+ Year Member

Nov 28, 2006
  13. Stolenspatulas

Stolenspatulas 2+ Year Member

Sep 5, 2006
    I'd go to Vandy.

14. bretticus

bretticus Neuroradiology fellow 10+ Year Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Missouri
    Vandy, but I'm biased. I mean I would go here for the weather alone! I don't think the reputation is that much of a difference; both are great schools and have excellent residency placements.

15. Big XII Fanatic

Big XII Fanatic 2+ Year Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Michigan.

Much better reputation (ranked 4th in the nation by residency program directors).

The weekly quiz is a benefit, not a disadvantage. You can take it anytime you want, and it's pretty low key.

Better sports.

16. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Guest

Feb 23, 2007
    Michigan.

I thought that David Satcher was a Michigan alum, but I checked, and he was Case Western. One of the early 90's surgeon generals did a residency at Michigan.

17. bobbathehut

bobbathehut

Mar 2, 2007
    thanks for your replies. it'll be a hard decision, but one that i'm happy to have to make. i'll go to both second looks and hopefully feel like one or the other is a great fit.

18. morriske

morriske This is my fur child 2+ Year Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Michigan!!! Go blue! I'm not biased or anything :rolleyes:

Isn't MI considered a better school? I've always thought it was a top 10/15 MD program. Lucy Liu is an alum of U of M undergrad :laugh:

Also if you base your decision on second look weekends you'll end up choosing Vandy solely based on the weather. It still snows in MI in March/April.