Michigan or Western?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Livineasi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't decide. I'm from California and plan on working in California. But Michigan is already up and running.

any of your opinions would greatly be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't decide. I'm from California and plan on working in California. But Michigan is already up and running.

any of your opinions would greatly be appreciated.

I say Michigan. I am a Cali resident who plans on working here and have been accepted to Marquette and Western. I will be going to Marquette. All of the dentists I have work with tell me I should only go to Western if it's my only option. They told me they will not trust that school until it graduates its first class. I personally wouldn't like being the first class, too many kinks to work out. I want to be part of an established program, I'm sure there will be many changes/adjustments that will be made to Western's projected curriculum.

You cant give advice like "every dentist I've worked with tells me to go to western as my last option because so many have different opinions. I am from California and every dentist I have worked with says to go to Western because you have the once in a lifetime chance to be the first class and the patient base will be enormous as its located in a very run down area with no clinic at the moment. Its something you have to decide for yourself and figure out where you will be happier. I think the education you get is what you put into it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, looks like big question would be: Can you handle the weather in Ann Arbor vs. Do you mind being in the first class?

Even though Western is like in ur backyard, I would still take Michigan...Much much better school. Usually the ones that are planning on goin to western make it more of a last resort. if u have an opportunity to go to mich i would take it...its risky since western isnt accredited either...regardless congrats:)

Even though Western is like in ur backyard, I would still take Michigan...Much much better school. Usually the ones that are planning on goin to western make it more of a last resort. if u have an opportunity to go to mich i would take it...its risky since western isnt accredited either...regardless congrats:)

You have to know your facts before you report something though. Western has already been given initial accreditation as of October. If a school is given this, once you graduate you are allowed to practice in the states whether or not it becomes accredited. Also, after initial accreditation it is VERY LIKELY that it will be given accreditation. It would have to screw up big time to not. So there is no risk at all in going to Western :)

onetimeplease I thought for sure you were going to go after DentalRocks09 for this statement

"Usually the ones that are planning on goin to western make it more of a last resort."

Ha, but I guess you thought the accreditation was more of an issue.

Haha, people can say what they want if its a last resort or whatever. I just really liked it when I was there.

Actually - Western won't get initial accreditation until the end of January. In October they just had their site visit. So everything is still a bit up in the air.

You cant give advice like "every dentist I've worked with tells me to go to western as my last option because so many have different opinions. I am from California and every dentist I have worked with says to go to Western because you have the once in a lifetime chance to be the first class and the patient base will be enormous as its located in a very run down area with no clinic at the moment. Its something you have to decide for yourself and figure out where you will be happier. I think the education you get is what you put into it.

Yes I can... it's the truth. How could you possibly know how great the school is going to be anyway, by going to Western you are kinda just throwing dice. It could turn out to be the worse or best school in the nation, do you want to take the chance that it will be the worse?? This is why Western is a last resort school for many people. As far as your comments about the accreditation, that's just what you heard at the interview and you didn't really understand correctly. In January they will get initial accreditation, if they don't then they will not have their first class. They will just refund your $1000, but if you withdraw from other schools you are kinda $hit of luck...

In January they will get initial accreditation, if they don't then they will not have their first class. They will just refund your $1000, but if you withdraw from other schools you are kinda $hit of luck...

where did you get this info from?

I spoke with CODA, and they said after they meet in January there will be two possible outcomes. First, the school gets initial accreditation. The second possible outcome would be initial accreditation with improvements (something like that) in which the school would be told what they need to fix. Either way, the school gets accredited, since they submitted the paper work etc ....

But please let me know where you got your info from.

By the way, Dr. Koelbl, the dean of the college of dentistry at western u, is currently the vice-chair of the commission on dental accreditation (CODA), and was recently named to be the chair of CODA starting at the end of fall 2008.

http://wsprod.westernu.edu/news/nr_detail.jsp?id=5742&groupname=AllNews

where did you get this info from?

I spoke with CODA, and they said after they meet in January there will be two possible outcomes. First, the school gets initial accreditation. The second possible outcome would be initial accreditation with improvements (something like that) in which the school would be told what they need to fix. Either way, the school gets accredited, since they submitted the paper work etc ....

But please let me know where you got your info from.

By the way, Dr. Koelbl, the dean of the college of dentistry at western u, is currently the vice-chair of the commission on dental accreditation (CODA), and was recently named to be the chair of CODA starting at the end of fall 2008.

http://wsprod.westernu.edu/news/nr_detail.jsp?id=5742&groupname=AllNews

I got this Dr. Trombly (I think that's his name) during my interview, it was one of the questions I asked. I should also add that he said it would be very unlikely that they do not get accredited, personally I'd rather not take the chance. Oh yeah and Marquette IMO is better...

thanks for your opinions! I'd love some more. It's hard to pick!

Members don't see this ad :)
future dentist just doesn't get it...they already came to the school and visited...they are getting accredited...just a matter of time...

I got this Dr. Trombly (I think that's his name) during my interview, it was one of the questions I asked. I should also add that he said it would be very unlikely that they do not get accredited, personally I'd rather not take the chance. Oh yeah and Marquette IMO is better...

Who said anything about Marquette? :confused:

future dentist just doesn't get it...they already came to the school and visited...they are getting accredited...just a matter of time...

Yes I get it... there is a very slim chance it wont get accredited. Even so that is not my main reason for not attending Western... onetimeplease just doesn't get it... Western is a last resort school for like 75% of people, tell me you wouldn't rather go to UCLA...:rolleyes:

Who said anything about Marquette? :confused:

I had a choice between Western and Marquette...

Yes I get it... there is a very slim chance it wont get accredited. Even so that is not my main reason for not attending Western... onetimeplease just doesn't get it... Western is a last resort school for like 75% of people, tell me you wouldn't rather go to UCLA...:rolleyes:

You clearly clearly don't get it. I never said I wouldn't picky UCLA over western...of course I would. That does not mean its a last resort. But i guess you were cool and only applied to 2 schools? My bad!

umm...while this silly banter between the two of you is entertaining. It isn't really helping me make a decision.

If your family lived in California and you were planning on going to dental school with your significant other and planned on getting married and starting a family during the next four years. Where would you go?

If your family lived in California and you were planning on going to dental school with your significant other and planned on getting married and starting a family during the next four years. Where would you go?

Western

If that was the situation, than I'd choose Western. So it's probably the best choice for you.

(but it's not for me, and personally I would choose Michigan.)

Expecting to start a family I would suggest going near family, they may not be right next door but when a little extra help is needed extended family will be nearby. Western/Pomona is a nice area to start a family. Congratulations on your Acceptances, my opinion is Western

You clearly clearly don't get it. I never said I wouldn't picky UCLA over western...of course I would. That does not mean its a last resort. But i guess you were cool and only applied to 2 schools? My bad!

:laugh: Man what is wrong with you. Look when I said "I get it" we were talking the status of accreditation. There is a very slim chance that it won't get accredited, do you agree with that?? If you do... I get it. And didn't I say "last resort for like 75% of people"... so you must be that other 25%. Yes I applied to 34 schools, I like everyone else just wanted to get in somewhere. I have a 3.0, I had to do what I had to do and I don't really care what anyone thinks about that because I'm in... Now that I got my acceptances I can be picky...

umm...while this silly banter between the two of you is entertaining. It isn't really helping me make a decision.

I'm bored waiting for D-school to start... this is entertaining for me too :thumbup:

With all the new information you added I will have to say go to Western U.

Depends on where your significant other is going to dental school. :) if he's staying in CA then stay in CA n go to Western, if not then go to Michigan. :) get out of Cali for awhile and enjoy different parts of the US. If you plan on starting a family During your four years then go with Western, but u kno u can always wait til after the 4 years to get married... ;) a whole bunch of my cousins did that.

My boyfriend is not attending Dental School he will be taking pre-reqs to try and get into nursing school. And I'm 32 -- so I'd like to have my first child before my eggs get too old...unfortunately, that time falls within my 4 years at D-school.

There are a crap load of nursing programs in southern California near western, so that would work to your advantage. The housing/apartments near Western are really cheap as well. Pomona gets a lot of bad press for its area but honestly it is much better than most of the areas in NYC.

Western's program sounds promising but I personally don't want to take classes with the DO students. If you think about it, a class size of 80 DMD students and 200 DO students creates a class room size of 280 which is bigger than the class size at NYU (although most DO students didnt go to the lecture I sat in on). Western's clinic is going to be 100% off campus while NYu's is factory like. I'm actually thinking Western's program might not be as great as it sounds simply because they are really aiming high and talking so big about their "humanism" approach to dentistry. I'm not sold on that as your experience working in off site clinics will be with private practioners that might not have the same view point. Aiming high and not achieving goals will make you mad and give bad rep for the school. Why not just aim low and overacheive? The bottom line is, you'll get your DMD or DDS degree at either school but the main point is thinking ahead for your future family and what your goals are.

Western's clinic is going to be 100% off campus while NYu's is factory like. .

huh?

Western will have the Patient Care Center (PCC) which will have 68 chairs. Each student will have their own chair AT the school. Students will also have to do 100 days outside of the PCC, in such places like clinics and private practices, which will be a great learning experience.

Thanks for info and opinion Hamburger. But I'm trying to choose between Michigan and Western. Not NYU.

wow I have to make this hard choice too between western and michigan! I'm a cali resident too and western is just so close and you get to enjoy the favoritism when you give the board. Plus, you establish a network in california (very helpful). But this is there first class. Michigan has been doing this for 130 years! If I were you, I would go to Western just cuz you are planning to start a family soon.

As for me, I'm still debating.....

good luck with your choice! :thumbup:

Thanks for your opinions Pearly Pearl and everyone else.

I've actually decided to go to Michigan. Starting a family will probably be a bit more difficult - but at least I'll be guarantee to be able to support that family when I'm out of school. I decided that going to Western was taking too much of a chance -- the lack of buildings built really worries me, even if they promise they will be done by our second year. Plus - while I know a decision shouldn't be made on looks -- Western is literally built from an old mini-mall and I think I'd rather live across the country than in Pomona.

Thanks for all your advice. Pearly Pearl - if you decide to go to Michigan PM me!