Michigan secondary course entry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandflea

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi there. question for all of you who have started working on the michigan secondary:

i'm trying to enter my coursework in accordance with their requirements, as listed right above the course entry section. however, they don't seem to provide enough spaces for me to enter enough coursework to fulfill their credit hour requirements. for example, there are only two blanks to enter both gen chem and orgo, and one extra blank to enter labs. the labs at my schools were combined with the lecture, so there was no separate course to register for and no additional credit hours beyond what we got for the lecture--so i have to leave that line blank. since my school is on a quarter calendar, each course is only 'worth' 2.7 semester hours--so if i only list two chem courses, which is all there is room for me to list, then that's only 5.4 hours, not 8 like they require for chem.

i hope i make sense. is anyone else in the same situation, and how are you getting around this? i haven't tried listing two courses in a single blank, but i'm not sure that even works.

good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

You dont have to leave the line completely blank.. You can type info in there manually as well.

I would type a short note stating that my lab was combined with the lecture course listed in the other entry.

Members don't see this ad :)
actually i did do this, in addition to indicating on each 'lecture' blank that the lecture included a lab, which is what the app instructs us to do.

but i guess i was more concerned about the fact that there are only two blanks for me to list 8 hours-worth of chem courses, and each of my courses are only 2.7 hours. thus, there is only room enough for me to list 5.4 hours-worth of chem courses and i don't want the adcom to think that i haven't taken the full gen chem or organic requirements. i think it's odd that there are only two blanks to cover two entire years-worth of chem courses, as they seem to group both general and organic chemistry under their umbrella '8-hour' chemistry requirement.

how did you handle this, baylor21? or were you not in this situation?

OK yeah I see what you are saying.

I'm on the semester system so my classes meet the required hours without needing extra blanks.

I guess theres nothing you can really do with the way they programmed their secondary. Maybe you could mail them a letter along with your certification page and fee stating the situation and listing out all of your courses and how they fulfill the chem requirements.

thanks for the reply, baylor21. i guess i'll just drop michigan an email to see what they want me to do. i know that they'll have my AMCAS app but i figure they're asking us to sum up our pre-med requirements for a reason.

Did you get a reply to the email you sent?
If so, could you please post what they said?Much thanks.

i got a reply and was told to just be creative with how i list my coursework, even just listing the course numbers if i want so that the adcom can refer to my AMCAS app. but apparently it isn't a big deal how you fill out the secondary, as long as all your info is there.

hope this helps.

On the Michigan secondary, it says to list enough classes to meet the minimal requirements. But there are 6 spaces for non-science classes. I only need to list 3 classes to reach the minimal 12 credits. Did you think I should fill in the other spaces anyway? I feel nervous leaving them empty.