Michigan State or Tufts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snoopy69

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone here that goes to either and can offer their opinion on their school? Why you chose it and how do you like it?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a first year student at Michigan State. I am an out-of-stater, moved most of the way across the country to attend here (I am a SoCal girl, born and raised).

I chose MSU for a few reasons... the campus is beautiful, the school is comfortable, they don't track (a BIG selling point for me), and MSU gives students a chance for 6 more months in clinics, and I loved the faculty and the facilities.

I can't comment on the curriculum, since the Class of 2011 will have a different one than we have. What I can say is that they have organized the new curriculum by applying changes that students had recommended over the last 5 years. Also, unlike most vet schools, MSU is very dedicated to the success of the students, and work very hard to keep us on track.

Any other specific questions, let me know- I would be glad to answer them.

Jenn

I don't go to either, but I did research with the Dean at Tufts. She's awesome. There's my two cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you leaning towards any certain specialty of vet med? That will help in your decision, as MSU and Tufts have different areas of expertise.

I am a first year student at Michigan State. I am an out-of-stater, moved most of the way across the country to attend here (I am a SoCal girl, born and raised).

I chose MSU for a few reasons... the campus is beautiful, the school is comfortable, they don't track (a BIG selling point for me), and MSU gives students a chance for 6 more months in clinics, and I loved the faculty and the facilities.

I can't comment on the curriculum, since the Class of 2011 will have a different one than we have. What I can say is that they have organized the new curriculum by applying changes that students had recommended over the last 5 years. Also, unlike most vet schools, MSU is very dedicated to the success of the students, and work very hard to keep us on track.

Any other specific questions, let me know- I would be glad to answer them.

Jenn

Totally off topic but I am moving to MI from soCal so I have to ask... Did you use a moving company? Any tips?:confused:

Totally off topic but I am moving to MI from soCal so I have to ask... Did you use a moving company? Any tips?:confused:

No, sorry to mislead you... Moved here from Davis, where I got my BS (and lots of it... jk). Anyhow, We drove straight over on the 80, which was 5 miles south of our house in Davis, and goes across the country, passing just under the southern tip of Lake Michigan.

We did not hire a moving company for 2 reasons: 1, I am a freak and was terrified of having our stuff held hostage by some shady moving company. And, 2, $, moola, dough, bucks... you get the drift. We packed up our stuff in a 24ft moving van and drove it across by ourselves. The hardest part was finding motels in convenient points that would allow our dogs to stay in the room with us.

Have you been here? It gets WAY muggy during the summer, and there's this funny thing that happens in the winter where FROZEN WATER comes out of the sky! And it's cold. No, really, not kidding.

But, seriously, I love it here. I have been blessed, and, plus, hubby has stated that he will "never move again." I hope he's kidding. Our house is WAY small!

Tips: start early packing your stuff. Don't think that because you have a small kitchen that it will only take an hour to pack it, if you're renting, pull out the fridge and vacuum and mop where it sits (that one cost me $150). Sell EVERYTHING that isn't sentimental. Bed set, couch, TV, pots and pans (unless you're a gourmand), entertainment center, washer, dryer, full size portable dishwasher (what were we thinking?), etc...

More tips: depending on when you want to move, reserve the truck as early as possible- Summer months CA runs out of moving vans (ask me how I know... moved twice in 3 years). THINK about whether you want to give up the beach. A few of my colleagues are also from CA and are WAY bummed and miss the sand. It was never my thing, even though I grew up in Surf City (Huntington Beach).

If you have pets, get the AAA guidebook for every state you will cross through, and plan on at least a full day reserving rooms to stay in on the way across- don't be surprised when the guidebook says they take pets, but then you call them and they only will allow cats in carriers and laugh out loud at you because you are trying to move across the country with a 100# dog. It's not funny.

Any other specific questions you have, give me a pm at my email
jfitzpatri8 @gmail.com

Good luck to you.

J