michigan state university vs. university of wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1vethopeful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between Michigan State University and the University of Wisconsin. I'm wondering if any current students might want to comment about their school as far as curriculum (esp. teaching style, instructors and electives) life style and the student body? pros and cons? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This is very simple, which ever school is the cheapest in the end, go there. Both are very good schools, in the end, the only thing that will matter will be how many years it will take to pay it off.

Hi 1vethopeful,
I have to respectfully disagree with the "choose the cheapest school" route. I'm a first year at Michigan State right now. I chose it over my in-state school (Ohio State), am paying a lot more, but DO NOT regret it. I love where I am and it fits me better.

When you try to decide, take everything into account. Where the school is, how much it is, and how well you see yourself fitting in. Ask about their policy on first/second years in the clinic!! That was the thing that clinched MSU for me. They are really open here about shadowing in the clinic during your first years. I sit in the equine hospital and study on the weekends, and the residents and vets will come and get you when they have a cool case. I've even gotten to scrub in and assist a couple colic surgeries. The other thing is to find a current student, and ask ask ask about anything you need to know! Make sure that you are really going to be happy wherever you go. Vet school is hard, and liking your situation makes it easier. Both schools are good, so was my in-state school. I just didn't like the big city atmosphere. I love Michigan State, and am so glad this is where I am at. Feel free to email me if you have any specific questions. Are you going to come and tour it before you decide?